The Student Room Group

really worried about getting a job

hi, I study QS at a rics accredited university number 6th in uk for my subject and 3rd in Scotland, I'm in my first year, my biggest fear is that I will graduate and never get a job ive met allot of people recently who work as uber drivers and delivery drivers with engineering degrees and im scared I will be in that position, Im just scared that im gonna spend 3 years of my life grinding to get this degree then never even get a job and just fail
Reply 1
Original post by denismith
hi, I study QS at a rics accredited university number 6th in uk for my subject and 3rd in Scotland, I'm in my first year, my biggest fear is that I will graduate and never get a job ive met allot of people recently who work as uber drivers and delivery drivers with engineering degrees and im scared I will be in that position, Im just scared that im gonna spend 3 years of my life grinding to get this degree then never even get a job and just fail

I understand your concerns about finding a job after graduating with a QS degree. It's perfectly normal to feel anxious about your future career prospects, especially when you've heard such stories. However, I want to assure you that there is a strong demand for QS's and QS graduates.

Start networking now. If you can, attend industry events, connect with other professionals on LinkedIn, start reaching out to people in the field.

I would suggest working on your CV, send out covering letters to prospective employers explaining that you are currently studying. I would aim for PQS consultancies like Faithful+Gould, Gleeds etc and Tier 1 Main Contractors, Skanska, ISG, NG Bailey, Wates etc, these companies are often looking for talented QS graduates, and they'll offer good salaries and career progression opportunities.

I'll share my own experience. I struggled to find a job in plumbing after obtaining various NVQs (I eventually landed one years later after working in retail!) I transitioned to QS'ing after several years on the tools. Unfortunately, after becoming a QS, a few collegues and I were made redundant, at that point I genuinely believed that my decision to change careers was all over; that no one would want a trainee with no relevant qualifications or degree, just 11 months experience, however the amount of opportunities and job offers waiting for me shocked me. If people without degrees can secure positions, I don't think a graduate shall struggle to find a suitable placement. So, don't give up on. Stay focused, and stay positive.

One more recommendation, this is solely your own preference, but rather than aiming to be a general 'bricks and sticks' QS, look at getting into a specific sector, Defence, Oil & Gas, MEP, Nuclear, etc
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ShanHawk28
I understand your concerns about finding a job after graduating with a QS degree. It's perfectly normal to feel anxious about your future career prospects, especially when you've heard such stories. However, I want to assure you that there is a strong demand for QS's and QS graduates.

Start networking now. If you can, attend industry events, connect with other professionals on LinkedIn, start reaching out to people in the field.

I would suggest working on your CV, send out covering letters to prospective employers explaining that you are currently studying. I would aim for PQS consultancies like Faithful+Gould, Gleeds etc and Tier 1 Main Contractors, Skanska, ISG, NG Bailey, Wates etc, these companies are often looking for talented QS graduates, and they'll offer good salaries and career progression opportunities.

I'll share my own experience. I struggled to find a job in plumbing after obtaining various NVQs (I eventually landed one years later after working in retail!) I transitioned to QS'ing after several years on the tools. Unfortunately, after becoming a QS, many of collegues and I were made redundant, at that point I genuinely believed that the decision to change careers was all over; that no one would want a trainee with no relevant qualifications or degree, just 11 months experience, however the amount of opportunities and job offers waiting for me shocked me. If people without degrees can secure positions, I don't think a graduate shall struggle to find a suitable placement. So, don't give up on. Stay focused, and stay positive.

One more recommendation, this is solely your own preference, but rather than aiming to be a general 'bricks and sticks' QS, look at getting into a specific sector, Defence, Oil & Gas, MEP, Nuclear, etc

thanks brother
Original post by denismith

Hey @denismith 🙂 As above, it's normal to feel anxious about what's next after leaving university, but anything you can do now to boost your CV will serve you well.

The one thing I wish I'd done more when I was at uni was networking and making the most of the Careers Service. They were able to give good advice on things like CVs, interview technique and connections with internships. They ran events throughout the year to support students in applying to jobs and expanding your thoughts on career paths too. Maybe there's things like that happening at your University already you could get involved in?

You could always speak to your lecturers and tutors too, they might have some connections or know some useful info/websites they can point you in the direction of.

Wishing you loads of luck! Your hard work will absolutely pay off!

-Caitlin 😀
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending