The Student Room Group

what age do you think a person should get a phone?

title

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don’t think age is so much relevant rather than circumstances. I grew up with divorced parents and so got my first phone at 9, it wasn’t anything fancy but I could contact my parents without having to go through the other one. I also think things like commuting to school plays a big part, if you are walking to school or travelling distance it’s important your parents can contact you for safety (sadly the world isn’t what it used to be).
Reply 2
I'd say you should have one going into Secondary School as you need to be able to contact your parents easily at that stage as you have to be more independent in Secondary School.
I agree with @ALEreapp that it's down to circumstance.

My 13 year old doesn't have one because he doesn't need one yet.
Whereas when my (now) 15 year old was 11, he had one because he started high school and they required him to have a phone for the homework app.

I was 16 when I first got one, but prior to that I used phone boxes. I would have been alright continuing to use phone boxes at that point, but I got a moped and my mam was worried I might break down somewhere remote, so she got me a phone.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
The age at which they can afford to buy their own.:wink:
Reply 5
um when theyre mature enough ig...say about 14/15/16
Reply 6
If tthere is a need for it, I think age would not matter
Reply 7
Original post by rodiane17
If tthere is a need for it, I think age would not matter

it kinda does, i mean would u rlly give it to a 7/8 yr old if there was a need for it
they could do all sorts on there...
Reply 8
Original post by A____J
it kinda does, i mean would u rlly give it to a 7/8 yr old if there was a need for it
they could do all sorts on there...

The question is, why would a 7-8 yr old need it? Also there is a thing called like guided/restricted access. Im not sure how exactly it works, but if you wish them not to do anything crazy with their phone, I think you would do some research on it
Reply 9
The question is, why would a 7-8 yr old need it? Also there is a thing called like guided/restricted access. Im not sure how exactly it works, but if you wish them not to do anything crazy with their phone, I think you would do some research on it

u did said age doesnt matter. ig thats true but tbh, they should be mature enough. why does a kid need a phone anyway?
Reply 10
Original post by A____J
u did said age doesnt matter. ig thats true but tbh, they should be mature enough. why does a kid need a phone anyway?

I did mention, IF there is a NEED for it. I think age doesnt matter

Like, a seven yr old lives in a shady place and needs a phone for emergencies etc. Or a 6//7 yr old lives with grandparent because parents live abroad, they would need one to communicate with their parents right? Then they need to have guidance on using it, like grandparents only allowing them to use it when their parents called.
Reply 11
I did mention, IF there is a NEED for it. I think age doesnt matter

Like, a seven yr old lives in a shady place and needs a phone for emergencies etc. Or a 6//7 yr old lives with grandparent because parents live abroad, they would need one to communicate with their parents right? Then they need to have guidance on using it, like grandparents only allowing them to use it when their parents called.

ok, ok.
( but like couldnt they ask their grandparent to call them or use the house phone....?)

anyway, lets end it here. what ur sayings true but in a general situation or scenario, they should be like kinda old ish - mature
Reply 12
In this day and age I think you would be putting your child at risk if they do not have a phone on them - considering they are mature enough to have one, for example starting secondary school. Without a phone I feel it would be more of a hassle for the parents and the child since you need to contact them if they go out/ you need to collect them from somewhere i.e school. This being said it's important for boundaries to be set and put restrictions in place to make sure they're not accessing sketchy sites.
Never, lest they be enticed into the hellish realm they call TikTok
Reply 14
In this world you need to be careful what age to give your kid a phone. I agree with the comments before about its needed to contact them. But when there mature enough id say 15/16 even 14 BUT limits on them is a must. You cant hand over the phone and thats it you need to keep them on limits like only spending a limited amount of time a day on it. Theres many downsides to phone usage like bad eyesight at a young age for being on it too much, someone mentioned here about tiktok… definitely the way tiktok can ruin a childs innocence. Kids also do silly things without thinking, like contacting people with personal info. You need to have rules and limits in place for them to behave well with a phone. Regualrly check up on them.
Reply 15
Original post by zainab1321
In this world you need to be careful what age to give your kid a phone. I agree with the comments before about its needed to contact them. But when there mature enough id say 15/16 even 14 BUT limits on them is a must. You cant hand over the phone and thats it you need to keep them on limits like only spending a limited amount of time a day on it. Theres many downsides to phone usage like bad eyesight at a young age for being on it too much, someone mentioned here about tiktok… definitely the way tiktok can ruin a childs innocence. Kids also do silly things without thinking, like contacting people with personal info. You need to have rules and limits in place for them to behave well with a phone. Regualrly check up on them.

yup totally agree with u there...perfect answer
Original post by oursgrace
title

Considering I would need to be a dad one day all my kids would get their mobile phones at the age of 12 so I can contact them, know their whereabouts and track their location.
Reply 17
Original post by Mohammed_80
Considering I would need to be a dad one day all my kids would get their mobile phones at the age of 12 so I can contact them, know their whereabouts and track their location.

lol ig thats true but would u put restricted stuff on or would u not rlly care
Reply 18
Also to add on to my previous message in hope you all keep this in mind, even if they are mature at 15, we still do silly things at that age. How many of us have done silly things on the internet we regret? Musically days etc… the tech world is getting worse where kids mature faster due to things being more exposed on every app theres no age restriction much on videos anymore. Definitely check up on your kids all the time when on their phones like their friends they have on there what are they watching doing, set rules for social media always say no to strangers online. You never know how easily people fake thier personality on the internet and seem there nice and trick your kids in thinking its okay to tell them their location and meet up. No phones in bed is also a good rule its not strict its good they should be getting good sleep during school and they might be tempted to do silly stuff at night. You never know. Just take your kids out often i would never like my kids have tech in there faces 24/7 its not good for their eyesight either.
Original post by A____J
lol ig thats true but would u put restricted stuff on or would u not rlly care

I would restrict them from social media they can treat themselves to gaming but in that period of time me and the misses would expect them to concentrate on their GCSES

Quick Reply

Latest