The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The official UCL am I good enough / GCSE freak out thread

Scroll to see replies

Guys I recently got an offer from UCL and I don't think my GCSEs were that 'great' so you should have more faith lmao
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 781
Original post by theuglymeme
Guys I recently got an offer from UCL and I don't think my GCSEs were that 'great' so you should have more faith lmao

May i ask what courses you did for your A Levels?
Original post by LN05
May i ask what courses you did for your A Levels?

I am doing Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry but when I sent my application, I was still doing Psychology too which I dropped last week
I got 6c’s, did BSc in Business Computing Systems at City and now currently perusing a MSc Human-Computer Interaction at UCL this following September.
Reply 784
Masters courses are less competitive than Undergrad corses and it’s easier to get a good mark at low ranking universities.
Hello, I’m just wondering if anyone here has similar grades or had similar grades whilst applying to UCL LLB Law. I know the PS also is really important so obviously grades aren’t everything to an application, but I was wondering if I could get a second opinion if someone with my grades could be considered for LLB Law .

GCSE- 8888877665 + A* , A
AS targets (my school does MTG’s rather than predicted for AS) AAAA in Law, history, English lit and English language + an EPQ
A-Level targets- not formally set but tutor said shes confident they’ll be A*A*A* in law and the 2 English courses.

Thank you :smile:
For those worrying about getting into UCL.

My GCSEs -
Maths 9
Eng Lang and Lit 7
Bio A
Physics B
Chem B
History B
Sociology B
RE A
French C

I just did my A levels in Maths, Further Maths and Bio and got A*AA. I have a confirmed place for UCl Econ in September. My GCSEs weren’t all that but It still worked out...
Yes, GCSEs are not that important criteria when it comes to UCL. As long as you meet the individual requirements, and get good grades at A level, you should be fine. For example, I got appalling GCSE grades, nothing exceeding 5 Cs, with my lowest being 2 Es. I got into UCL to study Egyptian archaeology with A level grades of A*AAA. What was important was that the course requires at least a 5 or C in a foreign language, one of my Cs being Spanish.

So don't freat too much on your GCSEs. Just smash your A levels and you should be fine.
Original post by hau28
Masters courses are less competitive than Undergrad corses and it’s easier to get a good mark at low ranking universities.

Cool story bro. where have you been educated?
Reply 789
Uni of Leeds
Original post by Jusgugs
Cool story bro. where have you been educated?
UCL gcse eng lang requirement is minimum 6 but I got a 5, if your other grades are fine and A level predicted grades are high, will they still not consider giving you an offer solely because of one gcse subject?
Original post by Anonymous
UCL gcse eng lang requirement is minimum 6 but I got a 5, if your other grades are fine and A level predicted grades are high, will they still not consider giving you an offer solely because of one gcse subject?

I think they will ask you to retake that gcse. They did for my friend. But depending on how high the other grades are they could let it go.
Hi Guys,

Just thought I’d post this here if it were to be of interest to anyone. I’m a recent Oxford E&M grad. Before that I received 5A*s and 2As in my A-Level exams. I also received offers from LSE, UCL, Warwick and Durham all for straight Econ.

I’m currently giving advice on applications and exams as well as on entrance exams (TSA). If you’re interested, please feel free to get in touch via the link below. (I don’t tend to com onto TSR much).

https://tutorhub.com/users/ash_prab
Hi Guys,

Just thought I’d post this here if it were to be of interest to anyone. I’m a recent Oxford E&M grad. Before that I received 5A*s and 2As in my A-Level exams. I also received offers from LSE, UCL, Warwick and Durham all for straight Econ.

I’m currently giving advice on applications and exams as well as on entrance exams (TSA). If you’re interested, please feel free to get in touch via the link below. (I don’t tend to com onto TSR much).

Original post by Anonymous

I think it may depend on the course because my course requires a 5.
Reply 795
Original post by skylake
Hi Guys,

You did 7 full A Levels? wtf
Original post by skylake
Hi Guys,

Which subjects did you do for your A levles? And were all these A levels done in two years 😯...
I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Critical Thinking and General Studies. And yes all in one go.
Reply 798
Hi,
I will be applying for BA History.
My GCSEs:
9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 8, 7, L2D*
That 7 is in French (I've heard UCL requires a languages GCSE?)
My A Levels:
A, A, A, A at AS
Predicted A*, A*, A*, A at A2 (A* history and politics)
My A Levels are Maths, Further Maths, History, Politics.

How likely am I to get an offer from UCL?

Thank you for your help!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MP66
Hi,
I will be applying for BA History.
My GCSEs:
9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 8, 7, L2D*, A*
That 7 is in French (I've heard UCL requires a languages GCSE?)
My A Levels:
A, A, A, A at AS
Predicted A*, A*, A*, A at A2 (A* history and politics)
My A Levels are Maths, Further Maths, History, Politics.

How likely am I to get an offer from UCL?

Thank you for your help!

very likely- those r excellent predicted grades, and r backed up by as levels and gcses. Did u take the as level exams? I didnt know u could even do that anymore

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending