The Student Room Group

People with X mental illness should not be doctors?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Hippokrates
I don't really understand what you're talking about but the misuse of one word really doesn't affect what I was saying so much that you don't understand it.

pe·nal·ize  [peen-l-ahyz, pen-]
to put under a disadvantage or handicap.

(penalise implies punishment, which has nothing to do with it)

So you're saying we should treat less able people as though they weren't less able?
Anything that impedes their ability to perform as a doctor. Any mental illness, if very severe, could be it.
Original post by Notethis
(penalise implies punishment, which has nothing to do with it)

So you're saying we should treat less able people as though they weren't less able?

No I said that PTSD will not stop somebody being a great doctor. Penalise can mean a a handicap as well, which is the way I meant it. They way I see it is that it is unfair to stop somebody being a doctor because something horrific has happened to them. Everybody is screwed up in some way and somebody with PTSD is not a risk to the people around them so why can't they become a doctor if they want to?

Edit
I wasn't saying let everybody be a doctor, i was saying you that PTSD does not make you less able.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
It could be simplified down so easily. The only reason why having a mental illness should/could matter is because said person may be unable to do the job to the required standards. So why not just look at the last reason? Mental illnesses don't even need to be involved. The only question should be "are they cabable of doing the job?". Sure, a person's mental illness might prevent them from doing the job, but that's not to say everyone with that mental illness will also be unable to do the job.

Thinking of a relate-able example, preventing someone from being a doctor because they have X mental illness is like preventing someone boarding a plane because they are X religion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aliluvschoc
I never once mentioned depression. I was (in my opinion) quite clearly talking about psychosis. Perhaps I should have said it plainly..

You're right, many people drawn to this kind of area do indeed have a range of personal experience. Some psychoses can be controlled. Some can't be controlled to a level that working in that situation would be wise. I would expect for this to be taken on a case-by-case basis, no less. But to some people I do think it's right to say no. The small, small minority.

I though you were talking in general, that is why I included that at the end. There is no need to be defensive.
Reply 65
I'd say social anxiety (if its a mental disorder) you need to be able to communicate very well to co workers and patients to be a doctor i suppose since if you don't communicate well is could mean life or death for someone i guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by c471
by the limits of the real world.

Its all very well having a theoretical debate about what constitutes what etc. But at the end of the day, people have to come up with a system to enable the most people to recieve the best help possible. That is what they have done.

Do you suggest all people who are a bit forgetful or get a bit emotional should referred for mental health assessments and/or treatment? We have to live in the real world, and accept the bounds of practicality.

If it is only practical to offer 'help' to people who have limitations above a certain level, then you put that criteria in place. What you do not do is create a false distinction between people that leads to some of them being judged and not others. In a lot of cases, that judgement actually harms the person more than their original limitation. It leads to prejudice and discrimination because the people without labels have been fed the lie that there is nothing wrong with them. It puts barriers between people.

I put help in ' ' because it is debatable how much help is actually given.
legally, you can't say that someone with x mental illness isn't allowed to practise medicine. You can say that "it's unsafe for you to practise medicine due to your mental illness" though.
Original post by OU Student
legally, you can't say that someone with x mental illness isn't allowed to practise medicine. You can say that "it's unsafe for you to practise medicine due to your mental illness" though.

Course you can. GMC can just erase your name from the Register, making it illegal for you to practise.
Reply 69
Original post by Oggz
Hello,

What sort of mental illnesses would people think would make someone incompetent as a doctor? I am not saying that any mental illnesses do make someone incompetent, but am aware that due to the stigma attached to mental illness this may be the view some hold. So which mental illnesses (even if controlled with medication) would you perceive as being dangerous for a doctor to have?

If it is controlled then none. All would be fine. But the thing is it's all relative - I wouldn't want someone with epilepsy to be a surgeon but if they were a GP that really shouldn't be a big deal. The medication could have dangerous side effects which need to be taken into account. But really I believe if it's in control definitely no problem anything anywhere!
Original post by AkDo
If it is controlled then none. All would be fine. But the thing is it's all relative - I wouldn't want someone with epilepsy to be a surgeon but if they were a GP that really shouldn't be a big deal. The medication could have dangerous side effects which need to be taken into account. But really I believe if it's in control definitely no problem anything anywhere!

Why? You were just saying how it was fine if it was controlled :rolleyes:
Reply 71
Original post by digitalis
Why? You were just saying how it was fine if it was controlled :rolleyes:

*uncontrolled epilepsy. sorry for some reason it deleted my uncontrolled >.<
Original post by AkDo
*uncontrolled epilepsy. sorry for some reason it deleted my uncontrolled >.<

Lol, right....must be the TSR magic
As long as it doesn't affect their fitness to practice, it's fine
Original post by Octohedral
*It is probably far safer for somebody with certain mental disorders to do the job of a Consultant or GP than it is for them to work in an emergency room where they are under a lot of pressure and a small mistake could make the difference between life and death.

Do us a favour and stop talking, will you?
*It is probably far safer for somebody with certain mental disorders to do the job of a Consultant or GP than it is for them to work in an emergency room where they are under a lot of pressure and a small mistake could make the difference between life and death.

As was obvious, rep-whore :smile:

Please say you're not a medical student or intending to be one. What on earth do you think consultants do and where did you get that impression?
Reply 76
Medical knowledge for mental disorders has always been far behind that for physical disorders because of the historical stigma and because they are harder to quantify, so from that and from what I've heard of peoples' experiences I wouldn't bet somebody's life on depression or psychosis medication.

Psychosis involves seeing things that aren't there / having a distorted sense of reality, which I would say is far more dangerous in an emergency room than depression.

They both can be equally debilitating. In fact if someone is depressed enough they can go into a psychosis. Also just because someone is psychotic it doesn't mean they are incapable of making correct decisions. Anyway I suppose you're answering my question and I appreciate that.
Original post by thisismycatch22
Please say you're not a medical student or intending to be one. What on earth do you think consultants do and where did you get that impression?

Original post by digitalis
Do us a favour and stop talking, will you?

Okay, so I made a mistake - replace it with GP or something. I'm not a medical student, I didn't actually realise this was the medicine forum, as there are often threads like this in philosophy, besides this is TSR so you will get false opinions. I will delete my posts.

There is no need to be rude.

Original post by Oggz
They both can be equally debilitating. In fact if someone is depressed enough they can go into a psychosis. Also just because someone is psychotic it doesn't mean they are incapable of making correct decisions. Anyway I suppose you're answering my question and I appreciate that.

Thanks for being nice :smile: See above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending