The Student Room Group

Architectural Association 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Has anyone (applying for 2013) heard from them yet?
Reply 101
Original post by vitanuova
Has anyone (applying for 2013) heard from them yet?
Im still waiting, they told me that once the new fees for 2013/2014 will be out, they will start sending offer letters
Reply 102
Original post by aadrl
Im still waiting, they told me that once the new fees for 2013/2014 will be out, they will start sending offer letters

do you mean offer to the interview? or offer a place to study there? because I'm still waiting for interview offer.
Reply 103
Original post by vitanuova
do you mean offer to the interview? or offer a place to study there? because I'm still waiting for interview offer.

I meant offer to the school. Which course are you interested in? Depending on that the interview may be sooner or later though. Anyway the interview isnt obligatory, if they likeyour portfolio and reccomendatoon letters you will be accepted for sure.:tongue:
Reply 104
Original post by mizx
hi, i'm an international applicant.

i was just wondering if anyone is applying to AA this september?
has anyone heard from them?

ps: i was just wondering, how hard is it to get into AA? need to hear some opinion esp from the current students. many thanks!

Hi, i am also applying for the MArch in Sustainable Environmental Design. Haven´t heard from them yet, they told me the first batch of acceptance letters comes out usually on february so hopefully we will have info soon. I was accepted last year but could not make it because of some trouble with my degree. I´m an international applicant too.

Best of luck to you all.
Reply 105
Original post by aadrl
I meant offer to the school. Which course are you interested in? Depending on that the interview may be sooner or later though. Anyway the interview isnt obligatory, if they likeyour portfolio and reccomendatoon letters you will be accepted for sure.:tongue:

I'm not so sure that an interview isn't obligatory, when I was applying last year and attended the Open Day, they took care to specifically mention that you must attend interviews (which will be a part of the process for everyone) and that the interview could not be a phone interview, it must be in person. This was an Undergraduate Open Day, I'm not sure if it works differently for Masters etc., but I don't see any reason why the strict system would mean you wouldn't have to have an interview. Everyone at Undergraduate level at the AA has had an interview, and though the AA might have a certain reputation, they do genuinely care about the type of person you are and what you understand about architecture, and this can only be understood in an interview.
Update: hmm, it seems, after some research, that for the AA Masters applicants an interview isn't obligatory, for whatever reason! I'm also told that it's common for Masters applicants across a lot of universities though. For the undergraduate applicants out there: good luck, the interview is tougher than most architecture course interviews so be prepared!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by khilleesi
I know i am also a bit late to this thread but i too cannot find another AA thread. I was wondering, does the eligibility for scholarships to AA only apply to new uk and basically foreign students, or can british students also apply for it? It's such an an expensive school which is such a shame as there are so many talented students who wish to study there but they cannot afford it.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I'd only just seen the post now - perhaps this post can help future applicants also.
British students can apply for a full or part scholarship and bursaries, there is no difference at all in that respect. Also, if you're worrying about Student Finance and term payments (as I had been earlier in this thread...) a quick call and arrangement with the head of finance (an amazing lady, Marilyn) will quickly sort that out. Because some students are entirely reliant on Student Finance for their tuition fees, the AA will, in exceptional cases, make allowances for late payments of fees. But this has to be pre-arranged with Marilyn, there is no excuse otherwise, but Marilyn is very reasonable. Also Student Finance do cover fees for the AA so if you are reliant on the government for university fees there is nothing to worry about for the time being.
Reply 107
Original post by aadrl

I applied for undergrad. :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by Sandy K
I'm not so sure that an interview isn't obligatory, when I was applying last year and attended the Open Day, they took care to specifically mention that you must attend interviews (which will be a part of the process for everyone) and that the interview could not be a phone interview, it must be in person. This was an Undergraduate Open Day, I'm not sure if it works differently for Masters etc., but I don't see any reason why the strict system would mean you wouldn't have to have an interview. Everyone at Undergraduate level at the AA has had an interview, and though the AA might have a certain reputation, they do genuinely care about the type of person you are and what you understand about architecture, and this can only be understood in an interview.
Update: hmm, it seems, after some research, that for the AA Masters applicants an interview isn't obligatory, for whatever reason! I'm also told that it's common for Masters applicants across a lot of universities though. For the undergraduate applicants out there: good luck, the interview is tougher than most architecture course interviews so be prepared!

I heard that getting interview means 80-90% acceptance because many international students have to come to UK to interview. If many students don't get an offer, they must be angry.:biggrin: So AA offers interview to not many students...
Reply 109
Original post by pkpkppk
I heard that getting interview means 80-90% acceptance because many international students have to come to UK to interview. If many students don't get an offer, they must be angry.:biggrin: So AA offers interview to not many students...

I'm not so sure... it's true that not everyone gets an interview so the selection process is intense even at that stage. In First Year there are 60-70 students though I remember it looked like they had interviewed about 200 or so (which is still a massive cut from the number of people that had originally applied) The interviews were done on a sign up basis over two months (February-March) so you could pick when you'd like to be interviewed - this made it easier for the international students to plan ahead. :-) All the people put forward for an interview could see who else had been selected, due to this sign up system.

This is off topic from the interview discussion but I'll mention it anyway since its been discussed amongst my fellow pupils and I feel it should be known here also: the scary thing is that I've heard people saying that they 'kick' about 10 people out at the end of First Year, based on the end-of-year final assessment. They're already asking some people I know to leave so there's a lot of pressure to keep working your very best!
I think this may be due to their policies for applicants. What I mean is that they try to take as many people as they feel are capable to study at the AA (obviously within reason) because they believe in giving as many opportunities as possible. This year they accepted more people than usual and so it has been hard-pressed (remember the AA is privately run with little to no funding from the government and pays stupid amounts of money to be located at Bedford Square, which actually belongs to 'The Earl of Bedford') thus they're looking for ways to cut down on numbers - that is how the story goes amongst First Years anyway!

The AA really is a fascinating place!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
hope to hear back from AA soon. still waiting +_+. Anyone applied for Part2 Diploma? it's definitely my first and the only choice.
Reply 111
hi :smile: did anyone get already an offer for next year course in the Architectural Association?
I'm waiting yet for a response but its already mid March and I don't know if this is normal or not?
Reply 112
Original post by aadrl
hi :smile: did anyone get already an offer for next year course in the Architectural Association?
I'm waiting yet for a response but its already mid March and I don't know if this is normal or not?

still haven't heard from them yet... :frown:
Reply 113
has anyone got offers for the undergraduate program yet? If not, does anyone know when offers are usually given out?
Reply 114
Original post by HJSpence
has anyone got offers for the undergraduate program yet? If not, does anyone know when offers are usually given out?

I got given mine quite a few weeks back, did you have an interview??
Reply 115
Original post by Ruroyer72
I got given mine quite a few weeks back, did you have an interview??

No, i haven't heard from them ever since i submitted my portfolio.
Reply 116
Original post by HJSpence
No, i haven't heard from them ever since i submitted my portfolio.

hey, same here...when did you submit your portfolio? I submitted mine in January.
Anyone have any updates? I'm dying to know what happens from here on.

I applied very late in April which was way past the deadline, and they said there was a high possibility they might not look at my application. However, I just got a call which confirmed an interview date on the 2Xth May. Still no email confirmation though.

It'd be extremely helpful if anyone could tell me about how the interview process is carried out. What do they ask or expect? Is it just a show and tell about your portfolio? What about questions regarding yourself, or even academic architectural-themed questions? I'm applying for the Undergraduate Course, by the way.

Dying to know more, so please help out! Thanks!
Reply 118
Original post by Brisk Spring
Anyone have any updates? I'm dying to know what happens from here on.

I applied very late in April which was way past the deadline, and they said there was a high possibility they might not look at my application. However, I just got a call which confirmed an interview date on the 2Xth May. Still no email confirmation though.

It'd be extremely helpful if anyone could tell me about how the interview process is carried out. What do they ask or expect? Is it just a show and tell about your portfolio? What about questions regarding yourself, or even academic architectural-themed questions? I'm applying for the Undergraduate Course, by the way.

Dying to know more, so please help out! Thanks!

Hey don't worry about it, the interview is incredibly relaxed, its definitely more of a show and tell, I wasn't asked anything difficult, I don't even remember being asked why I wanted to study there :tongue: which was quite strange. I also went for 1st year undergrad, but was told that if they don't think you're ready they may recommend doing their foundation, so be confident about your work, and show plenty of variety to prove you're able to experiment. You wont need to plan answers or anything like that they wont ask who built XYZ, or the birth place of John Soane like some uni's.
Original post by Ruroyer72
Hey don't worry about it, the interview is incredibly relaxed, its definitely more of a show and tell, I wasn't asked anything difficult, I don't even remember being asked why I wanted to study there :tongue: which was quite strange. I also went for 1st year undergrad, but was told that if they don't think you're ready they may recommend doing their foundation, so be confident about your work, and show plenty of variety to prove you're able to experiment. You wont need to plan answers or anything like that they wont ask who built XYZ, or the birth place of John Soane like some uni's.

Alright, thanks a bunch! I'll work on my portfolio presentation show-and-tell style then!
Also, did you do yours this year as well? For the coming September intake? If so, hoping to see you there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending