The Student Room Group

Is the Latymer School, Edmonton worth the hype?

I've applied to the Latymer School, Edmonton for sixth form and taken the test (not sure if I've gotten in yet) but now I'm second guessing if I should even be considering moving from my current school. I've read some reviews and some say it's full of snobby, toxic people and that the teaching isn't even that great. Can anyone confirm please?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Aimee9675
I've applied to the Latymer School, Edmonton for sixth form and taken the test (not sure if I've gotten in yet) but now I'm second guessing if I should even be considering moving from my current school. I've read some reviews and some say it's full of snobby, toxic people and that the teaching isn't even that great. Can anyone confirm please?

I joined in year 12 and that seems pretty exaggerated. You'll always get some people you don't like in a year but generally when I joined the internals were very welcoming and I was able to integrate pretty easily, despite obviously the process of moving to a new school being quite stressful. When going to a new school you'll always have to put yourself forward to get to know people and be involved in extra-curricular stuff. The teachers are pretty good and are always willing to clear up anything you're stuck on, but again you have to put yourself forward (and the majority of people don't), which seems to be the case in any state school environment. Keep in mind that one reason Latymer does so well is also due to the fact that it's a selective school, and that the students generally have quite an academic attitude to begin with. Some teachers are better than others, but that goes for anywhere really. There were lots of extracurricular activities to get involved in, but obviously that's restricted quite a lot now due to covid.

Making this decision really depends on where you currently go, whether you're happy, whether you want the experience of moving to a new school etc.

I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by UrLocalATPmole
I joined in year 12 and that seems pretty exaggerated. You'll always get some people you don't like in a year but generally when I joined the internals were very welcoming and I was able to integrate pretty easily, despite obviously the process of moving to a new school being quite stressful. When going to a new school you'll always have to put yourself forward to get to know people and be involved in extra-curricular stuff. The teachers are pretty good and are always willing to clear up anything you're stuck on, but again you have to put yourself forward (and the majority of people don't), which seems to be the case in any state school environment. Keep in mind that one reason Latymer does so well is also due to the fact that it's a selective school, and that the students generally have quite an academic attitude to begin with. Some teachers are better than others, but that goes for anywhere really. There were lots of extracurricular activities to get involved in, but obviously that's restricted quite a lot now due to covid.

Making this decision really depends on where you currently go, whether you're happy, whether you want the experience of moving to a new school etc.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you so much! Out of interest, do you notice a difference in teaching? Some of the teachers of the school I currently go to say that the teaching there isn't anything special - its just all of the kids are super academic and have tutors. Obviously a lot of the children will be very bright but I always assumed there would be a difference in teaching too.
Thank you so much! Out of interest, do you notice a difference in teaching? Some of the teachers of the school I currently go to say that the teaching there isn't anything special - its just all of the kids are super academic and have tutors. Obviously a lot of the children will be very bright but I always assumed there would be a difference in teaching too.

Again, it varies, and a few are great, but my general impression is that the teachers aren't anything fantastic overall. As I said, the kids are mostly the reason the school performs so well to begin with. How good the teachers are compared to your current school depends on where you go. Could I ask where that is if you don't mind just for context? If it's a private school then yeah, the teachers and pastoral support at Latymer are probably of a lower quality due to greater pressure on them.

Don't let the fact that a lot of them might have tutors put you off, if you learn to develop a good work ethic you can still do better. I feel like a lot of kids at Latymer wouldn't admit to having a tutor to be perfectly honest. I've been told by friends that the lower years are more cutthroat in terms of the environment, but in my experience the sixth form is generally pretty relaxed.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4

I can pretty much confirm everything you wrote. I went to Laytmer for 6th form (I’m now in a gap year) and to be honest it wasn’t as good as it’s made out to be. The only time they are ever good is when the Ofsted inspectors are there. I did Maths and Sciences + economics and computer science (outside of school) and I just found that the teachers there were not all that, they rely on students to be smart and get good test results. Also they don’t really value teaching for learning, they teach specifically for tests, there are pretty much tests every 2 weeks for all subjects and everyone makes a huge deal out of them because they all think they’re so smart there. Not a good environment really, although the smart students will always help you out on homework, I suppose that’s one of the good things.

It’s a weird environment and to be honest I don’t recommend it. If you do end up going then you might need to get a few tutors outside of school because the teachers are somewhat lazy and you may fall behind all the smarty pants.
For anyone already in latymer could you please tell me about the dress code 😭 I'm thinking about going in September but have literally no information on anything except the school day which is September 5th I'm sure. The website is useless 💀 but as well as the dress code could you also tell me about the school day so when school starts and when it finishes?
Reply 6
Original post by snowball_attack
For anyone already in latymer could you please tell me about the dress code 😭 I'm thinking about going in September but have literally no information on anything except the school day which is September 5th I'm sure. The website is useless 💀 but as well as the dress code could you also tell me about the school day so when school starts and when it finishes?

No dress code for 6th form, wear anything you want, the day finished at 3:10 from what I remember although if you had an early finish at like break time for example, you could just go home and didn’t have to hand around for anything.
Original post by TMan77
No dress code for 6th form, wear anything you want, the day finished at 3:10 from what I remember although if you had an early finish at like break time for example, you could just go home and didn’t have to hand around for anything.

Okay thank you so much. Are you gonna go latymer?
Reply 8
Okay thank you so much. Are you gonna go latymer?

No I went to Latymer a few years ago.
Original post by TMan77
No I went to Latymer a few years ago.

Oh okay 😂 I'm starting tomorrow
Reply 10
Oh okay 😂 I'm starting tomorrow

Good luck, study hard
Original post by TMan77
Good luck, study hard

Thank you. Took one look at my timetable and I know I'mma need to work harder than before
I got SA'd by a boy at the school when I attended. This boy was chasing me and would not stop to escape him I ran into the boys changing rooms just to escape him. Unfortunately noone was in there and he got me in a corner and groped my boobs and my bum. I tried my hardest to fight this boy off he was very forceful and relentless but I'm very small and this bot was very very big I think I was maybe in year 9. I even got a scratch on my hand which left a scar for a few years on my right hand. But I really did try my hardest to fight this boy off. Not long after that Mr King a pe teacher said to me
I go to latymer currently, some teachers are GOATed while others can be mediocre. I haven't seen any fights or bullying, most people are quite friendly and happy to help when you're stuck. Tests are a big thing, although a good few don't revise for them. The school is really good for getting you into University (over 10% get into Oxbridge, about 15% get into medicine or vet med, I think about 80% go to Russel Group Universities), they give mock interviews but there is no help for entrance exam prep. Overall I would say its very much worth it coming to Latymer, but you're gonna have to work HARD, especially in second year.
Original post by Confucius123
I go to latymer currently, some teachers are GOATed while others can be mediocre. I haven't seen any fights or bullying, most people are quite friendly and happy to help when you're stuck. Tests are a big thing, although a good few don't revise for them. The school is really good for getting you into University (over 10% get into Oxbridge, about 15% get into medicine or vet med, I think about 80% go to Russel Group Universities), they give mock interviews but there is no help for entrance exam prep. Overall I would say its very much worth it coming to Latymer, but you're gonna have to work HARD, especially in second year.

I cant disagree there, the multitude of tests are hard to keep up with, and it is stressful especially when you dont score as greatly as the people around you. I take it youre in the second year? good luck for your exams!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending