The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

UAL Accomodation 2012

Thought I might as well start up the thread seeing as questions are popping up a lot now.... can any current UAL students give any advice on what the halls are really like/which are the best?

I've got an offer from LCF (Holborn Campus)
And I'm thinking so far:
1. Don Gratton... for definite

2. Manna Ash
3. Will Wyatt
..... but I'm not so sure about these/the order

What's everyone else thinking?

xxxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going to apply for
1. Costume Store
2. Manna Ash
3. Don Gratton

I obviously don't know what Costume Store looks like, but it's new (ergo, clean rooms that no-one has slept in before you) and the video makes it look really tempting. :smile:
Manna Ash and Don Gratton just look very trusting and they're in the City Centre too.

I really don't like the others.... in one of the houses the 360 view of the en suite really put me off. the shower was a about a foot away from the toilet... lol!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
I would go for Costume Store, but, it's just so far out!
Whitechapel i.e. Don Gratton is such a good area for like culture and nightlife, and I think the bonus about Manna Ash is it's a little safer, and a central location, so although it only has like the basic amenities around, you're not that far from clubs etc I reckon...
Reply 3
Im thinking

1. Manna Ash
2. Don Gratton

haven't really got a third its quite hard as i will be studying in Wimbledon
Reply 4
Hey !!! Ive got an offer from CSM Foundation at Back hill, Clerkenwell.....and im looking at the exact same options, cant figure out the order, but from what ive heard ive put Will Wyatt at the bottom of the list (Ive heard mice rumours and all) ! I hear both MAH and DGH are very well located and the rooms are of good quality, and both are close to my campus, so i cant choose between the two, although DGH has a gym near by and is very close to Brick Lane, which is quite happening, any insights ?
Reply 5
Have you had a look at our new 360° virtual tour for UAL halls? http://www.arts.ac.uk/housing/halls/find-hall/ It's a great way to help you make the right decisions. Alternatively there are also Open Days coming up if you're in/around London to come check them out in person. hall.jpg
Reply 6
im going either lcf or chelsea...if they give me an offer :/
anyone know why some places only offer a 51 week contraact...which is ridiculous..way to long!
Reply 7
Oh those virtual tours are really handy!

Right, DG then MA definite... but not a clue what to put as my third now, don't think I want Will Wyatt anymore, anyone looked into Opal 4/ kow much about the area?
Reply 8
costume store is over 8 grand.....it's silly paying 51 weeks...when uni usaully finishes in may....so it's like an extra grand for time that you'll probably go home for

and althouh it's 1 stop from lime grove...the cost of travel will still be 80 quid a month because u still need a regular travel card
which is a shame...because it looked so nice :s

im thinking will whyatt,manna ash and don gratton..no particular order atm :s
hey, i'm going onto the foundation course at camberwell but really don't like brooke hall, so i'm applying to the two other halls in camberwell (bernard myers and the new one), but i'm not sure what be best to have as my third choice?
it seems like manna ash would be a good option, but it seems really popular, so if i am in a situation where i don't get into my top 2 choices, i don't want to risk not getting the third! so i was thinking of will wyatt as i love old street, always go there to see bands and such, but i'm not sure if it'd be too far from the camberwell campus and it'd be hard to do things out of class with my coursemates, thoughts/advice?
Original post by beccafairy
hey, i'm going onto the foundation course at camberwell but really don't like brooke hall, so i'm applying to the two other halls in camberwell (bernard myers and the new one), but i'm not sure what be best to have as my third choice?
it seems like manna ash would be a good option, but it seems really popular, so if i am in a situation where i don't get into my top 2 choices, i don't want to risk not getting the third! so i was thinking of will wyatt as i love old street, always go there to see bands and such, but i'm not sure if it'd be too far from the camberwell campus and it'd be hard to do things out of class with my coursemates, thoughts/advice?

Am I mistaken in thinking there are only certain halls that HE students (foundation) can apply for?
Original post by LucyEliClay
Am I mistaken in thinking there are only certain halls that HE students (foundation) can apply for?

i haven't heard about anything like that, i wouldn't think so as they'd still get the money from us haha! but i'm pretty sure that foundation students and first years are prioritised when it comes to accommodation, so it should be fine.
Reply 12

The old street campus is really far, you will need to take the tube and a bus to get to Camberwell; around 45min-1 hour journey, it can be longer if travelling through rush hour, also your travel fare will be very expensive. You will also need to consider your safety during the night, especially in some of the campus areas.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by g.yau
The old street campus is really far, you will need to take the tube and a bus to get to Camberwell; around 45min-1 hour journey, it can be longer if travelling through rush hour, also your travel fare will be very expensive. You will also need to consider your safety during the night, especially in some of the campus areas.

very true, thanks for the advice! was leaning more to manna ash anyway. :smile:

i'm kinda confused at this, trying to compare the prices of my halls of choice but manna ash isn't on here? http://www.arts.ac.uk/media/housingservices/documents/Halls%20prices%202012-13.pdf
Reply 14

i'm kinda confused at this, trying to compare the prices of my halls of choice but manna ash isn't on here? http://www.arts.ac.uk/media/housingservices/documents/Halls%20prices%202012-13.pdf

I think you might want to contact UAL on that. I'm not living in halls, so there's not much I can help you.
Reply 15

Just saw that too! Not useful, really like the look of Manna Ash as well
Reply 16
I'm a first year living in Manna Ash House atm, so feel free to ask me any questions :smile:

generally I like Manna Ash as a building, my room & the kitchens are fine.
the staff are very strict with the 1 guest rule, the number of times I've failed at smuggling loads of friends in for a party is endless! When you apply to live here they say you can have 3 guests but once you've moved in you'll discover that they'll never let more than 1 person past reception. Because Manna Ash is pretty small they get to know everyones face and always know when you're bringing someone in.

Another point with the staff is that at 11pm they always stop your parties, whether it's a weekday or weekend, can get pretty annoying, especially in the first couple of weeks when you're getting to know everyone! The party was over by 11 on our first freaking night!

The location is great though, especially if you're at LCC :smile:
Original post by Rossical
I'm a first year living in Manna Ash House atm, so feel free to ask me any questions :smile:

the staff are very strict with the 1 guest rule, the number of times I've failed at smuggling loads of friends in for a party is endless! When you apply to live here they say you can have 3 guests but once you've moved in you'll discover that they'll never let more than 1 person past reception. Because Manna Ash is pretty small they get to know everyones face and always know when you're bringing someone in.

Another point with the staff is that at 11pm they always stop your parties, whether it's a weekday or weekend, can get pretty annoying, especially in the first couple of weeks when you're getting to know everyone! The party was over by 11 on our first freaking night!

ooh, thanks for giving us some info! i'm pretty sure i'll put manna ash down as my third choice, do you know how likely it is that you'll get into your first choice of halls?

Original post by mollymoo
Just saw that too! Not useful, really like the look of Manna Ash as well

yeah, it's really annoying! either way, they'll have to have put up the prices before we can apply which'll be really soon anyway.

edit: just found this! it has all of the information in loads of detail. http://www.arts.ac.uk/media/housingservices/documents/accommodation_guide_2012-2013-ual1.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18

Hey guys, I just had a look at the PDF, thanks for bringing it to our attention that it is still not updated yet. With Manna Ash there was a lot of talk of reviewing the prices, hence the delay in posting it. These will be up soon! In the meantime I'd highly advise looking at our new Accommodation Guide, available in PDF format thanks to our Housing Services: http://www.arts.ac.uk/media/housingservices/documents/accommodation_guide_2012-2013-ual1.pdf

Also since you're all prospective students looking at joining us for a good three years if not more, it's handy to keep us bookmarked by liking on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/UAL-PACE-Project/152110641577019 or following at Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ual_pace The UAL Pace Project is like a sounding board for students and staff to let us know where to make improvements in key services providing by the uni, like in this case the Housing side of things.

Hope this helps!
Reply 19
Original post by Rossical

It's really helpful that you're able to give first-hand advise on your experience at our halls, so thanks! I just had a thought if you might be interested in getting a £10 Arcadia Group voucher (i.e. Top Shop etc) by showing your room at the Open Day coming up, or alternatively if any of your hall mates are interested. Check the details out here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=167106056744144&set=a.163323897122360.33509.152110641577019&type=1&ref=nf

p.s. let me know if the link doesn't work, Facebook can be a bit funny linking images :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending