The Student Room Group

Unpopular Football Opinions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CB91
On the flip side, just because Barca and Real are so good, doesn't mean the rest of the league is bad...

But they are...
Original post by Jordan_1
People believe Ronaldo is the more complete player because he can header and is more physical. But these pale in comparison to Messi's passing ability which far exceeds Ronaldos. I would say Messi's passing ability and awareness is not far away from Xavi and Iniesta's level.

So overall Messi is pretty much on the same level as Ronaldo scoring wise but is far better passing wise. He is also less selfish and has a far better work ethic by trying to stay on his feet most of the time.

You have not proved your point at all -.-
Original post by fudgesundae
But they are...

They really aren't. Have you ever watched a football match except from the PL/CL?
Original post by rainbow_kisses

To be fair, you asked a retarded question that wouldn't sound out of place coming from a 5 year old.
Original post by CB91
Just like 4th-20th in the PL is equally **** then?

No, top 8 in the PL could easily give 3rd and 4th in La Liga a run for their money. They just aren't good teams down there and it makes for a very boring league.

The PL is a much more competitive league and therefore much more exciting. And it isn't more exciting because the top teams are poor. We have seen in the last few years that the top teams are among the top in Europe. So if the lower teams in the PL can still give the top English clubs a run for their money, and the lower teams in La Liga cannot give the top teams there a run for their money, the lower teams in the PL are better than the lower teams in La Liga.
Serie A is the most competitive league in Europe
Original post by StateSchooler95
Kenny Dalglish won the league with Blackburn, that wont ever happen again. But is Dalglish considered one of the best managers of all time?

First of all, Blackburn's success that season is usually attributed to assistant manager Ray Harford.

Secondly, Jack Walker invested huge amounts of money into the club spending £25 million in three seasons on new players and twice broke the British transfer record by signing Alan Shearer (£3.3 million) and Chris Sutton (£5 million). Blackburn were the de facto Chelsea/Man City of their time.

Thirdly, the Premier League was a far weaker division during the 94/95 season with Manchester United being the only real threat. Their was an 11 point difference between 2nd and 3rd place. Nottingham Forest managed to finish 3rd in their first season in the division and, 2 seasons earlier, Newcastle United achieved the same feat. In the last 10 years, no newly promoted team has finished above 8th.

Nowadays there are at least 6 clubs that have a realistic chance of winning the Premier League (Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool) and there are several other teams that could break into the top six.

Not to mention Dalglish's failures at Newcastle and Celtic destroyed any reputation that he had.

now hush with you!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 147
Original post by Dorito
Harry Redknapp should not be England manager.

I seem to be in the minority here and I'll have to wait about 2 years until I'm proved right. :sad:

Yes! Finally! Someone who agrees with me. I really do believe he is NOT the right man for the job.
Original post by CB91
They really aren't. Have you ever watched a football match except from the PL/CL?

Watch La Liga every week, probably just as many games, if not more than, the Premier League.
Original post by CB91
To be fair, you asked a retarded question that wouldn't sound out of place coming from a 5 year old.

Oh yes, because asking someone to back up there opinion with solid facts is something that a 5 year old would say! SOME people on this site are hilarious!

How hasn't he? Would you like some statistics too: Messi is a better passer than Ronaldo, which is true: Messi not only gets more assists than Ronaldo, but his pass completion rate is higher (in the 2010/2011 season, Messi's pass completion was 86%, as opposed to Ronadlo's 76%). Messi also made a lot more passes, as you'd expect given the team he plays for.

Both are about equal in terms of goalscoring ability, but even looking at that Messi has a better goals/shots ratio.
Reply 151
Oh yes, because asking someone to back up there opinion with solid facts is something that a 5 year old would say! SOME people on this site are hilarious!

You wan't facts? 3 ballon d'or's. There's your fact.
Don't forget Neuer, or Buffon etc etc. But im guessing the guy who said Hart never watched football outside of England...

You're guessing wrong. It's normal you disagree since it's called unpopular opinions.
Original post by Stu Laverty
How hasn't he? Would you like some statistics too: Messi is a better passer than Ronaldo, which is true: Messi not only gets more assists than Ronaldo, but his pass completion rate is higher (in the 2010/2011 season, Messi's pass completion was 86%, as opposed to Ronadlo's 76%). Messi also made a lot more passes, as you'd expect given the team he plays for.

Both are about equal in terms of goalscoring ability, but even looking at that Messi has a better goals/shots ratio.

THANK you
You wan't facts? 3 ballon d'or's. There's your fact.

You're in the wrong thread buddy
Original post by fudgesundae
No, top 8 in the PL could easily give 3rd and 4th in La Liga a run for their money. They just aren't good teams down there and it makes for a very boring league.

The PL is a much more competitive league and therefore much more exciting. And it isn't more exciting because the top teams are poor. We have seen in the last few years that the top teams are among the top in Europe. So if the lower teams in the PL can still give the top English clubs a run for their money, and the lower teams in La Liga cannot give the top teams there a run for their money, the lower teams in the PL are better than the lower teams in La Liga.

The PL isn't competitive, it's basically Man United + Chelsea every year (which will change to City after this season), no different to Barca/Real. If you want a competitive league, watch the Bundesliga.

2011/12 - United and City can't get out the group stage.
2010/11 - Only United put up any sort of fight in Europe (and even then they had an easy run to the final)
2009/2010 - No English team even in the semi-finals.

Around 07-09, the PL was the highest quality league, but not any more. Virtually every team except City and Spurs have gone down in quality and are no longer a threat in Europe.

And to your last point, Osasuna just beat Barca whilst Sociedad, Getafe, Valencia, Sevilla, Bilbao, Villarreal and Espanyol have also taken points off them. Levante beat Madrid at home earlier in the season (something which no English club could do to Mourinho).

Prove something subjective, yes, hilarious!
Reply 157
Original post by Mess.
Really :beard: Who would you say are the other 2?

I must stress, in MY opinion:

Iker, Hart and Buffon.

Neuer, De Gea, Lloris are probably going to be the top 3 in the next 4/5 seasons. To be honest, I think Valdes has improved the most but is not be able to give a 'frightening' presence anymore. Cech's still a reliable keeper but has lost his touch and I think he will leave in the next few seasons.
My take on Messi vs Ronaldo, just breaking it down into very crude categories:

Strength - Ronaldo
Speed - Ronaldo
Acceleration - Messi
Technique - Messi
Passing - Messi
Crossing - Ronaldo
Dribbling - Messi
Heading - Ronaldo
Shooting - Ronaldo
Finishing - Messi
Free Kicks - Ronaldo

So on Physical/Technical it is 6-5 Ronaldo

However I think Messi works harder, is mentally tougher and most importantly, he shows up in big games. Ronaldo does seem to go walkabout quite often in big games.

Still prefer Xavi to both of them :tongue:
Original post by CB91
Prove something subjective, yes, hilarious!

Subjective? We are talking about football here? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest