The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Bristol offer 700+ places combined for all their econ related degrees.

where did you get this figure? i just checked the website and its actually 90 places with 750 applicants. therefore one applicant for every 8.5 places.

i am fairly certain everyone except 50 people don't get an offer for bristol economcis...

ok got negged, anyone want to explain it to me or are they just a pussy who negs people for fun?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by amg_22
where did you get this figure? i just checked the website and its actually 90 places with 750 applicants. therefore one applicant for every 8.5 places.

i am fairly certain everyone except 50 people don't get an offer for bristol economcis...

Sorry I meant applicants :colondollar:
Reply 582
Sorry I meant applicants :colondollar:

oh, fair enough haha
Original post by aalex
I think there's no difference between them.

Why the neg?

Thanks for the advice :biggrin: by the way I didn't neg you.. Posotive repping you for your help
Reply 584
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
Thanks for the advice :biggrin: by the way I didn't neg you.. Posotive repping you for your help

Haha I wasn't asking you that. Not that I care about it, I was just curious.
Reply 585
Original post by amg_22

They give out WAY more than 50 offers. Do remember that a lot of people who end up at one of the top 5 unis will have Bristol as a backup. I would say they give out at least 250 offers for pure economics.

Bristol is a strange one and can never be relied upon as a safe insurance, as they have a reputation of declining people who are too good, whereas Bath seem to have a better strategy in place for giving an offer to most good candidates.
Reply 586
Out of Bath and Bristol which one is least competitive? I've decided I'm definitely going to apply for Oxford EM, LSE ME, and UCL ES.

That's a fairly risky strategy. Don't you think a combined Economics and Management course at Warwick might be better than UCL (ES)? Or even one of the more broad options at UCL might be better otherwise you will need a chunk of statistics in your personal statement.
Original post by Tateco
That's a fairly risky strategy. Don't you think a combined Economics and Management course at Warwick might be better than UCL (ES)? Or even one of the more broad options at UCL might be better otherwise you will need a chunk of statistics in your personal statement.

I may or may not mention statistics in my PS. Most of my maths in my PS will be more about it's applications in economics and that is what I'm researching around right now so I can talk about it in my PS. For most 50/50 degrees I don't think it matters too much if you focus on one thing. Since economics is the common factor (I can't think of a better way of putting it!) I've decided I'm going to talk about 55% econ and 45% about it's mathematical applications. Obviously this isn't set in stone depending on the advice people give lol.

So you think econ+stats is risky? I thought it wouldn't be THAT competitive as they only ask for AAA.
Reply 588
I may or may not mention statistics in my PS. Most of my maths in my PS will be more about it's applications in economics and that is what I'm researching around right now so I can talk about it in my PS. For most 50/50 degrees I don't think it matters too much if you focus on one thing. Since economics is the common factor (I can't think of a better way of putting it!) I've decided I'm going to talk about 55% econ and 45% about it's mathematical applications. Obviously this isn't set in stone depending on the advice people give lol.

So you think econ+stats is risky? I thought it wouldn't be THAT competitive as they only ask for AAA.

I think you will be okay then. LSE will be very picky with the PS because they are used to people applying to their less well known courses to try and get in there. On the other hand Oxford don't expect any management as their course is quite unusual.

I think I might have misunderstood your abbreviations... Will you be applying to a Maths related subject at LSE? If so your idea sounds about right, but you need to make sure you give LSE enough Maths without alienating your other universities.
Original post by Tateco
I think you will be okay then. LSE will be very picky with the PS because they are used to people applying to their less well known courses to try and get in there. On the other hand Oxford don't expect any management as their course is quite unusual.

I think I might have misunderstood your abbreviations... Will you be applying to a Maths related subject at LSE? If so your idea sounds about right, but you need to make sure you give LSE enough Maths without alienating your other universities.

Applying for maths and econ at LSE. I was speaking to an offer holder who got in for pure econ at Camb and maths and econ at LSE and he said he didn't mention pure maths at all in his PS.

Tbh I've realised I don't want to do pure econ at any uni. I don't think I'll be able to do the same subject for 3 years in a row.

EDIT: Warwick don't have a econ + management course. Besides, I don't want to risk it with the GCSE thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 590
Original post by Tateco
They give out WAY more than 50 offers. Do remember that a lot of people who end up at one of the top 5 unis will have Bristol as a backup. I would say they give out at least 250 offers for pure economics.

Bristol is a strange one and can never be relied upon as a safe insurance, as they have a reputation of declining people who are too good, whereas Bath seem to have a better strategy in place for giving an offer to most good candidates.

i wasn't claiming they only give give out 50 offers. some guy mistakenly said they give out 700 offers when there 750 places - i think you misread my post

but yeah 250 seems like a realistic number
Original post by aalex
Haha I wasn't asking you that. Not that I care about it, I was just curious.

Sorry was just trying to make sure u didn't think that:colondollar:... Probably an Exeter or York economics graduate lol:wink:
On the UCAS application, after entering each AS grade there is an option for entering additional unit/module information, does anyone know of any unis that actually require for this to be entered?
Reply 593
On the UCAS application, after entering each AS grade there is an option for entering additional unit/module information, does anyone know of any unis that actually require for this to be entered?

None require it in the form. If they want it they will ask for it separately, however, if you think they add to your application then it is worth putting them in :smile:
Original post by Tateco
None require it in the form. If they want it they will ask for it separately, however, if you think they add to your application then it is worth putting them in :smile:

Thanks... but won't not mentioning the unit grades put me at a disadvantage?

Out of 10 modules I got 8As and 2Bs (D1 and physics prac :colondollar:).
Reply 595
Thanks... but won't not mentioning the unit grades put me at a disadvantage?

Out of 10 modules I got 8As and 2Bs (D1 and physics prac :colondollar:).

Won't disadvantage you at all. They can't rank you on information they don't ask for and you don't provide. You'll have to weigh up whether or not it is worth it, I wouldn't do it unless it was above what is expected.

One thing I would also say is that you definitely shouldn't pick and choose which modules you write in, it's either all of them or none.
Original post by Tateco
Won't disadvantage you at all. They can't rank you on information they don't ask for and you don't provide. You'll have to weigh up whether or not it is worth it, I wouldn't do it unless it was above what is expected.

One thing I would also say is that you definitely shouldn't pick and choose which modules you write in, it's either all of them or none.

Yeah I'm not going to bother putting them in... even if the Bs were in useless subjects they are still Bs nonetheless.

So how do they get to know about your UMS? Do you provide them in a separate form?
Reply 597
if you enter your ums is it just the ums which comes up (eg: maths 288/300) or will the uni see each unit grade (eg: maths c1-100 c2-98 m1-90)?
Yeah I'm not going to bother putting them in... even if the Bs were in useless subjects they are still Bs nonetheless.

So how do they get to know about your UMS? Do you provide them in a separate form?

Yes. At least LSE, UCL and Cambridge do.
Reply 599
Chances of getting into a uni what has requirements of AAB with grades of A in maths, B in chemistry and business studies ans a D in as physics. I'm thinking of university's like Sheffield and cardiff... average unis.
Also should i do economics a level in a year??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending