The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

loughborough or leicester?

i plan on doing master in communication and media studies and have gotten an admit from both my top chocies!
could you all help me with which uni to pick , i have 2 main reqs: nice social life and a decent job as a fresher.
just read too much about the city being really small and dull. as i am easily prone to being depressed , do u think this will be the right decision.
Reply 1
They kind of come out similar on paper, don't they? For this subject, at undergraduate level at least, Loughborough is currently ranked best of all universities for this subject when all criteria is taken in to account. Loughborough is ranked top of all universities for general 'success' of its graduates after studying this (perhaps the fact that Loughborough undergraduate entrants for this course have higher average A Level grades contributes to this). Leicester is ranked top out of all universities for the, in my opinion, arguably more important graduate success in currently doing activity related to their degree. Leicester say they've been doing media research since 1966.
(edited 2 months ago)
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by Picnicl
They kind of come out similar on paper, don't they? For this subject, at undergraduate level at least, Loughborough is currently ranked best of all universities for this subject when all criteria is taken in to account. Loughborough is ranked top of all universities for general 'success' of its graduates after studying this (perhaps the fact that Loughborough undergraduate entrants for this course have higher average A Level grades contributes to this). Leicester is ranked top out of all universities for the, in my opinion, arguably more important graduate success in currently doing activity related to their degree.
essentially you mean ti say that leicester will be a better choice for masters in this course
Reply 3
Original post by spongeb88b
essentially you mean ti say that leicester will be a better choice for masters in this course
I can't know that. I always suggest visit each place, see what your facilities will be for this subject, does the campus and accommodation and general town/city make you feel happy and inspired.
My history is at Leicester University, studying English. They are both East Midlands universities of a similar age. There was once even talk of merging them. I think Leicester is seen as a more 'traditional' university (it teaches Medicine and Law and, to start with, it used to have its degrees awarded by the University of London a long time ago), partly because much of its physical impression e.g. its halls of residences accommodation is converted classic houses and its main building (for the Law dept when I was there) used to be a Victorian asylum. Partly because Loughborough was so strongly known for Sport. However, Loughborough is regularly above Leicester in league tables these days, including for average entry grades. I'd like to visit Loughborough some time to see how it feels. Does it more have the feel of a 1960s campus university or does a traditional feel come through as well as I know it does have a few classic old buildings.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1
i plan on doing master in communication and media studies and have gotten an admit from both my top chocies!
could you all help me with which uni to pick , i have 2 main reqs: nice social life and a decent job as a fresher.
just read too much about the city being really small and dull. as i am easily prone to being depressed , do u think this will be the right decision.
Hi there,

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough!

Loughborough is very much a student town and as you are on a campus there is a great community feel. I love the fact that everything you need is in one place- and the facilities are amazing. During the week most social events happens on campus through the Student Union. For example there tend to be 2 nights out in the week (Wednesday and Friday) and events during the day which differ week to week. Take a look at our student union website for more insight here. At the weekends more seems to happen off campus. In town (which is walking distance from campus) there are multiple pubs, bars, cafe's, restaurants and nightclubs which tend to be full of students at the weekend. There is so much to get involved in and so many opportunities including sport, RAG and lots more.

Regarding a job I would say there are good opportunities on and off campus. Last year I worked a part-time job on campus but lot's of my friends worked in different places in town. I would say there are plenty of options.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please do ask 🙂

Alex

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending