The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Officially a med school reject :frown:

All isn't lost though. Here's my plan:

- Buy a new car radio to make myself feel better.
- Apply for a part-time job to give me money until summer.
- Get my predicted A-Level grades (A*A*A) by working my arse off.
- I turn 18 in August, but I'm going to ring up care homes in advance to see if I can apply once 18.
- Carry on volunteering with SJA.
- Use my contacts to get work experience wherever I can get it. More out of motivation than PS stuff. Have contacts at Addenbrookes, Hinchingbrooke, Peterborough General, Papworth and Birmingham Children's Hospital (already done work exp at the second two).
- Regardless of getting work experience chances, I'm going to volunteer at one of the local hospitals. They do a weekly thing.
- School's got connections with an orphanage in Kenya. Apparently someone last year went over to do some teaching, and my Head of VI Form said we've got the contacts so that's a possibility.
- Spend my hard-earned cash on travelling!

Felt really down when I got my last rejection, but making lists of my plan makes me feel a bit better :P These unis are going to bloody well want me next year!
Original post by Slavivlad
Getting a job as a bank HCA is a great idea, but it takes quite a bit of waiting for them to get through the paperwork/CRB/references etc. Take me for example, I applied for a bank HCA job in June/July, didn't start it until January. But it's worth trying.

Wow I didn't realise just how long it takes. How do you find it now, do you get many shifts? Also how did you apply, was it a vacancy or is it something that you can just sign up to do and they allocate whatever shifts they have? The other problem is I only live in a town so I don't really know how much demand there is in my area
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Officially a med school reject :frown:

All isn't lost though. Here's my plan:

- Buy a new car radio to make myself feel better.
- Apply for a part-time job to give me money until summer.
- Get my predicted A-Level grades (A*A*A) by working my arse off.
- I turn 18 in August, but I'm going to ring up care homes in advance to see if I can apply once 18.
- Carry on volunteering with SJA.
- Use my contacts to get work experience wherever I can get it. More out of motivation than PS stuff. Have contacts at Addenbrookes, Hinchingbrooke, Peterborough General, Papworth and Birmingham Children's Hospital (already done work exp at the second two).
- Regardless of getting work experience chances, I'm going to volunteer at one of the local hospitals. They do a weekly thing.
- School's got connections with an orphanage in Kenya. Apparently someone last year went over to do some teaching, and my Head of VI Form said we've got the contacts so that's a possibility.
- Spend my hard-earned cash on travelling!

Felt really down when I got my last rejection, but making lists of my plan makes me feel a bit better :P These unis are going to bloody well want me next year!

fancy sharing your hospital contacts? :P i had to be really persistent to get hospital experience, i think they only gave it to me to make me stop ringing them...
Reply 43
Hey I've been an official 2012 Med School reject since February now! I got 3 rejections on the same day - the other rejection was in December. I accepted my medical sciences place for now and I'm hopefully going to be able to reject them in the summer when I get my grades. I'm dreading resitting the UKCAT - I'm not sure if it's worth applying for the UKCAT before results day - are any of you going to start you UCAS form before results day ?
My plans for next year involve;
Getting some more work experience - I mainly need some volunteering stuff now. I too have lots of contacts at various hospitals - mainly family but I dont think I can ask them again for work experience.
I'm either going to get a car or travel after I've heard back from all my universities.
I've got a job at Tesco so I'm going to try and get some more hours there.
Original post by Maz93
Hey I've been an official 2012 Med School reject since February now! I got 3 rejections on the same day - the other rejection was in December. I accepted my medical sciences place for now and I'm hopefully going to be able to reject them in the summer when I get my grades. I'm dreading resitting the UKCAT - I'm not sure if it's worth applying for the UKCAT before results day - are any of you going to start you UCAS form before results day ?
My plans for next year involve;
Getting some more work experience - I mainly need some volunteering stuff now. I too have lots of contacts at various hospitals - mainly family but I dont think I can ask them again for work experience.
I'm either going to get a car or travel after I've heard back from all my universities.
I've got a job at Tesco so I'm going to try and get some more hours there.

oh god i feel so bad for you having to hear all on the same day! my head of 6th form advised me to pop into school after summer exams are over to get my ucas done. That way shell be able to help me alter my personal statement before all the year 12s start flooding into her office and im also free to concentrate on getting a good UKCAT score over summer. all ill have to do is enter my grades on results day and she'll send it off as soon as applications open :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by i_hate_ucas
Wow I didn't realise just how long it takes. How do you find it now, do you get many shifts? Also how did you apply, was it a vacancy or is it something that you can just sign up to do and they allocate whatever shifts they have? The other problem is I only live in a town so I don't really know how much demand there is in my area

It differs greatly, some days you get them easy and you get a chance to sit down, some days you're on your feet all day and are unable to do OBS and other responsibilities before the night staff come on and so you leave the HCA on the night to do a lot of work which can be pretty bad :biggrin:

I applied through knowing one of the "Heads" on the ward, but I had to go through all the procedure - interview, CRB and so on and so on, and they put me on Bank system. But at the moment I am only doing 1 ward, as I find it hard to juggle it around with college and such, plus they give me quite a few shifts anyway as the HCA whose position I took is on Maternity Leave, so that gives me some job security for a while :biggrin: I am hoping to start doing HCA all over the hospital after the college and exams are over.

My usual week would involve 3-4 shifts, usually 2 being 8-hour weekend shifts, plus the occasional shift during the week. This week I'm in Mon/Tue 4 hours each, Fri 5 hours, Sat/Sun 8 hours, so that's 29 in one week. During half-term, they put me on a set of nights and god they are a killer as I can't sleep during the day so I go on for ~40-48 hours with 2-3 hours max of sleep. Horrible :biggrin: Plus, the ward I work on is quite hard as it's an elderly cancer ward so that brings a few challenges in itself.

Hope I helped, if you got any questions just PM me or w/e.
Sup guys! I'm also a medicine reject so just wanted to pop in and say 'hey'! :biggrin:
So hey! How you doin? :tongue:
Reply 47
I've got one chance left but I'm not very hopeful. I think I'll probably be appling for a phlebotomist job or maybe an operating room assistant. Could be a pretty cool year if I get one.
Original post by Slavivlad
It differs greatly, some days you get them easy and you get a chance to sit down, some days you're on your feet all day and are unable to do OBS and other responsibilities before the night staff come on and so you leave the HCA on the night to do a lot of work which can be pretty bad :biggrin:

I applied through knowing one of the "Heads" on the ward, but I had to go through all the procedure - interview, CRB and so on and so on, and they put me on Bank system. But at the moment I am only doing 1 ward, as I find it hard to juggle it around with college and such, plus they give me quite a few shifts anyway as the HCA whose position I took is on Maternity Leave, so that gives me some job security for a while :biggrin: I am hoping to start doing HCA all over the hospital after the college and exams are over.

My usual week would involve 3-4 shifts, usually 2 being 8-hour weekend shifts, plus the occasional shift during the week. This week I'm in Mon/Tue 4 hours each, Fri 5 hours, Sat/Sun 8 hours, so that's 29 in one week. During half-term, they put me on a set of nights and god they are a killer as I can't sleep during the day so I go on for ~40-48 hours with 2-3 hours max of sleep. Horrible :biggrin: Plus, the ward I work on is quite hard as it's an elderly cancer ward so that brings a few challenges in itself.

Hope I helped, if you got any questions just PM me or w/e.

thanks so much youve really helped! it sounds tough but i think id enjoy ill definitely look into it in my area more
Reply 49
Does anybody know if i'll be able to take an extra As or something next year. I plan on reapplying to barts and since they rank you based on you ucas tarrif i was thinking i'd do something like further maths to boost my score.
Reply 50
after 4 rejections last year....

i managed to get 3 offers this year outta 4 interviews....

NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM!....

Im not academically INSANE.....i just knew what i had to do.....done my research and applied tactically....

Heres my advice:

1) REVISE REVISE REVISE......get those grades!!!!!!......if you dont have the grades your never getting into med school so make suuuuure you do!...after 4 rejections it can be a bit demoralising but i got around it by thinking that i have a point to prove, and need to show all my doubters i can make it!!!

2) organise some work experience early!...start from today lol.....ring people up.....email people...get as much as you can in the summer holidays or even after october (i put down on my PS that i was going to do some in november 2011....and they were ok with that )

the more work experience=more you can talk about....and the more you can put in your Personal statement!.....so get some! (<just had an immature laugh)

3) REVISE FOR THE BMAT/UKCAT....personally i hated the UKCAT.....but preperation did help....i did about 1 month for each....and it paid off....having a high bmat/ukcat can make or break your application.....so definitely put the same emphasis on that as you would your a-levels...

4) make sure you write an epic personal statement and get lots of people to check it.....i would also recommend the TSR personal statement helper BUT.....ask them to look at it when your near the end of finishing (cos they only check it once...) but what i did was make another account and re-submitted it (naughty....i know.....but i was desperate lol)

5) APPLY TACTICALLY!.....do some proper research!!!!....RING ALL THE UNI'S YOUR THINKING OF APPLYING TO!....the admissions people often give hints and clues as to your chances.....and applying tactically is key!...play to your applications strengths.....

6) just in general for your gap year....pick up some hobbys.....i go to the gym now...have a long regular peice of work experience at my local hospital...and work in a shop.....they asked me about it at my imperial interview....

OH YA....and BTW>....PREPARE FOR INTERVIEWS LIKE A B**** LOL....

if you need anymore advice holla
Reply 51
Original post by bssjonny
Does anybody know if i'll be able to take an extra As or something next year. I plan on reapplying to barts and since they rank you based on you ucas tarrif i was thinking i'd do something like further maths to boost my score.

that would be a brilliant idea....im not sure whether they'd accept that....but RING ADMISSIONS up....
Reply 52
Original post by praj1

Your advice was really helpful. You've just motivated me to go do some serious revision. Congratulations on all your offers! Where will you be firming?
Original post by praj1
after 4 rejections last year....

i managed to get 3 offers this year outta 4 interviews....

NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM!....

Im not academically INSANE.....i just knew what i had to do.....done my research and applied tactically....

Heres my advice:

1) REVISE REVISE REVISE......get those grades!!!!!!......if you dont have the grades your never getting into med school so make suuuuure you do!...after 4 rejections it can be a bit demoralising but i got around it by thinking that i have a point to prove, and need to show all my doubters i can make it!!!

2) organise some work experience early!...start from today lol.....ring people up.....email people...get as much as you can in the summer holidays or even after october (i put down on my PS that i was going to do some in november 2011....and they were ok with that )

the more work experience=more you can talk about....and the more you can put in your Personal statement!.....so get some! (<just had an immature laugh)

3) REVISE FOR THE BMAT/UKCAT....personally i hated the UKCAT.....but preperation did help....i did about 1 month for each....and it paid off....having a high bmat/ukcat can make or break your application.....so definitely put the same emphasis on that as you would your a-levels...

4) make sure you write an epic personal statement and get lots of people to check it.....i would also recommend the TSR personal statement helper BUT.....ask them to look at it when your near the end of finishing (cos they only check it once...) but what i did was make another account and re-submitted it (naughty....i know.....but i was desperate lol)

5) APPLY TACTICALLY!.....do some proper research!!!!....RING ALL THE UNI'S YOUR THINKING OF APPLYING TO!....the admissions people often give hints and clues as to your chances.....and applying tactically is key!...play to your applications strengths.....

6) just in general for your gap year....pick up some hobbys.....i go to the gym now...have a long regular peice of work experience at my local hospital...and work in a shop.....they asked me about it at my imperial interview....

OH YA....and BTW>....PREPARE FOR INTERVIEWS LIKE A B**** LOL....

if you need anymore advice holla

Mind if I ask what uni's u applied to the first time and how you prepared for your bmat and ukcat? :biggrin: :tongue:
Reply 54
Original post by Dr.Acula
Your advice was really helpful. You've just motivated me to go do some serious revision. Congratulations on all your offers! Where will you be firming?

Firming imperial.....always wanted to go there....been my dream for 3 years....even last year i was contemplating re-applying even if i got an offer from elsewhere and not imperial

Original post by handsome7654
Mind if I ask what uni's u applied to the first time and how you prepared for your bmat and ukcat? :biggrin: :tongue:

applied to

imperial
kings
barts
georges

only had an interview from georges

ukcat was 590

bmat was 5.8 3.8 3B

did no revision for ukcat and barely any for bmat

i got the ics book for Both and they really helped!....i also recommend posting bmat essays on the bmat thread on tsr that will be launched soon i guess.....andlook around on the internet and do similar questions....

but seirously....you CAN revise for them....

i know a gap year is dawnting but i seriously recommend it!.....ithink ive grown as a MAN rather than academically this few months but im so glad i have!....im gonna value that offer more than ever and ive managed to take time out for myself....earn money....and do some driving lessons and hopefully pass in a few months....

just organize it early!....and time will fly by!
Original post by praj1
Firming imperial.....always wanted to go there....been my dream for 3 years....even last year i was contemplating re-applying even if i got an offer from elsewhere and not imperial

applied to

imperial
kings
barts
georges

only had an interview from georges

ukcat was 590

bmat was 5.8 3.8 3B

did no revision for ukcat and barely any for bmat

i got the ics book for Both and they really helped!....i also recommend posting bmat essays on the bmat thread on tsr that will be launched soon i guess.....andlook around on the internet and do similar questions....

but seirously....you CAN revise for them....

i know a gap year is dawnting but i seriously recommend it!.....ithink ive grown as a MAN rather than academically this few months but im so glad i have!....im gonna value that offer more than ever and ive managed to take time out for myself....earn money....and do some driving lessons and hopefully pass in a few months....

just organize it early!....and time will fly by!

Just a couple of quick questions: did you rewrite your whole personal statement or just make a few minor adjustments, and did you mention that you took a gap year in your ps. Also did your UKCAT score improve?
Ill be reapplying for next year by the looks of things...
Reply 57
Original post by adam_johnson
Just a couple of quick questions: did you rewrite your whole personal statement or just make a few minor adjustments, and did you mention that you took a gap year in your ps. Also did your UKCAT score improve?

re did my whole personal statement from scratch.....best way to do it...fresh start....im a different person from last year....

and yeh i did mention my gap year plans in my PS BUT BE CAREFUL!!!!....dont say lies....or stuff unless YOUR SUUUUUREEEE your going to do it...you'll dig yourself a hole....

and yeh my new ukcat was 627.5
Reply 58
Looks like I'm a re-applicant.

Plan :

-Nail A-Levels A*AAab
-Sort some volunteering work out and some work experience.
-Get some sort of job in a medical field.
-Attempt to get some experience in a research field.

If anybody has some advice on how to gain some experience/volunteer in research, it would be much appreciated.
Reply 59
HI I'm now a worthy member of this thread haha!

I've got a Biomed offer which is AAA, and I've found out you can apply for medicine in your first year of your degree (but only to a select 10 unis).

What is people's advice/recommendendation:
* reapplying having done a gap year (with its benefits but potentially not getting anywhere and kinda messing up a year)
or
* reapplying having done first year of biomed (ofc learning about medically related stuff, getting the uni experience, but expensive and hard work BUT if I didnt get any places, I could carry on and get the degree and then apply as a graduate)

Thanks!

Quick Reply