The Student Room Group

Opinions on choices?

Hey guys, long time lurker but facing a bit of a decision and thought I would ask you lovely guys for some advice! Anyway, currently I am studying for my HND in computer games development. My main area of interest is programming, and I think that, when I started studying if the college I had, had a programming only course I would have went for it.

For university choice I applied to UWS for computer games technology. To fill up my choices I also applied to Glasgow Uni for Software Engineering, assuming I would be rejected. For UWS I got a conditional 2nd year entry, based on HND, and for Glasgow, I also got a conditional 2nd year entry, based on an A in HND and a B in higher maths, which I'm also sitting.

Main problem is, I don't know where to go! I've been studying games now for three years nearly, and assumed I would go into games, but I've always been worried about narrowing job prospects with games. Now Glasgow has given me an offer, I'm tempted, but unsure. No one I know studies there (I know this shouldn't be a factor but it kind of is), its further away from where I live, but still commutable.

Aaargh I could go on and on, anyway, it would be good to get some perspective from someone who isnt friends with me/related in any way.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Glasgow, no contest.
Reply 2
Danny, is that because its games vs software engineering, or UWS vs Glasgow? I am leaning towards Glasgow, as I said, didnt even expect to get an offer...but its a hard one for me!
Reply 3
Original post by MissMclaren
Danny, is that because its games vs software engineering, or UWS vs Glasgow? I am leaning towards Glasgow, as I said, didnt even expect to get an offer...but its a hard one for me!

Generally Glasgow is a better University, assuming that it's comparable or better for your course then go for Glasgow. The course thing is probably more important than the overall reputation for University; for example Stirling is pretty good for most things but is probably the best for Sports Science.

It's also a good thing to think about employability at the end of the course, games design is obviously a lot narrower than software engineering. However, if UWS is extremely well regarded for this particular course and you can handle the fact that you'll not have such broad employability there's no reason not to go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest