The Student Room Group

Is Taiwan a country?

Is Taiwan a country?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hackashaq
What exactly is Taiwan? Is it a country or a part of China or just an island? So much debate over it and what exactly is Taiwanese? Is Taiwanese a different race to Chinese?

Taiwan is a country/island. I am shocked at your knowledge!? It's not part of china?!
Reply 2
Original post by bhogs001
Taiwan is a country/island. I am shocked at your knowledge!? It's not part of china?!

I'm shocked you don't know about the dispute!
Reply 3
Original post by Gales
I'm shocked you don't know about the dispute!

Not my fault! I dont live on earth!
Reply 4
Yes, it's a separate country. It's not China.
Reply 5
Taiwan is an independent state, but China claims that it belongs to them. That's why Taiwan and China have no diplomatic relations.

98% of Taiwanese people are of Han Chinese descent, because there were mass migrations from China into Taiwan during the 17th century. Only about 2% of Taiwan is made up of aborigines/natives.

I'm shocked that he doesn't know how to use wikipedia. :colone:
Reply 7

Its not a country but is part of the country of republic of china,which is separate from the larger country called China.
(edited 12 years ago)
Taiwan is the part of China that wasn't taken over by the Communists in 1949. The rump of Nationalists (who basically lost to the Communists) are in Taiwan. The flag of Taiwan is the same as the flag of the old Republic of China that existed prior to 1949.

Both the People's Republic of China and the Republic of China (Taiwan) claim the whole of China.

Taiwanese people are mostly Han Chinese, much like the Mainland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Chinese

Taiwan is an island. The Republic of China is a country and includes surrounding smaller islands under RoC control. In practice they are used interchangeably.

The People's Republic of China won control of China's UN Security Council seat in the mid-1970s I think.

The US officially recognises the PRC (of course) but it does sell arms to Taiwan.

Only a couple of countries 'support' Taiwan over the PRC. This will probably decrease with time as the PRC becomes more powerful. I know some small caribbean countries switched sides recently and got given a wad of cash from the PRC as a reward. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_the_Republic_of_China
Republic of China =/= People's Republic of China.
Original post by Snagprophet
Republic of China =/= People's Republic of China.

They are fully independent countries.
Reply 11
Original post by Dalek1099

If they are two separate and independent countries how come other countries do not recognize the country "Taiwan" and it doesn't have an olympic team or sports team etc?

Apart from the political side, Taiwan and China are basically the same right? As in culture, people etc?

Yes. Why did you feel the need to make my point more obvious?
Reply 13
Why does Taiwan use "Chinese Taipei" and not just Taiwan? If it's an independent country shouldn't it have the right to use its own name and not be forced by others?
Reply 14
go ask a Taiwanese person if his country is part of china i guarantee he'll kick your ass to beijing.
Reply 15
China doesn't recognise it as independent but everywhere else does, sort of like the situation with Kosovo.
Original post by hackashaq
If they are two separate and independent countries how come other countries do not recognize the country "Taiwan" and it doesn't have an olympic team or sports team etc?

Apart from the political side, Taiwan and China are basically the same right? As in culture, people etc?

Chinese Taipei is the football team
Chinese Taipei is the football team

Actually it's used for all sporting teams, not just footie.
Reply 18
Both have majority han chinese people. A bit like North and South Korea in the sense they were split after a civil war with different governments ruling. Both claim to be representing the Chinese population
De Jure, no. De facto, yes.

Most of the world doesn't officially recognise it, and it has no UN seat, in any realistic way of looking at it it's a totally separate state. It has trade with virtually everywhere, there isn't really anywhere that being associated with Taiwan will hurt your chances of getting a visa for, pretty much every government in the world is happy to talk with Taiwan on diplomatic matters, while not having official relations (and yes, mainland China is included in all of those).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending