The Student Room Group

Medicine 2013 entrant hopefuls :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Zedd
Hey, after some deliberation I've decided to apply to medicine 2013 after all! Anyone here planning on applying to any of the Scottish medical schools?

...Judas.
Reply 181
Original post by Norton1
...Judas.

:tongue:

True to some extent. I came to further education and university with the intention of studying medicine in the first place. Given my chances with the degree I have, to get into medicine in Scotland probably won't happen (hence my pragmatism). But, after talking to a friend I've decided to shoot for it anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 182
So yeah, any graduates and/or people applying to the Scottish medical schools?
Reply 183
Original post by Zedd
:tongue:

True to some extent. I came to further education and university with the intention of studying medicine in the first place. Given my chances with the degree I have, to get into medicine in Scotland probably won't happen (hence my pragmatism). But, after talking to a friend I've decided to shoot for it anyway. If push comes to shove and I don't get in then I'll apply to do post-grad or the accelerated ll.b at Edinburgh as they have a late application date.

Wow. For once the correct advice is follow your dreams.

This may be the first time in the history of the world this has ever been the case.
Reply 184
Original post by Norton1
Wow. For once the correct advice is follow your dreams.

This may be the first time in the history of the world this has ever been the case.

Cheers! Although I might take this as a future solicitor killing off the competition :wink: But yeah, hopefully the fact that I ended up doing philosophy is actually a selling point over and above the thousands of biomedical graduate applicants that schools must get every year :/
I don't think I've posted on this thread before..

You might have seen me around, I'm one of your moderators that specifically helps to look after the medicine forum, if you've got any questions you're stuck on and can't find the answer to then I can usually be of assistance, or if you just fancy a chat then I'll probably be around :tongue:

But I'm here to ask for some help this time so...

Hello everyone!

Would really appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to see this thread and respond to it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2057790

We (TSR Medicine Mods) would love to get your opinions/thoughts on the page in question so we can try and improve it to make it more useful to you :smile:

Thanks,
PSQ
Reply 186
Original post by Zedd
Hey, after some deliberation I've decided to apply to medicine 2013 after all! Anyone here planning on applying to any of the Scottish medical schools?

Yeah i am. Im thinking of st andrews or maybe glasgow
Reply 187
Original post by bobkat
Yeah i am. Im thinking of st andrews or maybe glasgow

I've considered Glasgow but I wouldn't fancy my chances as a graduate, hence why I'm sticking with the east coast schools. I don't even fancy my chances with Edinburgh either come to think of it :/
Hi, I'm applying for 2013 entry hopefully to Glasgow. Not sat my UKCAT yet and I'll be a mature student at 32.
From another thread

Hey I'm just interested on knowing people applying for medicine this year..what preparations have you done? There is no UKCAT test centre in my country but I wanna take it so I might go somewhere else to take it..do you think it would be a disadvantage if I don't take it and apply for an exemption instead?and have you started writing your personal statements?

No, I don't think you would be. There are exemptions for a reason, and they can't expect anyone in abroad countries without test centres to pay often extortionate travel costs. I imagine they'd just have to evaluate you based on your other academic qualifications, personal statement and possibly interview.
hey I am currently in a very unfortunate situation. I did GCSE's but unfortunately my grades weren't as good as I wanted them to be because 1st of all, I only did it for like half a year (because my school was so stupid that they allowed me to enter year 11 without being in year 10 first) 2nd the reason why I did it for only half a year was because of the uprising that occurred in my country..before being able to sit the exams in my school the uprising began and we had to move out (leaving my family and relatives there) because I was emotionally stressed and I was so miserable cus I didnt know how to study for it..i kind of did bad..I got all C's and above except for biology I got a D (because during my 6 months of gcse, we didnt have a permanent teacher, they kept on changing so we didn't learn anything)..sorry for the rant but I really want you guys to see the picture..

But fortunately, now I had the chance to do IB..I wont say that I am doing very well but average I guess..Im not the smartest in my classes but I am good I guess.. I know that I can do good if i study hard and thats what Im doing now to cope with my failure in gcse's.. I got 32 points (without the 3 bonus points) in my end of year exams which I think didnt really show my capabilities since we were swamped with work that week..I am really motivated to do well and get into medicine..i am entering year 13 this coming school year and the uni's that I want to apply to are King's, UCL, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Manchester..I havent been to any of these uni's and I dont really know much about them aside from the info they provide in their websites..

SOrry for the really long post but i just wanna ask how would my GCSE grades affect my chance of getting into these uni's?I really like to do medicine and there's no other field that i want to do other than medicine..I literally cant see myself not being a doctor in the future!! Any advice on what should I do? :/

Thanks!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 191
Original post by Zedd

I am thinking of applying to glasgow, edinburgh, aberdeen as a graduate!
Original post by Ama2007

:biggrin:
Reply 193
Original post by Ama2007

Glad to see graduate applicants coming out of the wood work now! :biggrin:

Which would be your firm, insurance, etc?
Original post by medicinelove

SOrry for the really long post but i just wanna ask how would my GCSE grades affect my chance of getting into these uni's?I really like to do medicine and there's no other field that i want to do other than medicine..I literally cant see myself not being a doctor in the future!! Any advice on what should I do? :/

Thanks!!

Hey,

I'm also a 2013 medicine applicant! Don't worry, due to your extenuating circumstance, universities will take them into consideration when making their decisions. Just make sure that your referee mentions your circumstances on their reference when completing your UCAS application.
But just in case, due to your GCSE's, it wouldn't be a good idea to apply to either:

Birmingham, Cardiff, Oxford, Edinburgh, Kings, BSMS, Belfast, Bristol
East Anglia, York or Imperial.

Universities that are not as GCSE dependant would be:

Peninsuala, Durham, Leicester (make sure the rest of your application is good to score sufficient marks to be invited for an interview), Cambridge or Southampton (if your PS is outstanding) and a few others.
Universities will contextualise your application and put your grades into context. If they believe that your grades were simply out of your control then they will put more emphasis on your other qualities.
Getting into medicine is not impossible. Just have faith in your ability and play to your strengths! Never give up and keep going!! You'll get there and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

EDIT: Just as a backup, I would consider applying to one Bio-med course and enter medicine as a graduate and apply for an accelerated graduate medicine course (which only takes 4 years instead of 5-6)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by medicinelove
hey I am currently in a very unfortunate situation. I did GCSE's but unfortunately my grades weren't as good as I wanted them to be because 1st of all, I only did it for like half a year (because my school was so stupid that they allowed me to enter year 11 without being in year 10 first) 2nd the reason why I did it for only half a year was because of the uprising that occurred in my country..before being able to sit the exams in my school the uprising began and we had to move out (leaving my family and relatives there) because I was emotionally stressed and I was so miserable cus I didnt know how to study for it..i kind of did bad..I got all C's and above except for biology I got a D (because during my 6 months of gcse, we didnt have a permanent teacher, they kept on changing so we didn't learn anything)..sorry for the rant but I really want you guys to see the picture..

But fortunately, now I had the chance to do IB..I wont say that I am doing very well but average I guess..Im not the smartest in my classes but I am good I guess.. I know that I can do good if i study hard and thats what Im doing now to cope with my failure in gcse's.. I got 32 points (without the 3 bonus points) in my end of year exams which I think didnt really show my capabilities since we were swamped with work that week..I am really motivated to do well and get into medicine..i am entering year 13 this coming school year and the uni's that I want to apply to are King's, UCL, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Manchester..I havent been to any of these uni's and I dont really know much about them aside from the info they provide in their websites..

Thanks!!

Do you think you would qualify for this? http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/emdp/alpha/MNO/header_search/

Not sure if there are as GCSE dependent as the standard 5-year course
hi :smile:
just looking for another thread about 2013 medicine .... im a re-applicant finished year 13, dont know what im going to do! all depending on results :L
Original post by Einy
Hey, just wanna say to those apllying for this next year. Something i did for my UCAS form was write articles for a medical company on a range of subjects. it was certainly one of those things that made my form stand out a bit, because it was something no one else had done If anyone would like i can give you their email address and you can get in contact.

what sort of articles did you write?
Reply 198
Original post by Zedd
Glad to see graduate applicants coming out of the wood work now! :biggrin:

Which would be your firm, insurance, etc?

I know this may sound stupid...but what do you mean be firm? I assume you mean first choice? if so then that would be Glasgow Uni (based purely on location).

Just incase your wondering I ve never applied through UCAS so not a genius on all the technical words associated with it...and I have just passed my pre-registration exam Thus, I finally have sometime to set and work on med application.

Any advice on which uni are more likely to consider graduates? I know scottish uni dont do the GEM course so i will have to go with the 5-year course:smile:
Reply 199
Original post by Zedd
So yeah, any graduates and/or people applying to the Scottish medical schools?

Hiya! I'm an international student with a degree in neurophysiology & linguistics and I'll be applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Dundee. Just spent a semester studying in Glasgow and fell in love with Scotland and the Scottish. Lovely country and lovely people :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending