The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexissocool
Issues/debates/approaches.

In terms of the first issues can include ethics, methodological, gender bias and cultural differences.
Debates can be reductionism - when phenomena is broken down into simple terms and may also neglect other aspects, free will/determinism - do people have an influence over their behaviour or is it predetermined?, nature vs nurture - are we a product of our genes or does our environment shape our behaviour?
Approaches can be any - Biological, Developmental, Evolutionary (under biological yes), behavioural, Psychodynamic etc.

In order to gain effective A02/A03 credit you can't just say for example something is reductionist you need to explain how and is this a positive aspect or negative.

Let me give you an example; I don't know what topics you're doing but here goes:

A debate that arises when explaining biological rhythms is free will or determinism? Dr Katharina Dalton has often acted as an expert witness and argued that severe Premenstrual Syndrome was akin to a mental disorder and therefore individuals should not be held responsible for their actions. This suggests that biological rhythms may be beyond our control.
On the other hand there is evidence that we can 'will' our biological rhythms to change. For example, in one study people who were told to wake up at times earlier than usual during the night had higher levels of ACTH, which contributes to the waking up process than normal at the designated time and they woke up earlier (Born et al 1999).

Hope that hasn't overloaded you. The key to it all is expansion.

Thanks! That's a lot of help. I don't remember learning any of this and Now, I guess I've gone up a grade :biggrin:
Thanks again! How are you finding revision?
Original post by CollateralElement
Thanks! That's a lot of help. I don't remember learning any of this and Now, I guess I've gone up a grade :biggrin:
Thanks again! How are you finding revision?

Ah that's alright. Yeah you can get a B grade without IDA's but in order for you to get into the top band they are required.
Got an A for AS so need B's this year for an A overall but it would be nice to get A's in these exams so I'm going for it.
Revision...meh slowly but surely haha. What about you?
What topics are you doing?
Hey everyone! :smile: Have just finished Unit 2 so joining you all now. :smile:

Hope everyone's revision's going well. :smile:
A debate that arises with explanations for anorexia nervosa (AN) is nature versus nurture. Biological explanations suggest that AN is due to genetic factors and neurotransmitter activity in the brain (nature) but ignores the influence of social factors on AN such as interactions between individuals in their environment (nurture). The concordance rates provided by twin studies are not 100 per cent so we cannot say that genetics offers a complete explanation for AN which provides non-genetic environmental influences on behaviour. This reflects that AN is neither nature nor nurture but an interaction between the two.

What do you guys think of this IDA I made up?
Reply 584
If anyone is doing media, do you know what A02/A03 marks you can put for the Hovland-Yale model? Thank you
Reply 585
sorry wrong thread
Original post by Bjcross
Evolutionary comes to mind :smile:

Thank you :smile:.
Reply 587
Anybody got an essay for discuss the role of genetic factors in human aggression?
Reply 588
Has lynch mobs been taken out of the spec?? Someone told me it was but I wasn't sure
Reply 589
Hey guys I was just on the AQA website looking at the grade boundaries and the UMS and for the A2 exams it shows that 90 ums is an A*? I always thought that you could get an A* as an overall grade and not on individual units. Anyway I am trying to calculate what i might get.
So far:

Psya1: 67
Psya1: 54
Psya3: 79
Psya4: n/a

Now if i place the "90" (which is what i am aiming for) in for psya 3 and psya 4 it should look like:

Psya3: 90
Psya4: 90

so the total is 301
now the grade for that is a B but i am confused about what AQA say about the A*. Here's the link to support what i am saying! (i sound like a proper psychologist saying that lol)
http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php
Reply 590
Original post by mkigz77
Hey guys I was just on the AQA website looking at the grade boundaries and the UMS and for the A2 exams it shows that 90 ums is an A*? I always thought that you could get an A* as an overall grade and not on individual units. Anyway I am trying to calculate what i might get.
So far:

Now if i place the "90" (which is what i am aiming for) in for psya 3 and psya 4 it should look like:

so the total is 301
now the grade for that is a B but i am confused about what AQA say about the A*. Here's the link to support what i am saying! (i sound like a proper psychologist saying that lol)

You would get a B yes, as 301 is just over 75% of 400 (the maximum UMS from the 4 Psychology exams). 70% is a B, 80% is an A.

Does that make sense? :smile:
Original post by mkigz77
So far:

so the total is 301

you Will get a grade B as to get an A* you need to average 80% in your As grade also which you haven't I'm afraid.
you need to hit 320 points with average 160 for AS which is grade A and then average 90% in your A2 exams which is 180 ums to get A*.
Random question: which textbook/s are people using?
Reply 593
Hi everyone, anyone else doing aggression, eating behaviour and social cognition?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 594
Original post by Mephestic
you Will get a grade B as to get an A* you need to average 80% in your As grade also which you haven't I'm afraid.
you need to hit 320 points with average 160 for AS which is grade A and then average 90% in your A2 exams which is 180 ums to get A*.

Ok so if i was to get 90 ums in unit 3 would that be classed as an A* for that unit?
What IDA's do people have for maintenance of relationships? e.g. SET, equity theory and the investment model?
Reply 596
Original post by Maaeez B
Anybody got an essay for discuss the role of genetic factors in human aggression?

Yes I do.

I shall send it you tomorrow.m

Reply 597
Original post by alexissocool
Ah that's alright. Yeah you can get a B grade without IDA's but in order for you to get into the top band they are required.
Got an A for AS so need B's this year for an A overall but it would be nice to get A's in these exams so I'm going for it.
Revision...meh slowly but surely haha. What about you?
What topics are you doing?

Hey i am going through intelligence (not sure if u r doing this) at the moment one topic "brain size and intelligence" includes various research which is good for A01 and then they have the A02 points. My general question is do we have to include IDAs for every topic?
Reply 598
Original post by Heyimdec
You would get a B yes, as 301 is just over 75% of 400 (the maximum UMS from the 4 Psychology exams). 70% is a B, 80% is an A.

Does that make sense? :smile:

Ok so if i was to get 90 ums in unit 3 would that be classed as an A* for that unit?
Reply 599
Original post by madman94
Hi everyone, anyone else doing aggression, eating behaviour and social cognition?

doing eating behaviour, if you need any essays looking over, feel free to send x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending