The Student Room Group

Failing nursing management placement

Hi.
Really looking for*advice.sorry*for long post.

I'm a 3rd year student nurse. I have just come to the end of my management placement to be told by my mentor they would not sign me off.*

Just to let you know, I previously started my consolidation months ago, however the placement got withdrawn due to an incident with medication. Myself and my mentor were doing the evening medication round. On the lunch time meds my mentor put a ckexane dose in the patients locker ready to administer in the evening. As we got to the patient in question my mentor was instructing me which meds to give, I grabbed the correct meds and administered them, as I was about to administer the injection my mentor said she had to go and get something and I asked can I give the injection still she said yes. I gave the dose and my mentor returned ready to move onto next patient, but as we were doing so I noticed that the meds chart said if the patients bloods range was below a certain range we were to administer half the normal dose. I immediate went to see the doctors to report this, thankfully the patients bloods were fine and the meds administered would not adversely affect the patient, but still reported this as a medical error. I felt awful as even though I was directed to I am aware I should always check the meds chart myself before I administer anything even if a qualified is instructing me. Subsequently I was withdrawn from this placement, I done a reflection, done more skill sessions in uni and restarted my management a few weeks later.

My confidence was at an all time low, my mental health suffered and I really questioned myself. Anyway I had a couple of weeks off before returning to restart. I returned to the same ward and mentor. I was put on an action plan in order to achieve sign off. I was doing really well and my confidence got much better.*

On a couple of occasions I was quizzed about meds I hadn't experienced before, I was honest and said I wasn't sure, but immediately looked them up in the bnf.

So at the half way point we were unable to do my feedback session as I was off with pneumonia. On my return I brought my file in for my mentor to go through and feedback any concerns. Anyway they never did. So one week prior to finishing I finally got them to sit down with me to do my file, I had almost everything signed off except my meds competency. For the next few days before my last shift I religiously read the bnf on meds I wasn't sure about. It was all going fine until my last day. we met with the practice facilitator and went through it, they advised they had seen huge improvement, however the mentor was not happy to sign me off as they were not confident in my medication knowledge. To say I am devastated is an understatement. I immediately called my personal tutor (crying) to say what happened. They advised they would get a report off the mentor/ ward then discuss with course lead. I am absolutely petrified of what will happen next.

I have had such a rough journey on this degree (losing a parent to terminal illness last year) I still pushed through achieved a first in all my theory work, but I am so worried now that my dream is over.

If anyone can offer any support or advice I would be hugely grateful. Thank you.
Hi,
I am really sorry to hear you are going through this. I know sort of know how devastating this feels. I had a lot of health illness on my last placement and it really affected my confidence, as things built up, my mentor nearly didn't sign me off, I was deferred first time round, however I got extenuating circumstances for being ill etc and eventually passed. I am now on my sign off however it all has really mentally affected me, so I know how traumatising it is. Have you seeked any councilling from uni? Also could you get extenuating circumstances for the fact you were ill and this could have affected your ability? However I feel that your mentor was equally as accountable for the drug error, she should have told you to wait, or she should have known already when she got the clexane out, she must have had to read the drug chart first, to know pt needed it, therefore would need the correct dosage. The fact you used courage and realised the error before your mentor speaks volumes. You even liased with the doc to check bloods. This should not have been a major issue on your part, more of a learning experience for you, and would most likely result in you doing a reflection on it, or a datix if harm occurred? Some people wouldn't even say anything out of fear, you spoke up, so don't feel bad. This is called human factors/ human error, look it up re:nursing. We are not supposed to be penalised for making an innocent mistake, because it results in people not communicating/speaking up. Are you with the union or rcn? Ask for support, make sure you get it and don't back down. Medication knowledge builds over time, this is really harsh. I think you should make a complaint about your mentor. They are there to support you and to let you know the direction you need guidance in, help you to build knowledge and competency. Were you allowed study periods to look over the drugs? I always find looking at all the drugs charts will give you an idea of the drugs that will nearly always be used on your placements, depending on the area. Eg stroke aspirin, statins, hypertension meds etc and a variety of blood thinners. Then I'd just google them all. Did you only have one mentor Also? If you need to talk you can private message me on here if you want. Things will get better, try to be strong x
Reply 2
This is so awful to read. As a newly qualified nurse who has been through her fair share during training I can very much sympathise. Firstly, after the meds’ incident you should not have returned to the same placement. From experience I think this was just ‘payback’ for you flagging up the error which your mentor is accountable for.
Breathe through this and trust the process, you have come this far for a reason and you must fight through it. Your previous placements and all the evidence you have gathered during the management placement should demonstrate that you have been putting in the work. And for a mentor to fail you on your last day speaks volumes about their unprofessional behaviour and lack of consideration.
Reply 3
Hi did you qualify?x
Reply 4
Hi what happened for you? Did you get a third attempt?
I'm a first year student and was failed in medication the first time round now when I had to go back for my repeat for 4 weeks with the same PA and ward she said I was improving I.was told to.learn the medications and dosages off by head and was made to to mock tests I had informed the university that the first time round my mentor doesn't like me and I don't feel she will pass me I was openly being discriminated now for 4 weeks I.was being told u will be signed off the ward just used me to work with the HCAs and other nurses refused to help me with the profficinces I failed or I was being told to do one to one tagging 2 weeks back I have been failed on retrieval I don't know what to do have received no support from anywhere and university just said go.students union and appeal I am.also dyslexic and I.have actually been a senior carer for 10years who has always administered medical

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending