The Student Room Group

UKCAT

Hello everyone.
How long does it takes to prepare for UKCAT?
Depends on the individual. Some people can walk in with no preparation, others it takes a fair bit longer. My personal advice would be to buy all the books and download the practice questions and about a month in advance start doing perhaps 30 minutes / 1 hour per day and then as the time gets nearer to test day increase the amount. Some people like a break on the day before the exam but I think I just spent most of the day looking through all the questions I had done and going through all the abstract reasoning 'typical' problems that seem to repeatedly come up. Preparation does, on the whole, help.
The average on here tends to be about two weeks at about an hour a day.
It's quite easy to run out of prep material and you don't want to be hanging about for a week for an exam with no prep left.
Prep makes the waiting go quicker and you don't realise you have X days left for a test with nothing to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Kingbradley6
Depends on the individual. Some people can walk in with no preparation, others it takes a fair bit longer. My personal advice would be to buy all the books and download the practice questions and about a month in advance start doing perhaps 30 minutes / 1 hour per day and then as the time gets nearer to test day increase the amount. Some people like a break on the day before the exam but I think I just spent most of the day looking through all the questions I had done and going through all the abstract reasoning 'typical' problems that seem to repeatedly come up. Preparation does, on the whole, help.

Would it be possible for you to send me the link to the practice questions? Plus, can you name the books that you used please? I'd be a big help. Thanks
Dont over work it...

I think I did two and bit weeks before my exam... (Took it in July so was still in school so didnt have anymore time...)

I think roughly an hour but sometimes I would work on it in my frees :smile:
Original post by mycollege
Would it be possible for you to send me the link to the practice questions? Plus, can you name the books that you used please? I'd be a big help. Thanks

Books:

Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions

Passing the UKCAT and BMAT 2009/2010 Editions

How to Master the UKCAT

BMAT and UKCAT Uncovered (I didn't like this and wouldn't recommend it)

And in regards to people saying don't over do it, it depends on the individual - it really does. Also I ran out of practice stuff both this year and last year (on a gap year). So I went through the same stuff twice. Maybe explains my slightly less score this year than last lol? But yeah even recapping the same material is useful...I think.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kingbradley6

This man speaketh sense.

Start a month before, just looking at your basic maths skills and a few questions here and there. Just to get into the right mindset and way of thinking.

Two weeks before, start doing 2 hours a day. Every day. 2x 1 hour ideally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending