The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lazy isn't the opposite of smart though is it?

I would think that yes it can make them lazy compared to before we had the internet - now you don't have to read a whole book looking for a relevant section, you can just google a sentence and get a concise website that gives key points or whatever. So they are probably not doing so much reading or labour intensive research etc.

I suppose you could say on that basis they are less "smart" but that depends on your definition of smart and whether it's an inherent trait or the product of study. Aaargh!

All in all we have it a lot easier these days with the internet I reckon..
I picked no, it’s not making them lazy :confused: they were lazy before :p:
Reply 3
I voted for the depends option, I think that using the internet for studing and research is a great idea, however if you're using it for gaming then it can just make you lazy.
Reply 4
Lazy because of the way we use it, but it did have the potential for smarter.
Reply 5
It's taken from an advert by AOL.

I'd say it depends how you use it. I did my physics coursework, which was on superconductors, being totally dependent on the internet. I could have taken a visit to Reading University for some research, or use the British Library in London, but I just didn't have the time.
Reply 6
both im getting smarter and lazier
Reply 7
It depends...some people use it to do research, however a lot of people tend to rely on the essays other people have put together rather than using resources to construct their own. I think the internet is a good source of new information for children, but the amount of plagiarism should be cut down.
Can't we have both?

News sites, places like TSR and Wikipedia: help us learn and discuss things with convenience

instant messaging, home shopping: makes us lazy
Reply 9
Both; it makes them lazy and smart.
Reply 10
People who blaim things on lazyness are kidding themselves. Lazyness is solely the persons own fault, and blaiming it on the internet for example is just a cheap escape, instead of facing up to ones own motivation.
Reply 11
Is it just me or is the poll question somewhat very confusing???

Is the internet making school children lazy or smart? Yes or No?

Surely it should be Lazy or Smart

Oh - and my answer would be lazy including myself
Reply 12
Hehehe, yeah, you can't answer yes or no to that question.

Access to the internet SHOULD aid learning but I doubt many children use it for that.
Reply 13
I think Internet use encourages people to make polls with unclear, difficult to interpret options
Reply 14
bobbob
I think Internet use encourages people to make polls with unclear, difficult to interpret options

I see what you did there. :wink:
I would say that it is making people sloppier, and lazier about their written English. But it does help us be 'smarter' as we can discuss things easily and at our convenience.
NDGAARONDI
Is the internet making school children lazy or smart?

/discuss

Hmm... well i certainly don't think its helping. The internet has become an over used resource in my view. You still can't beat a good book and children are losing the ability to use them. The internet has its place but I dont see how it is of hugebenefits to the education of children.
Tarts_n_Vicars
Lazy isn't the opposite of smart though is it?

I would think that yes it can make them lazy compared to before we had the internet - now you don't have to read a whole book looking for a relevant section, you can just google a sentence and get a concise website that gives key points or whatever. So they are probably not doing so much reading or labour intensive research etc.

That's exactly what I was going to say. :smile:
Reply 18
NDGAARONDI

Is the internet making school children lazy or smart?

Yes
No
Depends
the poll options aren't making sense...
except the last one...
Reply 19
you can't give yes/no answers to that question

Latest

Trending

Trending