The Student Room Group

Placement Failed with no warning

Hey everyone,
Last Friday (which was the very end of my second last week of placement) I got informed by my mentor that I had failed my placement. After receiving very little feedback over the previous two weeks (some casual verbal feedback, some handwritten notes off of one teacher), and even being left alone with several classes, this obviously came as a huge shock. I contacted my uni tutor right away, and thankfully she confirmed what I was already pretty certain of; they are not allowed to fail me with no warning over a week before my placement is due to end.
I don't want to give out too many details so that I can keep things confidential, but here is some more information.
I had been told to work on a certain aspect of teaching, and when my mentor saw that I wasn't up to standard, instead of telling me he was concerned and flagging this up as an issue, he kept it to himself right up to the point that he decided to fail me. He then realised later that day that he was not allowed to do this, and gave me some things to work on in a rushed informal meeting right before a lesson, with some hope that I might pass if I worked on these things quickly. I was told he would wait to fill out the final report until the final few days.
I am in a strange position now where I have been given a little bit of hope, however it seems like they are pretty set on failing me.
I feel extremely confused as to why I was trusted to be alone with classes right up to the day I was 'failed'. I think my only hope is that my uni have agreed to come out and visit me next week. I'm nervous about this as this is my last chance to pass, however I'm hopeful that I can show them I'm capable.
Has anyone else ever had anything similar happen to them? I'm beyond shocked that this has happened with so few days left, and why they didn't even want to give me a chance to improve initially.
Original post by Jessica2121
Hey everyone,
Last Friday (which was the very end of my second last week of placement) I got informed by my mentor that I had failed my placement. After receiving very little feedback over the previous two weeks (some casual verbal feedback, some handwritten notes off of one teacher), and even being left alone with several classes, this obviously came as a huge shock. I contacted my uni tutor right away, and thankfully she confirmed what I was already pretty certain of; they are not allowed to fail me with no warning over a week before my placement is due to end.
I don't want to give out too many details so that I can keep things confidential, but here is some more information.
I had been told to work on a certain aspect of teaching, and when my mentor saw that I wasn't up to standard, instead of telling me he was concerned and flagging this up as an issue, he kept it to himself right up to the point that he decided to fail me. He then realised later that day that he was not allowed to do this, and gave me some things to work on in a rushed informal meeting right before a lesson, with some hope that I might pass if I worked on these things quickly. I was told he would wait to fill out the final report until the final few days.
I am in a strange position now where I have been given a little bit of hope, however it seems like they are pretty set on failing me.
I feel extremely confused as to why I was trusted to be alone with classes right up to the day I was 'failed'. I think my only hope is that my uni have agreed to come out and visit me next week. I'm nervous about this as this is my last chance to pass, however I'm hopeful that I can show them I'm capable.
Has anyone else ever had anything similar happen to them? I'm beyond shocked that this has happened with so few days left, and why they didn't even want to give me a chance to improve initially.

Hi there,

I am so sorry you had to experience this. May I ask how the final week of your placement went? I completed my 2nd year placement recently and our university's policy is that mentors must place students on an action plan if they are not improving as quick as they would like and from there the uni gets involved and supports you to achieving a pass. If it hasn't been achieved, then we would get placed there for another few weeks. I am shocked at the miscommunication you experienced and hope you were given the support you deserved for you situation.

Good luck to you regardless, and I hope you are doing okay.
Rachel- YSJ student rep
Hey everyone,

Just do not bother to try again. As someone who has attempted this twice and is expected to probably fail or i might quit (whatever happens). Find another useful career.

Judging by the timing of this post, i'm certain you have received your answer and you doing something 'useful' rather than dealing the disgusting behaviour of pupils show in the classroom.
Hey everyone,

In primary you shouldn’t be left alone with a class as a student. This is a safeguarding issue. Not sure about secondary.

When I’ve failed students, or refused to sign off standards, it’s been because they’ve had poor or no understanding of what is required of them. Have you been completely prepared for lessons? Is your planning up to scratch? Do you understand how to assess learning outcomes and mark work competently? Is your behaviour management effective?

It can be incredibly frustrating for a class teacher to have to hand over control of a class for whom they are accountable, to someone (whether it’s a cover teacher or student) who isn’t well prepared or putting 100% in. We can teach you to teach, but we can’t give you the motivation to do it.

Conversely, some teachers aren’t great at supervising students on placement. Their communication may be poor, they may be disorganised or not have a fair idea of what you should be expected to be able to do well at the relevant stage in your training.

Not sure what Key Stage you’re in, guessing secondary, but if you want some general advice, message me. I have twenty years experience of primary.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Quiet Benin
Just do not bother to try again. As someone who has attempted this twice and is expected to probably fail or i might quit (whatever happens). Find another useful career.
Judging by the timing of this post, i'm certain you have received your answer and you doing something 'useful' rather than dealing the disgusting behaviour of pupils show in the classroom.

The ‘disgusting behaviour’ is pretty much a standard feature of many classrooms these days and what you see on placement is important preparation for a teaching job. Some students and teachers never see it, depending on the schools they teach in, and are completely unprepared when they do encounter it. It is an opportunity to learn important management skills, which are ultimately about keeping children safe.
They are just as essential as subject knowledge.
I’m sorry your experience was negative; it happens. Hope you find something you enjoy. : )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending