The Student Room Group

Postgraduate psychology, Durham, UCL or Edinburgh?

Hi there, I am an international student from Taiwan who wants to pursue an academic career in developmental psychology.
I received an offer from Durham (MA Research Methods/Developmental Psychology, three weeks after applying). I am still waiting for replies from UCL, KCL, and Edinburgh.

There is little discussion in developmental psychology, and all the resources I've got from the Taiwanese forum indicate that academic performance is better at UCL, Edinburgh, and Durham. My professor, who got her PhD from Edin. said what matters is my lifestyle despite rankings. Durham has the "country vibe", which she thought suits me.
I'd like your advice: Which uni is better for developmental psy research?
Reply 1
Original post by chloen3mo
Hi there, I am an international student from Taiwan who wants to pursue an academic career in developmental psychology.
I received an offer from Durham (MA Research Methods/Developmental Psychology, three weeks after applying). I am still waiting for replies from UCL, KCL, and Edinburgh.

There is little discussion in developmental psychology, and all the resources I've got from the Taiwanese forum indicate that academic performance is better at UCL, Edinburgh, and Durham. My professor, who got her PhD from Edin. said what matters is my lifestyle despite rankings. Durham has the "country vibe", which she thought suits me.

All 4 are excellent Universities so I think it doesn't matter overly much unless one course you prefer more than the other. Whether you prefer to be in a city or "country" as well as all except Durham would be in a huge city (especially the London ones of course). Although I would still say the community and student life at Durham is pretty up there.

That being said, if you want to go into research or academia, UCL is ranked very highly for psychology world-wide, particularly in educational & developmental psychology if that's an interest to you.
KCL is also renown for its research in developmental psych (biggest & longest ever twins study).
I am a bit biased as I work at the psych & human development department @ UCL but I think the teaching standard is world-class and the research is really leading.
(edited 2 months ago)

for undergrad it would be different. for postgrad, 100% UCL
Reply 3
Original post by anoni579
All 4 are excellent Universities so I think it doesn't matter overly much unless one course you prefer more than the other. Whether you prefer to be in a city or "country" as well as all except Durham would be in a huge city (especially the London ones of course). Although I would still say the community and student life at Durham is pretty up there.

That being said, if you want to go into research or academia, UCL is ranked very highly for psychology world-wide, particularly in educational & developmental psychology if that's an interest to you.
KCL is also renown for its research in developmental psych (biggest & longest ever twins study).
I am a bit biased as I work at the psych & human development department @ UCL but I think the teaching standard is world-class and the research is really leading.

Thanks a lot for the information!
What about Edinburgh? Anything special?
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
for undergrad it would be different. for postgrad, 100% UCL

How come is it(difference between bsc and msc)?

Hey! Do you mind sharing what gpa you’ve applied with?
Reply 6
Original post by so_true_bestie
Hey! Do you mind sharing what gpa you’ve applied with?

Sure, I got 3.99 out of 4.3, approximately 87.7 out of 100. Graduated one year earlier.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 7
Thanks a lot for the information!
What about Edinburgh? Anything special?

Edinburgh is rated well for psychology too, I don't have any personal experience with them. I don't know if would make a difference but course is usually 4 years in Scotland not 3.

Quick Reply

Latest