The Student Room Group

If you are sick, why wouldn't you want to get better?

Like say for those with anorexia nervosa why wouldn't you want to get better if you have therapists there to help you? If you have doctors there to help you? Why would you want to stay sick for the rest of your life?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Like say for those with anorexia nervosa why wouldn't you want to get better if you have therapists there to help you? If you have doctors there to help you? Why would you want to stay sick for the rest of your life?

I don’t think they want to stay sick. The recovery process is difficult and takes time. It might look like they’re not trying to get better but it’s probably harder than it looks
Reply 2
I don’t think they want to stay sick. The recovery process is difficult and takes time. It might look like they’re not trying to get better but it’s probably harder than it looks

But then some people with anorexia nervosa are in denial that they even have anorexia or that there is anything wrong, and they may need to be sectioned because they refuse treatment
But then some people with anorexia nervosa are in denial that they even have anorexia or that there is anything wrong, and they may need to be sectioned because they refuse treatment

This is why it's diagnosed as anorexia nervosa rather than 'being too thin'. If their perceptions and thought processes were healthy they wouldn't haver the problem in the first place.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
This is why it's diagnosed as anorexia nervosa rather than 'being too thin'. If their perceptions and thought processes were healthy they wouldn't haver the problem in the first place.

But doctors (and I am talking GPs) and everyone else thinks all underweight have anorexia when they could just be thin, have fast metabolism, be small for their age, genetics or birth defects
But doctors (and I am talking GPs) and everyone else thinks all underweight have anorexia when they could just be thin, have fast metabolism, be small for their age, genetics or birth defects

I do not believe that is correct.
Reply 6
But doctors (and I am talking GPs) and everyone else thinks all underweight have anorexia

they don't
Often you feel like you don’t deserve to get better, you’re meant to suffer. Also an eating disorder is a coping mechanism so people normally develop one when life feels unmanageable and you’re out of options. People are complicated and you never know what they’re dealing with privately
I’m sick mentally and I’ve just ran from my problems the last 7 years. Used my trauma as an excuse to use alcohol and drugs.

I’m so far behind my peers now in life it’s really sad. I feel like such a bum, I don’t drive, can’t afford to go out with friends. Feel like a pos.

I hate the effect of having a traumatic childhood but honestly I’ve got partially myself to blame for running from my problems

I’m filled with the deepest regrets :frown:
I’m sick mentally and I’ve just ran from my problems the last 7 years. Used my trauma as an excuse to use alcohol and drugs.

I’m so far behind my peers now in life it’s really sad. I feel like such a bum, I don’t drive, can’t afford to go out with friends. Feel like a pos.

I hate the effect of having a traumatic childhood but honestly I’ve got partially myself to blame for running from my problems

remember now the past has passed and focus on the things you can control! although that time has gone, you need to remember that none of it was your fault as it was your coping mechanism so do not blame yourself. as a person who suffers from overthinking and anxiety, i've come to deal with these by journaling so talking about how i'm feeling and the things that are bothering. also, talk to people you trust and open up about your feelings. it's never good to keep bottling up your feelings. for alcohol and drugs, remember that the sooner you quit, the sooner you will get better and do it step by step don't rush it. i'm sorry if all this wasn't as useful but i just wanted to help you and make you feel better.
remember now the past has passed and focus on the things you can control! although that time has gone, you need to remember that none of it was your fault as it was your coping mechanism so do not blame yourself. as a person who suffers from overthinking and anxiety, i've come to deal with these by journaling so talking about how i'm feeling and the things that are bothering. also, talk to people you trust and open up about your feelings. it's never good to keep bottling up your feelings. for alcohol and drugs, remember that the sooner you quit, the sooner you will get better and do it step by step don't rush it. i'm sorry if all this wasn't as useful but i just wanted to help you and make you feel better.

Thanks for your comment. I’m currently seeking help from the NHS but when I’m unemployed and lonely I have nothing else to do other than get ****ed up lol.

I have hobbies but mental illness kills my motivation for them.

I’d love to talk to you more though. Thanks for your comment

I completely relate to this. I first got sectioned when I was 14 (22 now) and all the time since then has been a roundabout of inpatient, outpatient, ‘functioning’ for a few months to sit exams, work etc. then cracking under the pressure, having another breakdown and the cycle starting again.

I feel like i’ve missed out on so much, like my life stopped when I became unwell, I’ve missed out on so many normal teen experiences. Whereas at the same time i’m so much more mature than my peers, having to grow up very fast, coping with pain that’s unimaginable to most of them. In hospital i’ve met such an array of fascinating, wonderful and brave people that have suffered more than anyone ever should. It’s hard to be around my school friends because their world view is so narrow, their lives are so simple and yet i’m the one with nothing to show for the last eight years of my life. It takes everything i’ve got to just stay alive so by most people’s standards, i’m a failure.

I’ve invested so much in being screwed up that it feels like the only thing i’m good at.

(same anonymous person as the last reply)

I’m also struggling with drug addiction, it’s so frustrating since it’s the only way I can cope (while of course being a problem in itself) Every time I get sober, my mental illness becomes so severe and debilitating that it doesn’t feel worth it. It’s like a case of ‘pick your misery’

Babe anorexia is a deadly illness, when you have a mental illness - anorexia included your brain is very poorly telling you things so you become that way. It can be hard to believe doctors and therapists because you’re that poorly.

I think this is a really insensitive post and comments to make x

hi my love,
when you are poorly it is really hard to make rational decisions.
be proud of yourself for making it this far…
start now, it’s never too late to turn things around no matter how cliche that sounds.

Sending you love

Well yeah because they don’t think they are sick. So to them why would they get treatment if they aren’t sick (even though they are)
I completely relate to this. I first got sectioned when I was 14 (22 now) and all the time since then has been a roundabout of inpatient, outpatient, ‘functioning’ for a few months to sit exams, work etc. then cracking under the pressure, having another breakdown and the cycle starting again.

I feel like i’ve missed out on so much, like my life stopped when I became unwell, I’ve missed out on so many normal teen experiences. Whereas at the same time i’m so much more mature than my peers, having to grow up very fast, coping with pain that’s unimaginable to most of them. In hospital i’ve met such an array of fascinating, wonderful and brave people that have suffered more than anyone ever should. It’s hard to be around my school friends because their world view is so narrow, their lives are so simple and yet i’m the one with nothing to show for the last eight years of my life. It takes everything i’ve got to just stay alive so by most people’s standards, i’m a failure.

I’ve invested so much in being screwed up that it feels like the only thing i’m good at.

I’ve never related more to a comment. For my it’s been 4 years of severe depression and I’ve missed out on so many of my youthful years.

I also feel like the only thing I’m good at is being mentally ill lol.

Hope things get better for you
At the worst of my anorexia, I loved having it merely because it felt like the only way to get people to show me care and attention; for once I could feel like a defenseless child and let everyone do things for me; because I never had the chance to be that way when I actually was a kid.

Quick Reply

Latest