The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr.Acula
I got 752.5. :colondollar: You'll have a good chance at Newcastle and Manchester with your UKCAT. Manchester do require some long term voluntary work though. I wanted to apply to Soton purely because of the no interview thing since I let myself down at my Manc interview last year. Interviews are my weakness. :/ Best of luck with wherever you decide to apply! Need to really concentrate on my PS now.

I have nothing to add, I just wanted to say well done on that amazing UKCAT score!
I would've said earlier but I needed to pick my jaw up off the floor :wink:
Reply 981
Original post by sablarrr
I'd say that it's pretty similar to the real thing except the VR and DA being easier on medify.

Congrats!! I feel you man, I hate interviews too. I'm hoping that my personal statement will be awesome enough to bag an offer from soton, but still undecided. Manc's a possibility - I've got varied voluntary work but none longer for 6 months, really hope that's enough. I want to try liverpool again :awesome:, just hope they accept re applications to their med school after post interview rejections.

Is it worth practicing the VR and DA?? How easy are they on a scale of 1-10 ... i knw i sound silly but last year used UPO vr and da were EXREMLEY easy compared to the real thing. Did you think medify helped u at all?? what were your scores like ??
Reply 982
Original post by lilmissA
Is it worth practicing the VR and DA?? How easy are they on a scale of 1-10 ... i knw i sound silly but last year used UPO vr and da were EXREMLEY easy compared to the real thing. Did you think medify helped u at all?? what were your scores like ??

I'd practice VR by doing stuff like 600 questions/medify - it doesn't matter as long as you learn the simple things they can ask you like percentages/geometric calculations and practice some mental arithmetic as well as using their calculators! The time is pretty though so relying on mental arithmetic is sometimes better. I'd say VR was around 2-3 on difficulty scale, just the time is the deciding factor.

For DA you have so much time that you don't need too much practice - just getting used to using the codes and seeing how they 'best fit' the correct answer to the code. I'd say it was around 5 on the difficulty.

The UKCAT official practice is useless for VR - they're so much more difficult and time consuming than the real thing so don't do it, but for DA it's pretty good just to get used to the format.

Use the whiteboard they give you! Especially for DA, you don't really have time to write stuff down for VR. Good luck!!
Reply 983
Has anyone else had that moment when you're really happy with your PS, you show someone and they completely rip to to shreds. :eek:
Original post by Kingbradley6
With your A levels, GCSEs and UKCAT I would think you are pretty likely to be interviewed at both KCL and Dundee. In fact I would say grades and UKCAT are enough to get you an interview almost anywhere. However where did you go wrong last year and are you confident that you would be okay at interview? All those universities use the 'clean slate' approach after interview except for St Andrews where all offers are based on interview performance. Just my two cents that you might want to change one to a university that doesn't adopt this approach such as HYMS. Unless you really don't like the university of course, with your application provided you don't do utterly terrible at interview you might be more likely to get a place.

Thanks for the advice (:
Last year, I actually only had one interview as I didn't apply smart. Oh, the joys of hindsight..

The only interview I did have was actually at St. Andrews and in the end my lower-than-desirable UKCAT and only predicted A-Level grades came back to bite me in the backside.

I didn't know KCL adopts the "clean slate" approach, but knew that Dundee does. I can't decide if I think MMI sounds like hell or quite good fun..

Any idea of any unis with the same teaching styles as the above unis but don't adopt the clean slate approach?
Original post by Pixie-x
Has anyone else had that moment when you're really happy with your PS, you show someone and they completely rip to to shreds. :eek:

Oh yeah, I gave it to TSR oh-so-cocky, that it was a pretty good one, and the reader would be impressed if a little long - they slaughtered it :sigh:

But as I said, I re-did it, and OMG it's sosososososo much better! I'm far far happier to hand it in now, and am disgusted looking back at what I gave in!

They're a kind of God.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Ahh! Stuck over where to apply :/

Went to Dundee's open day yesterday and loved it, but their selection for interview is apparently 60% academic, 40% UKCAT. My academics are good but I'm not sure they're *that* good :/
Same for KCL. No idea what they class as a good UKCAT so not sure I should apply.
Nottingham and Leicester are also on my list but I've not yet visited either - their open days are soon though.

The only dead cert is St. Andrews.

Anyone have any tips on where to apply out of those I've listed? I have the following..

GCSEs - 7A*, 3A
A-Level - A*A*A
UKCAT - 715. (VR - 700. QR - 770. AR - 680. DA - 710.)

Other stuff:
- Helper a brownies (1 yr, ongoing).
- Maths mentor to Yr9 pupils (2 yrs).
- Lead student to disruptive Yr10s (2yrs).
- First Aider with St. John Ambulance (2yrs, ongoing).
- 2 weeks work exp.
- Trying to get a job as a care assistant. I hope I've just bagged one, they said they'll contact my references.
- I'm the "Fundraising & Finances Director" for a project at my old school. Aiming to raise £10,000 for a Kenyan orphanage. I'll go over, help out for a few months, then come back and give a presentation to the Rotary Club who will possibly then set up a permanent fundraising thing for them.
- Other interests include photography (particularly urbex but maybe shouldn't mention that), travelling, football and cycling.

So yeah. Any tips? Really want to maximise my chances this year.

You're in a similar position as me, with grades and UKCAT, and part of your gap year :smile:. With that UKCAT you'd definitely be offered an interview at Newcastle and Manchester, if you're considering those. Also as someone mentioned above, KCL you're quite likely too.

All those universities use the 'clean slate' approach after interview except for St Andrews where all offers are based on interview performance.

I saw this posted under a reply that was posted, can anyone explain what is meant by the 'clean slate' approach after interview? :biggrin:
Reply 987
Original post by Nandos94
I saw this posted under a reply that was posted, can anyone explain what is meant by the 'clean slate' approach after interview? :biggrin:

The 'clean slate' refers to when the only deciding factor for your admission post-interview is your interview performance. All other factors, such as scores given for your PS, reference, academics and UKCAT/BMAT score become irrelevant.
Reply 988
Original post by _lynx_
The 'clean slate' refers to when the only deciding factor for your admission post-interview is your interview performance. All other factors, such as scores given for your PS, reference, academics and UKCAT/BMAT score become irrelevant.

So do you/does anyone know which unis don't use the 'clean slate' approach?
You're in a similar position as me, with grades and UKCAT, and part of your gap year :smile:. With that UKCAT you'd definitely be offered an interview at Newcastle and Manchester, if you're considering those. Also as someone mentioned above, KCL you're quite likely too.

Newcastle? Do you think so?
I was considering there last year but decided not to as my UKCAT was 665. I think that ended up being below their cut-off.

I've heard that they pretty much just interview the top 50%, ranked by UKCAT alone - do you (or anybody else!) know if that's correct, or how they end up scoring you after interview?

My choices may well be St Andrews, Dundee, Leicester and Newcastle. Reckon that's playing it safe enough? Still tempted to swap Leicester for KCL, but the cost of living in London is slightly off-putting..
Thanks for the advice (: ...

No problem although I'm not too sure that many that don't use clean slate.

Sorry my grammar was slightly bad. As someone above says it means that once at interview offers are given solely on the basis of your interview. If you have 5 A*s at A level they don't consider them at that stage. My grammar suggested St Andrews used this but they do not.

Original post by Idonteven
So do you/does anyone know which unis don't use the 'clean slate' approach?

The only ones I know of are HYMS, St Andrews and Cambridge (thus why I applied to all three of them lol). There may be more I cannot remember.
I read an article on TSR saying Plymouth and Exeter invites applicants with minimum GCE grades regardless of ukcat score....is this true?
I'm gonna call them up on Monday :smile:
Original post by _lynx_

Sorry my grammar was slightly bad. As someone above says it means that once at interview offers are given solely on the basis of your interview. If you have 5 A*s at A level they don't consider them at that stage. My grammar suggested St Andrews used this but they do not.

Thanks you two, that's really helpful. I was just confused. Would you say applying to a uni that doesn't use a 'clean slate' approach would be better if you thought your interviewing may not be the best?

Newcastle? Do you think so?
I was considering there last year but decided not to as my UKCAT was 665. I think that ended up being below their cut-off.

I've heard that they pretty much just interview the top 50%, ranked by UKCAT alone - do you (or anybody else!) know if that's correct, or how they end up scoring you after interview?

My choices may well be St Andrews, Dundee, Leicester and Newcastle. Reckon that's playing it safe enough? Still tempted to swap Leicester for KCL, but the cost of living in London is slightly off-putting.

Yeah I do :biggrin: I mean I got 662.5 last year and that was below the cut-off, I think you would've just made it, but as a safe bet I think they interviewed you if you got a UKCAT over 670. As for this year, you have 715, hence I'm thinking you should be pretty safe in getting an interview, unless everyone has got 720+, which I'm doubting because you already having your A2 Grades does put you in a safer position (Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I'm thinking of doing exactly that, applying to newcastle this year round as I have 715.
Having lived in London all my life, I will say KCL is going to be expensive, London is a very expensive place to live. Although at the moment the only uni I'm a dead cert for is Manchester and to a lesser extent Newcastle, anyone offer some pearls of wisdom as to where I could apply too?
Hello everyone, although I am not a medicine re-applicant, I am a re-applicant. I wanted some help regarding UCAS. Firstly do you need to enter all your details again? What happens to your old account and do you need to delete it or something? Do unis know if you're a re-applicant if you applied to them the previous year? Thanks guys in advance and best of luck! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ameelia22
Oh yeah, I gave it to TSR oh-so-cocky, that it was a pretty good one, and the reader would be impressed if a little long - they slaughtered it :sigh:

But as I said, I re-did it, and OMG it's sosososososo much better! I'm far far happier to hand it in now, and am disgusted looking back at what I gave in!

They're a kind of God.

I'm so telling your reviewer that you said that, it'll be a nice ego boost for them :tongue:
Reply 995
Hello Everyone
Just like some advice please...
I have the following academic and non academic qualities
GCSE's: 7 A*s and 5 As
IB: 39 points achieved
UKCAT: 732.5
Work Experience - 2 weeks at an orthopeadic unit, 2 weeks in a GP practice. In my gap year I will be doing 3 ish weeks in Germany observing consultant cardiologists and general practicioners. In the summer I will be in Sri Lanka for 2 months working at an orphanage and school teaching English.

I was thinking of applying to Newcastle, Barts, HYMS and perhaps Durham....

I REALLY DONT WANT TO HAVE TO APPLY AGAIN NEXT YEAR. What do you guys think of my choices?
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I'm so telling your reviewer that you said that, it'll be a nice ego boost for them :tongue:

lmao feel free - i showed his review to my Mom, and she was like, "worth every penny!" and I was like, "erm, we didn't pay him..." - face = priceless.
If anyone here has already done their UKCAT and has some remaining questions on Medify that they wouldn't mind letting me use, I'd be so, so grateful! As a resitter I only decided to reapply recently and feel so underprepared now :/
Original post by joker12345
If anyone here has already done their UKCAT and has some remaining questions on Medify that they wouldn't mind letting me use, I'd be so, so grateful! As a resitter I only decided to reapply recently and feel so underprepared now :/

You can ahve mine, i lent it to someone else but they have done their UKCAT now, you cannot do any new questions just look over old ones that have been done but could be useful if you want it? message me if you do
Reply 999
hi guys :smile:

was wondering, does it make a difference what kind of job you're doing as a gapper? I've heard so many people out there are working as hca's in hospitals, which is amazing! I'm working in a pharmacy atm, so while it's somewhat related to medicine, it is not as related as working in a hospital...

hopefully there's no disadvantage of not having a 'care' related type job such as a hca or care assistant....?

good luck for this year guys! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending