The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kidioteque
As am I...how are you feeling about it/how are you revising for it? :lol: I'm dreading it as I also have Economics tomorrow, so I feel as though I should really concentrate on that.

OCR?
Reply 1181
Original post by Kalliope
I'm doing Critical Thinking too (Fri & Tues). How are you feeling about it/ how are you revising for it?

Lol this is bad but I don't think I am gonna revise much of it. I have Physics tomorrow and that's WAY more important for me, it's what I want to go on and study so that'll take priority tonight. If I have time then maybe I will go through the stuff, we got a few A4 sheets that have all the key points on so might have a quick glance through them before I go to bed but nothing major really. Are you taking Critical Thinking seriously? I might be making a mistake not caring about it but it's such a time-waster. I can only see it being beneficial if you take History or go on to do Law or something of the sort.
Original post by Maxima
Lol this is bad but I don't think I am gonna revise much of it. I have Physics tomorrow and that's WAY more important for me, it's what I want to go on and study so that'll take priority tonight. If I have time then maybe I will go through the stuff, we got a few A4 sheets that have all the key points on so might have a quick glance through them before I go to bed but nothing major really. Are you taking Critical Thinking seriously? I might be making a mistake not caring about it but it's such a time-waster. I can only see it being beneficial if you take History or go on to do Law or something of the sort.

Exactly the same! I took a day off yesterday (last exam was Tues) and thought I'd make up for it by a full day today. Did two practice papers and decided to stop. I know the content and while I do sometimes drop a few marks it's always because of things specific to that extract rather than anything I can revise. I do however want to do well, because while it's not worth anything I have really enjoyed my lessons and so would like to give something back to my teacher (and also, I always want to do well!)

I'm actually going to do an ELAT paper instead, because I started looking over one yesterday and I'd like to write my response up. How awfully geeky :colondollar:

As am I...how are you feeling about it/how are you revising for it? :lol: I'm dreading it as I also have Economics tomorrow, so I feel as though I should really concentrate on that.

See the above :smile:
Second time round for me. Boo.
Original post by berryripple
OCR?

Economics or Crit? My Economics is Edexcel, but Crit is OCR. :smile:
Exactly the same! I took a day off yesterday (last exam was Tues) and thought I'd make up for it by a full day today. Did two practice papers and decided to stop. I know the content and while I do sometimes drop a few marks it's always because of things specific to that extract rather than anything I can revise. I do however want to do well, because while it's not worth anything I have really enjoyed my lessons and so would like to give something back to my teacher (and also, I always want to do well!)

Would past papers be the main way you'd recommend revising Crit? I've not got a clue how else I could revise it, yet I don't particularly fancy sitting down and doing a paper - I find them awfully tedious. To make matters worse we haven't been given any sheets/revision materials by our teacher (if you can call him that...he tends to rant for an hour rather than teach us anything).

Would past papers be the main way you'd recommend revising Crit? I've not got a clue how else I could revise it, yet I don't particularly fancy sitting down and doing a paper - I find them awfully tedious. To make matters worse we haven't been given any sheets/revision materials by our teacher (if you can call him that...he tends to rant for an hour rather than teach us anything).

Economics, but never mind :smile:

Also lol at "crit" :biggrin:
Economics, but never mind :smile:

Also lol at "crit" :biggrin:

"Crit" rhymes with a word that pretty much perfectly describes what I think of it :lol:
Enjoying a nutella bagel and listening to birds tweeting :biggrin:
Economics is tedious :tongue:

I think so, yeah. With Examiner's Reports to top them up. Or you could just go and sit in the sun :colondollar:
If any of you end up with AAAB instead of AAAA, are you still applying?
I'm considering switching from Law to IR if that happens and changing university choices slightly.

I got in with AAAAB in my Highers (and also got into Warwick, Bristol and Imperial). It shouldn't matter too much. Oxford has a lot of other things it can judge you on: admissions tests, interviews, etc. If anything, it'll be more of a problem for competitive universities which don't have these extra tests. With law a lot of universities ask for the LNAT, so doing well in that will definitely offset a B in an unrelated fourth subject. :smile:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
I got in with AAAAB in my Highers (and also got into Warwick, Bristol and Imperial). It shouldn't matter too much. Oxford has a lot of other things it can judge you on: admissions tests, interviews, etc. If anything, it'll be more of a problem for competitive universities which don't have these extra tests. With law a lot of universities ask for the LNAT, so doing well in that will definitely offset a B in an unrelated fourth subject. :smile:

thanks :smile: chemistry is fairly unrelated to law so that soothes my fears a bit :P
X

How're you revising for econ tomorrow? I've done nothing yet (have physics as well tomorrow, it's taking up all my time :colonhash:).
Original post by rofflewaffle
How're you revising for econ tomorrow? I've done nothing yet (have physics as well tomorrow, it's taking up all my time :colonhash:).

It's such a nice day so I couldn't really be arsed :colonhash:

Made a few notes from the textbook :colonhash:
It's such a nice day so I couldn't really be arsed :colonhash:

Made a few notes from the textbook :colonhash:

Yeahh same problem here :colonhash:. That's more than I have done :yy:
Original post by rofflewaffle
Yeahh same problem here :colonhash:. That's more than I have done :yy:

Economics is the only subject I'm 100% sure I'll get an A in anyway (watch me fail now I've said that) :colonhash:
I think so, yeah. With Examiner's Reports to top them up. Or you could just go and sit in the sun :colondollar:

Sun. *shudders*

I wanted to go into sixth form and revise tomorrow, but now I can't because it's going to be really sunny and the library is essentially a massive greenhouse. I cannot work in the sun. :unimpressed:

How have everybody's exams been going, by the way? :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Nobody cares about crit. Ppl get in with C,D in crit

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1197
For the open days in June, do you need to book to actually visit the colleges?
I only want to look around the colleges and am not bothered about attending any of the talks, is it possible to just drop into the colleges and have a look around without having pre-booked?
Original post by PeteyB26
For the open days in June, do you need to book to actually visit the colleges?
I only want to look around the colleges and am not bothered about attending any of the talks, is it possible to just drop into the colleges and have a look around without having pre-booked?

It is possible, if you're not interested in the talks. If you have a particular college in mind, it might be worth going to the talks though. They're very informative. For example, when I went on my open day as a Year 12 potential applicant, I spent 1.5 hours listening to the tutor (who went on to be my tutor at Oxford) talking about the college and giving lots of information about the interview process. By the time it came to me applying, I had met this tutor three times and made a good impression; I had also been in the room that I was interviewed in, which meant I was more relax. So there are some benefits to think about.

If you need accommodation at a college, you will need to book :yes:
Reply 1199
What time should I arrive the night before the open day? (I've booked for accomodation)
If I arrive in Oxford, for example, at 15 pm, do I have to wait or I can stay into the room? There is something I can see in the meanwhile? (public places, etc.)

Latest

Trending

Trending