The Student Room Group

Biggest fear when starting uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Your New Shoes
The worst thing is when you know they can't remember your name, and you really want to remind them without making it too awkward but there's just no normal way to slip in " btw I know you can't remember my name it's..." :s-smilie:

Somehow I'm afraid that people won't call me out for a night out because they don't remember my name :sigh:
Reply 221
I guess it would be not getting on with flat/course mates. :tongue:
Reply 222
Not being able to cook and generally living without my parents and having to do for myself the things they used to do for me. Before I went to uni I don't think I had ever gone more then a week without seeing one of my parents.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Does anyone else on this site actually drink?

yep, and because I genuinally love the taste.
Original post by bethany18
I'm not living in the halls so i'm pretty worried i won't make friends/be left out because of it :/ do you have to be in the dorms to go to freshers or just basically be there all the time then go home at night? I'm really looking forward to the whole freshers thing but im worried i'll miss out on loads of the experience?Anyone? Plus do you think in september there'll be less people living in because of the costs etc.?

I am in the same situation, I will be living at home and I am so scared that I won't be able to meet / make new friends because I am not with others from the uni if that makes any sense :/
Reply 225
As much as I have tried to change this, I just do not like the taste of alcohol. However, I love clubbing, and nights out, and I love having fun.

But i'm worried noone will call me for a night out just because i don't drink and that's totally weird at my age :frown:
My biggest fear was that I'd have total dicks for flat-mates. Kinda happened, but thankfully it wasn't more than one or two incidents (them drunkenly playing 'music' on pots and pans in kitchen at 5am) - considering how much partying they did they were actually fairly restrained.

I did prefer it in a student house the next year though, you could party when you wanted to, and have a quiet night in when you didn't.
I'm really hoping I don't have boring flatmates who never want to go out but then I don't want flatmates who are all immature 18 yr olds who don't know their limits and throw up everywhere completely uncontrollably either lol I'm hoping for something in the middle... maybe a couple of gorgeous male mature students... that would be nice :smile:

Also can anybody tell me what their first day was like? I think I'll probably make a thread actually if I can't find one..
Original post by rachiesy
As much as I have tried to change this, I just do not like the taste of alcohol. However, I love clubbing, and nights out, and I love having fun.

But i'm worried noone will call me for a night out just because i don't drink and that's totally weird at my age :frown:

I'm sure they won't be like that at all! If you can have fun without booze then they'll probably just be jealous lol

Have you tried smirnoff ice? orange bacardi breezer? archers and lemonade? Not all alcoholic drinks taste like alcohol :smile:
Getting stuck in an accommodation with people i might not get along with

No one likes the taste of alcohol.
Original post by natalieann1993
:frown: one of mine was making an enemy on the first term.
I never seem to find enemies.
And now i have to avoid sitting certain places in lectures, certain groups of people and certain social events to avoid that awkward, oh hey...you hate me.

Maybe you should just have it out with them and say it's getting a bit silly and you just want to be civil?

It really makes no difference, if you go with them anyway and drink whatever soft drink you'd prefer to have instead. Even if they're playing drinking games, just play along but with a non-alcoholic beverage and if you get caught out and have to drink you can just make a joke out of it :smile: be good spirited and nobody will have an issue at all.
Reply 233
Original post by littleone271
I'm sure they won't be like that at all! If you can have fun without booze then they'll probably just be jealous lol

Have you tried smirnoff ice? orange bacardi breezer? archers and lemonade? Not all alcoholic drinks taste like alcohol :smile:

I really hope that'll be the case! But I am worried that, for example, if they want to go out specifically to get drunk, or to play drinking games, or whatever, then I won't be invited.

Yeah, I have tried everything lol! Literally the only thing I drink is water - no other drinks at all, alcoholic or otherwise! I have the weirdest tastebuds EVER!
Reply 234
Original post by dirtyoldriver
It really makes no difference, if you go with them anyway and drink whatever soft drink you'd prefer to have instead. Even if they're playing drinking games, just play along but with a non-alcoholic beverage and if you get caught out and have to drink you can just make a joke out of it :smile: be good spirited and nobody will have an issue at all.

I don't even drink soft drinks - only water!! But hopefully that'll be okay. But i do sort of worry that because it is so totally weird, I might be left out.
Original post by willbee
I was terrified about the communal toilets. I was imagining someone ****ting while I was in the shower or vice versa and I was really dreading it!!! I didn't want to ruin anyone's shower, with that stuff, you know? Anyway, as it turns out, most people have the common sense to not have a shower when someone's doing a smelly **** or to use the other bathroom on the corridor. :P

It sounds really weird admitting that, it's not like I've got bowel issue or anything, just that I like to poop in privacy :s-smilie:

Use your finger and keep it all up when the toilet is empty let it out.:smile:
I really hope that'll be the case! But I am worried that, for example, if they want to go out specifically to get drunk, or to play drinking games, or whatever, then I won't be invited.

Yeah, I have tried everything lol! Literally the only thing I drink is water - no other drinks at all, alcoholic or otherwise! I have the weirdest tastebuds EVER!

Oh that is really weird lol ok well just start drinking other drinks and get used to it? Try getting used to drinking lemonade and then gradually add some archers to it. I don't really know what else to suggest because realistically.. people probably will leave you out a little bit if you never drink anything at all.
Original post by orka
Mine is that I will not make any friends.. :cry2::cry2::cry2: and that I find the workload too much.

Penetrate into the cool group and they will accept you (in freshers).
My Biggest Fear is not making the right friends and also my best mate is in the same uni as I will be going .. and im not sure if i'd be with her or make my own new friends :s-smilie: xx
Original post by ThaChronic
No one likes the taste of alcohol.

i do, especially beer, cider, apple sourz, pimms and vodka and coke/ vodka and lemonade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending