The Student Room Group

Architectural Association 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My passport? Nothing else. The interview lasted about 20 minutes.
Reply 21
were they other applicants as well when u came for your interview?
Reply 22
I chose my time from among those offered to me. Interviews are individual. I don't know if anyone else was scheduled either later or earlier in the day.
Reply 23
Original post by bobanie
I was pleased with the interview. Mostly we talked about my portfolio. Everyone was very nice. It is my absolute first choice.

I am applying for First Year. EU applicant. (But that doesn't matter to AA.)

any news?
Reply 24
I received an offer a week ago. For the Foundation Course. I am 17 and preparing for IB exams now. I know most AA First Year students are older than me, some significantly so. I guess this offer means they see potential in me. I have some offers in the US, but I have always wanted to study at the AA.

Good luck to you. Let us know what you decide.
Original post by bobanie
I received an offer a week ago. For the Foundation Course. I am 17 and preparing for IB exams now. I know most AA First Year students are older than me, some significantly so. I guess this offer means they see potential in me.

Congratulations. However, as has been frequently pointed out on TSR in these fora, we have yet to hear of anyone not being offered a place on the AA's Foundation Course. Cynic that I am, I think your offer means they see potential to relieve £££ from you.
Reply 26
Original post by bobanie
I received an offer a week ago. For the Foundation Course. I am 17 and preparing for IB exams now. I know most AA First Year students are older than me, some significantly so. I guess this offer means they see potential in me. I have some offers in the US, but I have always wanted to study at the AA.

Good luck to you. Let us know what you decide.

congrats! they called me today asking if was available for an interview on the 20th of april. they told me to bring originals of all the documents they had asked for previously, i hope it's a good sign. they know that without their help i wouldn't be able to study there, so i guess if I am accepted, then it is together with a scholarship.

if i got rejected, or was offered a place at the foundation course i would go to csm.
i'm 20, so they can't be that much older.
Reply 27
Good luck to you! Let me know. You have so many great choices. You will do well wherever you choose.
Reply 28
Original post by jrhartley
Congratulations. However, as has been frequently pointed out on TSR in these fora, we have yet to hear of anyone not being offered a place on the AA's Foundation Course. Cynic that I am, I think your offer means they see potential to relieve £££ from you.

I have read your comments and those of others on these fora over the past few years. I have also visited the AA, spoken with current students (some of whom are former classmates) and faculty from my home country, who were very open to answering my detailed questions.

There are only 20 places at AA Foundation. Maybe I am naive, but I have to believe that there are more than 20 applicants, all of whom are aware of the cost, the benefits and the alternatives, prior to applying.

I hold offer from several unis in the US. The cost to attend the AA is comparable, but I believe the quality is far superior. How could it not be with only 20 students?

Thank you for your kind congratulations to me. I wish you only the best with your studies and career.
Reply 29
congrats, I dont normally post on here.... Im an AA grad, I'm not rich, I was on scholarship.
I work at a great firm where we do meaningful work that is both challenging, at times unconventional, meaningful and progressive.

Dont worry about "JRHARTLEY" he's in Cardiff-land, there are no Cardiff teachers at Ivy League schools, no Cardiff pritzker winners and Cardiff typically produces the kind of architect that fixes leaky roofs or does generic layouts for offices. In fact, outside of the UK no one knows what the hell a Cardiff is or a Bartlett for that matter.

good times await you, you will be around inspiring and intelligent people that are not interested in your money. It's place that does not subscribe to the mass indoctrination happening in many UK schools, where the cheap collective becomes more important than personal development.
Original post by guido3000
. In fact, outside of the UK no one knows what the hell a Cardiff is or a Bartlett for that matter.

good times await you, you will be around inspiring and intelligent people that are not interested in your money. It's place that does not subscribe to the mass indoctrination happening in many UK schools, where the cheap collective becomes more important than personal development.

Funny! Keep believing the AA mantra. All I know is during the three weeks I was there, I have never experienced such generic, trite, repetitive, left-of-mainstream thinking masquerading under the delusion that it was actually radical.
Reply 31
I work at a great firm where we do meaningful work

Define 'meaningful'. I bet you don't.

In fact, outside of the UK no one knows what the hell a Cardiff is or a Bartlett for that matter.

That's probably because the AA spends a considerable amount of its privately funded budget on international marketing to allow for gullible tools from other countries to think that it's actually worth going to such a crap institution. Other schools don't advertise anywhere near the extent that the AA does because they are mostly state funded so it's little wonder overseas people haven't heard of Cardiff or the Bartlett.
Reply 32
im from south east asia. though i am also applying for AA, cardiff and bartlett is very well known and respectable here :smile:
Reply 33
congrats, I dont normally post on here.... Im an AA grad, I'm not rich, I was on scholarship.
I work at a great firm where we do meaningful work that is both challenging, at times unconventional, meaningful and progressive.

Dont worry about "JRHARTLEY" he's in Cardiff-land, there are no Cardiff teachers at Ivy League schools, no Cardiff pritzker winners and Cardiff typically produces the kind of architect that fixes leaky roofs or does generic layouts for offices. In fact, outside of the UK no one knows what the hell a Cardiff is or a Bartlett for that matter.

Thank you very much for your kind words! I have decided to accept the offer to attend the AA. I will work my hardest in Foundation in order to be accepted into First Year. I am determined to get the most out of this fabulous opportunity to study at the AA, where I am convinced I will grow creatively and intellectually in directions that would not be possible elsewhere.

Thank you again for your kind words and best of luck to you with your career!
Reply 34
Original post by jrhartley
Funny! Keep believing the AA mantra. All I know is during the three weeks I was there, I have never experienced such generic, trite, repetitive, left-of-mainstream thinking masquerading under the delusion that it was actually radical.

Can you expand upon that? because it just sounds like hot air to me. I wouldn't say architects like FAT(who teach there) represent left of mainstream.
Reply 35
Original post by Ex Death

Define 'meaningful'. I bet you don't.

That's probably because the AA spends a considerable amount of its privately funded budget on international marketing to allow for gullible tools from other countries to think that it's actually worth going to such a crap institution. Other schools don't advertise anywhere near the extent that the AA does because they are mostly state funded so it's little wonder overseas people haven't heard of Cardiff or the Bartlett.

Work that takes risk. Are you going to go on a diatribe of conventionalism now?

Most of the money goes into publications, lectures, even work that is freely accessible. You have a right to remain in a local cosmology, but some of us like being international. It's simply different, some think the state-funded mentality is a handicap.

And it's not "international marketing" its sharing knowledge and resources at a nonlocal level.
Regardless of your opinion the work at the AA speaks for itself locally and internationally.
Reply 36
Work that takes risk. Are you going to go on a diatribe of conventionalism now?

I bet that's what they tell you and you bought it. Other schools do the whole 'work that takes risk' better eg. the Bartlett. Just because the AA loves to indulge itself in issues far removed from reality doesn't mean that other schools deal with conventionalism as you put it. Other school's work is far more interesting than that of the AA as they actually deal with REAL issues. The Bartlett does the whole pie-in-the-sky approach better than the AA. Schools like Cardiff, the Bartlett, Sheffield, Bath, Nottingham, Glasgow etc. are much better than the AA.

Most of the money goes into publications, lectures, even work that is freely accessible.

Actually most of the money lines up in the pockets of those at the top of the AA, like all private institutions.

It's simply different, some think the state-funded mentality is a handicap.

Yes of course. It must be a handicap to offer higher education to those less well off. How dare education be funded by the state - only the rich deserve the privilege of higher education! It's this snobby, pretentious attitude which proliferates the AA and it (clearly) rubs off the students.

And it's not "international marketing" its sharing knowledge and resources at a nonlocal level.
Regardless of your opinion the work at the AA speaks for itself locally and internationally.

More BS.
Reply 37
Original post by Ex Death
I bet that's what they tell you and you bought it. Other schools do the whole 'work that takes risk' better eg. the Bartlett. Just because the AA loves to indulge itself in issues far removed from reality doesn't mean that other schools deal with conventionalism as you put it. Other school's work is far more interesting than that of the AA as they actually deal with REAL issues. The Bartlett does the whole pie-in-the-sky approach better than the AA. Schools like Cardiff, the Bartlett, Sheffield, Bath, Nottingham, Glasgow etc. are much better than the AA.

Actually most of the money lines up in the pockets of those at the top of the AA, like all private institutions.

Yes of course. It must be a handicap to offer higher education to those less well off. How dare education be funded by the state - only the rich deserve the privilege of higher education! It's this snobby, pretentious attitude which proliferates the AA and it (clearly) rubs off the students.

More BS.

You must be an insecure British student. You bought your education with a hefty chunk of tax dollars because the AA wouldn't give you a scholarship. We had the chance to be part of Imperial, we turned it down, not because of money, but because of independence. How are the tuition spikes going by the way? I think many international students don't know about this UK forum.... Thats a good thing because then they don't have to come across your resentful anti-culturalism.

I'm not really interested in debating who does "better work". I'll obviously say the AA does, and you'll go on with your list, and we'll be here for months. I was simply taking a jab at your friend from Cardiff.

There has always been cross pollination between the AA and Bartlett. I like some of the Bartlett work, have friends/coworkers that went there as well as other UK schools. But I think your opinion of the AA is only spewing ignorance and contempt, while robbing you and others of deeper thinking. 3 Pritzker winners, great small, medium, large firms in the UK and abroad, composed of Brits and non-Brits. I could go on and on about how amazing a place it is, with great faculty and student work that is not hung up on dystopic robot wars.

Fact: I came across no more rich kids at the AA then when I was at the Bartlett. At the Bartlett you go and get your degree, you leave, your tutors leave. At the AA you're a member for life. I'm telling you this as a former "less well off student"

Everyone at the top lines their pockets, what are you a communist? You've got your head buried in the sand, I'm not going to indulge your degenerative world view any further.
(edited 12 years ago)
well . friends sorry for this msg out of subject :tongue: . but im houssam a student of architecture from morocco . i want to contact some students of architecture here :smile: thanx all :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 39
You must be an insecure British student. You bought your education with a hefty chunk of tax dollars because the AA wouldn't give you a scholarship. We had the chance to be part of Imperial, we turned it down, not because of money, but because of independence. How are the tuition spikes going by the way? I think many international students don't know about this UK forum.... Thats a good thing because then they don't have to come across your resentful anti-culturalism.

In this tiny paragraph here, you have managed to make 3 unbelievably stupid assumptions.

1. I am an insecure British student - I don't know where 'insecure' comes into it. I'm just pointing out that the AA is a crap institution. You're the one relentlessly trying to defend it under the delusion that your terrible arguments are actually convincing. Who's the insecure one?

2. The AA wouldn't give me a scholarship - I never applied to the AA. Good job pulling that one out of your arse.

3. I somehow represent anti-culturalism - Funny how someone as stupid as yourself interprets having a bash at the AA as an attack on 'culturalism'. You really are delusional.

3 Pritzker winners, great small, medium, large firms in the UK and abroad, composed of Brits and non-Brits.

Ask yourself why that is. Hint: The majority of people at the AA come from rich backgrounds. Once they graduate they have their rich contacts at their disposal to then go build some expensive architecture and win some prizes. The AA has nothing to do with offering a good architectural education and has everything to do with big business interests.

Everyone at the top lines their pockets, what are you a communist? You've got your head buried in the sand, I'm not going to indulge your degenerative world view any further.

The fact that I am against private education makes me a communist? I don't think I need any further proof that you really are stupid as hell. It's a good job the AA doesn't accept its students on academic merit because otherwise you surely wouldn't have gotten in. You're the one with the degenerative world view. It was obvious from your first post in this thread that you come across as a snobby, elitist tosser. What's worse is that you're really stupid to boot.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending