The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cl_steele
ho ho ho ... what because i dont think the IRA are saints? youre an idiot.
mick hating? who the **** is mick?
awww i think i've touched a nerve, I'm a prick am I? grow up you stupid little boy of course im biggoted towards the IRA theyre TERRORISTS.

You think they're terrorists because how dare the Irish deserve an army to fight for their freedom. Bigoted. "Mick" is a derogatory term for Irish.
Original post by FrigidSymphony
It completely negates the similarities! It means that the IRA didn't target civilians, they targeted infrastructure. They didn't want to kill English people. They weren't motivated by a burning desire to wipe out "the great Satan" or whatever. It means they respected their opponents as antagonists in a war, with rules, rather than blind rage and violence.

But the IRA did target civilians. They might have wanted to appear that they didn't which is why they called it in but they still did target civilians, hence why they placed bombs in areas where there was a high density of civilians.

You think they respected their opponent and didn't target citizens? :lol: that's cute.

Sorry but you're wrong, the point is legit and still stands.

They were motivated by their original cause but they also acted in the name of power and greed. Scum from start to finish.

If they cared about the public so much they wouldn't done what they did.
Original post by IRSP044
Scumbags get capped all the time in Ireland, it's nothing new.

In other word the Brit media has been guilty of lying and making things up about republicanism so sources to it hold no sway in debates.

How was it not proven that he was a dealer. He was clearly picked up on their radar, and delt with. It not uncommon. The communitys have gone to republicans to deal with dealers for years.

Yeah never mind all that "innocent until proven guilty" stuff, if the IRA decide you're guilty then you're guilty right?

As usual your logic, or rather lack of it, fails you.
You think they're terrorists because how dare the Irish deserve an army to fight for their freedom. Bigoted. "Mick" is a derogatory term for Irish.

They are terrorists, plain and simple.
Original post by Steevee
To be honest I still do not sympathise with that IRA. They were not representing the will of the majority of people, they brought strife to their land because of what they wanted, not what the people wanted. Independence has never recieved a democratic majority in NI. The IRA are a relic, and they should have stayed in the past.

One may argue that the Irish people exercised their democratic right when they showed their support for complete independence in the 1918 Irish General Election, with Sinn Fein winning 73 out a possilbe 105 seats.

The formation of the Northern Irish state could in no way be interpreted as the will of the democratic majority. It was, however, under the pretence of a "terrible and immediate war" that the terms stipulated in the Anglo-Irish treaty were to be accepted - such was the disregard for the will of the Irish people.

A treaty negotiated under the threat of war could in no way be accepted as an example of a fair and just democratic process.
Reply 205
Original post by It could be lupus
:laugh: I think you will find that almost everyone will want to distance the Dail, a legitimate government of the Republic, from any group derived from the IRA. The IRB in its beginning was the army associated with the Dail.

The IRA, PIRA and RIRA are very different groups due to if and when they became inactive. Members of the RIRA may have been previous members of the PIRA, but you can't say any acts they do now is due to the IRA or PIRA.

Sinn Féin was the political arm of the PIRA, which is one of the many reasons they distance themselves from any dissident republican action. If they were all part of one big IRA, then this would not be the case.

I can't be bothered going into detail, but the dail recognised the provisional army council and later the continuity AC.

I don't really care for the various forms of the IRA but they're all the same. The IRA and CIRA are the only ones today who go by that tag.
Original post by thunder_chunky
But the IRA did target civilians. They might have wanted to appear that they didn't which is why they called it in but they still did target civilians, hence why they placed bombs in areas where there was a high density of civilians.

You think they respected their opponent and didn't target citizens? :lol: that's cute.

Sorry but you're wrong, the point is legit and still stands.

They were motivated by their original cause but they also acted in the name of power and greed. Scum from start to finish.

If they cared about the public so much they wouldn't done what they did.

They targeted infrastructure! The whole point was a war of attrition, to wear down Britain by making it too expensive to keep up with them! Loyds went under because of the billions it had to spend to repair the damage caused by the bombings. Any civilian casualties are collateral damage, which happens in a war, even a guerrilla one. This does not make them terrorists. They put bombs where they would deal the most damage to British infrastructure, not British people- why on earth would they call ahead and warn if they wanted to kill civilians? It would be counterproductive to give the British media bloody corpses to wave about, and they were left with images of broken buildings instead. How can you not see this? You're ignoring facts and logic, again out of what I must presume to be some kind of imperialist hangover.

freedom, lol. the irish are free ...you ever seen that large blob of land ... whats it called? oh yes the republic of ireland ... the IRA are nothing but an invading terrorist force, the Northern irish made perfectly clear they wish to remain british but they cant accept the will of the people.
tbh im not surprised by your view point being a snp supporter and all...
Reply 208
ho ho ho ... what because i dont think the IRA are saints? youre an idiot.
mick hating? who the **** is mick?
awww i think i've touched a nerve, I'm a prick am I? grow up you stupid little boy of course im biggoted towards the IRA theyre TERRORISTS.

It's funny that you would call anyone a stupid little boy when you have no idea about this whole topic.
Reply 209
Original post by thunder_chunky
They are terrorists, plain and simple.

In your deluded opinion.
Original post by IRSP044
It's funny that you would call anyone a stupid little boy when you have no idea about this whole topic.

go away already, obviously i do have an idea of the topic seeing as i've brought valid points to the table? unlike you who just sits there replying to other peoples conversations? get off your high horse you dolt
Reply 211
Original post by Lust of a Gardener
One may argue that the Irish people exercised their democratic right when they showed their support for complete independence in the 1918 Irish General Election, with Sinn Fein winning 73 out a possilbe 105 seats.

The formation of the Northern Irish state could in no way be interpreted as the will of the democratic majority. It was, however, under the pretence of a "terrible and immediate war" that the terms stipulated in the Anglo-Irish treaty were to be accepted - such was the disregard for the will of the Irish people.

A treaty negotiated under the threat of war could in no way be accepted as an example of a fair and just democratic process.

Well said.
Reply 212
go away already, obviously i do have an idea of the topic seeing as i've brought valid points to the table? unlike you who just sits there replying to other peoples conversations? get off your high horse you dolt

You haven't though, you have made it all up as you went along.
They targeted infrastructure! The whole point was a war of attrition, to wear down Britain by making it too expensive to keep up with them! Loyds went under because of the billions it had to spend to repair the damage caused by the bombings.

are you contending the IRA seriously thought they could outstrip the united kingdom in terms of damage inflicted and 'ability to keep up'? the ira was reliant on petty cash the uk had a highly developed economy in no possible way could a group of rag tag miscreants out perform the uk..
loyds, i assume you mean loyds of london? how can it 'go under' its not a company for a start and the damage done by any petty car bomb barely made a dent in their capitol ... and to top that off it never ever went bust.
Original post by IRSP044

ignorance is bliss, for you it seems to be a curse ...
are you contending the ira didnt bomb manchester, london etc? are you saying they didnt kill and maim civilians? of course youd say that because youre a dumb ****. see your stupidity has brought me down to your pathetic level of throwing petty insults, be proud of your stupidity.
Original post by IRSP044

ignorance is bliss, for you it seems to be a curse ...
are you contending the ira didnt bomb manchester, london etc? are you saying they didnt kill and maim civilians? of course youd say that because youre a dumb ****. see your stupidity has brought me down to your pathetic level of throwing petty insults, be proud of your stupidity.
Original post by IRSP044
In your deluded opinion.

No by definition in afraid. It must suck to be so wrong so often, how do you cope?
are you contending the IRA seriously thought they could outstrip the united kingdom in terms of damage inflicted and 'ability to keep up'? the ira was reliant on petty cash the uk had a highly developed economy in no possible way could a group of rag tag miscreants out perform the uk..
loyds, i assume you mean loyds of london? how can it 'go under' its not a company for a start and the damage done by any petty car bomb barely made a dent in their capitol ... and to top that off it never ever went bust.

They could and they did. After the Bishopsgate bombing, Lloyds almost went bankrupt under the strain of paying the billions of pounds of damage that the IRA had caused. Remember when they bombed the financial sector of london and froze everything completely? They didn't have to outperform the UK to beat them- they simply had to continue to exist. Such is the nature of guerrilla, and a war of attrition.

Keep up with your imperialist bigotry. You're not impressing anyone.
They targeted infrastructure! The whole point was a war of attrition, to wear down Britain by making it too expensive to keep up with them! Loyds went under because of the billions it had to spend to repair the damage caused by the bombings. Any civilian casualties are collateral damage, which happens in a war, even a guerrilla one. This does not make them terrorists. They put bombs where they would deal the most damage to British infrastructure, not British people- why on earth would they call ahead and warn if they wanted to kill civilians? It would be counterproductive to give the British media bloody corpses to wave about, and they were left with images of broken buildings instead. How can you not see this? You're ignoring facts and logic, again out of what I must presume to be some kind of imperialist hangover.

They targeted infrastructures where civilians populated, ergo they were targeting civilians. Shopping centres, parks, all frequented by innocent people who suffered. And I'm not sure how blowing up their own people was going to wear down Britain.

Either way, yes they targeted civilians. They are by definition terrorists, really how often do I need to say that. They invoked fear through violence to suit their own needs and demands, yes they were and are terrorists. Dress it up however you want, defend the scum all you like but don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.
Why would they call ahead? To make it look like they gave a damn. Once it twice a call was made but too late or not enough time was given, you're seriously telling me they give a damn about civilians? Pffft please.

Lol when you actually provide some facts and logic I might start taking your argument seriously although it's hard not least when you claim I suffer from an "imperialist hangover." Lol that's pretty funny.

Keep sticking up for the terrorist scum, I'm enjoying this.
They could and they did. After the Bishopsgate bombing, Lloyds almost went bankrupt under the strain of paying the billions of pounds of damage that the IRA had caused. Remember when they bombed the financial sector of london and froze everything completely? They didn't have to outperform the UK to beat them- they simply had to continue to exist. Such is the nature of guerrilla, and a war of attrition.

Keep up with your imperialist bigotry. You're not impressing anyone.

you dont even know what an imperialist is do you?
it cant go under you blithering idiot its not a company its a market! the bishops gate bombing caused it little bother £1billion in damages is nothing, the only thing that caused it to enter financial trouble were its american long term exposures to health claims which had very large punitive damages awarded out in court. you really think one pathetic little truck bomb could bring down one of the largest insurance markets in the world? like honestly? please your knowledge of the this is awful.
the ira could never beat a highly developed industrial economy dont be so naive.

Latest

Trending

Trending