The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: Spy It... Buy It?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fusion
Spied a pizza hut kiosk which was selling fries :eek::eek::eek:

Anyone tried them?

They look nice

Oh they look crispy! I have to find out where to get these. I've never seen them before.

I spied the Chokablok Limited Edition Eton Mess in Tesco. I didn't buy it as I'm trying to behave myself, but DAMN the phrase "limited edition" sends me into panic and dispair :frown::frown:
Reply 1981
Original post by Ladyliesel
Oh they look crispy! I have to find out where to get these. I've never seen them before.

:frown::frown:

For London the kiosk in the plaza on Oxford street sell them
Original post by Fusion
For London the kiosk in the plaza on Oxford street sell them

Thanks! Duly noted and added to my to-do list mmm.
Reply 1983
SPIED AND DID BUY: GREGGS PIRI PIRI DELUXE ROLL.

For brunch I was only faced with two options off the train - pub lunch or Greggs. I hadn't been to Greggs in a while but the big poster in the window was showing off this particular sandwich (with a meagre 310 calories, for some reason Greggs is overtly stating their calorie counts which is brave considering their Steak Bakes and most savouries all have about the same as a Big Mac, which would deter the more vigilant). It comprised of Piri Piri Chicken, mixed peppers and spicy dressing with iceberg lettuce.

Now, that's what they SAID. But what it turned out to be is a bit like watery chicken in a kind of sour-milk-esque sauce... but spread so thinly I mostly just ate bread. It was WORLDS of bread. With nothing else. Here's a cross-section of the bite:

And there were no actual chunks of chicken; it was more like when they shred the chicken into a weird paste-like consistency.

AVOID if you can, guys. It was just... poor.
Reply 1984
SPIED BUT DID NOT BUY:

New "Cookie Crunch" Rice Krispie Squares. From the looks of the picture the "cookie" looks more like Cookie Crisp (cereal) than actual chunks of cookies. £2 odd was just too rich when there were tons of other cereal bars on promotion at 75p.

After 16 long years of deprivation, I have finally tried the illustrious Filet-O-Fish.

And it's absolutely gorgeous. A little too much tartare, but I won't complain. MORE PEOPLE NEED TO DISCOVER THIS COMPLETELY UNDERRATED ITEM! Totally worth it for £2.39.

And another shoutout goes to the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pop Tart. Ridiculously saccharine and basically a heart attack in toaster pastry form, but very tasty.
Reply 1987
Original post by paradoxicalme
After 16 long years of deprivation, I have finally tried the illustrious Filet-O-Fish.

And it's absolutely gorgeous. A little too much tartare, but I won't complain. MORE PEOPLE NEED TO DISCOVER THIS COMPLETELY UNDERRATED ITEM! Totally worth it for £2.39.

About time, Paradox!! I've been trying to get people to try the Filet since the late eighties/early nineties, as my favourite thing on the menu. And yet people grimace "ewww, fish burger ew ewwww!" - then you ask if they like fish finger sandwiches sexed up to eleven, and all of a sudden they become interested. YES, ULTIMATE FISH FINGER SANDWICH.
I got some more Tesco Clubcard vouchers through the post recently, and one of them allowed me to get 35p off a 200g bag of these. :ahee:

image.jpg

They are very nice, but as there's about 1000 calories in a 200g bag, I avoid buying them too often.
Original post by TotoMimo
About time, Paradox!! I've been trying to get people to try the Filet since the late eighties/early nineties, as my favourite thing on the menu. And yet people grimace "ewww, fish burger ew ewwww!" - then you ask if they like fish finger sandwiches sexed up to eleven, and all of a sudden they become interested. YES, ULTIMATE FISH FINGER SANDWICH.

Your filet-o-fish comic made me laugh :tongue: So true, yet so unjustified...

And yet, the weird-white-stuff-masquerading-as-ice-cream known as the McFlurry is still wildly popular.

Strange world.
Reply 1990
SPIED AND DID BUY: YU! YOGHURT GRANOLA.

The almost RIDICULOUSLY huge banner declaring these as NEW!! in Holland and Barrett was almost a bit TOO zealous about something that's... well, not as exciting as it let on, but granola bites, covered in yoghurt, with dried fruit pieces - sounds not too bad (considering their yoghurt-covered raisins/blueberries are pretty good). Seventy pence though, pretty steep for a wee 110kcal bag.

SPIED AND DID BUY: YU! YOGHURT GRANOLA.

The almost RIDICULOUSLY huge banner declaring these as NEW!! in Holland and Barrett was almost a bit TOO zealous about something that's... well, not as exciting as it let on, but granola bites, covered in yoghurt, with dried fruit pieces - sounds not too bad (considering their yoghurt-covered raisins/blueberries are pretty good). Seventy pence though, pretty steep for a wee 110kcal bag.

I bought some of those from Boots last week, all three varieties - raisin, mango and strawberry:smile:
They used to sell them in little multipack bags in Tesco a year or so ago, but they were discontinued. I was so happy finding them in Boots :biggrin:
The 70p pouch isn't really worth it... I don't get the point in putting so little in a resealable pouch? Waitrose have started selling the multipack ones, but I haven't seen them yet. :/
Guys, my Tesco has sold these for about a year and still do!
Reply 1993
Original post by dani_1991
Guys, my Tesco has sold these for about a year and still do!

Are you sure you're not mistaken Dani? Tesco stock the Yu! Yoghurt fruit bags and chews, but not these. They're a 2013 product not even listed on the Tesco site or stock lists yet! X
Are you sure you're not mistaken Dani? Tesco stock the Yu! Yoghurt fruit bags and chews, but not these. They're a 2013 product not even listed on the Tesco site or stock lists yet! X

I've definitely had them a few months ago at least!
Reply 1995
That's strange. Maybe a pre-stock. On the YU! side they only distributed them five weeks ago. Maybe a trial-run? At any rate, YU yoghurt fruits PLUS the addition of granola is one of those weird things you'd assume would be healthier that normal, but are actually TREAT STATUS. To be honest I think I'd rather have the Dairy Milk Thin bar.
Reply 1996
Spied and bought Burger king's new type of fries (as part of a large xl bacon double cheeseburger meal :colone: ). Not sure when they were changed but they're more thicker than before and less crispy, in fact they look like the pizza hut fries in the picture above. I was quite impressed.
Spied and bought JACOB'S LEMON PUFFS. Ah, my childhood.
Original post by Fusion
Spied and bought Burger king's new type of fries (as part of a large xl bacon double cheeseburger meal :colone: ). Not sure when they were changed but they're more thicker than before and less crispy, in fact they look like the pizza hut fries in the picture above. I was quite impressed.

I didn't like them, I liked the crunch before. I was so disappointed I nearly went to get a second burger :tongue:
Reply 1999
SPIED AND DID NOT BUY ' COS IT'S NOT OUT UNTIL SEPTEMBER!

NEW NESTLE WILLY WONKA CHOCOLATE BARS ARE COMING!!

Includes Chocolate Nice Cream, Creme Brulee, and Millionaire's Shortbread. LOVE IT!

Quick Reply

Latest