The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2013

Scroll to see replies

Nash equilibria? Really? I thiught you need a proper grasp of game theory to understand. Personally I'm going to stay away from the really advanced stuff.
Reply 781
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Nash equilibria? Really? I thiught you need a proper grasp of game theory to understand. Personally I'm going to stay away from the really advanced stuff.

Original post by ryanboi
Yeh that should be enough and try and relate it to the real world so is not just plain theory but more practical knowledge. Game theory really show off maths in Economics so maybe try and include that. E.g. Iterative deletion is being taught in Core 3 and is used in game theory.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do with Game Theory, I have a good market example I've used. Ooh, sounds good, I'll look it up (there are so many uses, it's almost endless, such is the wonder of maths in economics).

Nash equilibria can be daunting at first (I agree that Game Theory is still daunting), but it's a simple enough concept. However, when you have MIXED strategy games, then you may as well throw the book out of the window it starts getting hard. D2 on Edexcel covers a lot of Game Theory, from a mathematical point of view it's been really useful!
:smile:

[INDENT]Hey, I am now applying for Economics at Caius College.
I have already achieved A* in A level maths and now I am studying further maths, A2 Economics, A2 Physics and A2 Chemistry. Caius college requires for A*AA and I have already got A* in maths, so I only need to get 2 As in the other subjects?

What did you contional offer ask for? Did they say something like achieving A in further maths?

Thank you![/INDENT]

Reply 783

Nash equilibrium is a simple concept in game theory. In A2, it confuses people but if you go to the link I sent you and watch videos under Nash Equilibrium, you will find that it is quite easy to understand and the videos teaches you stuff above A-level Nash Equilibrium.
Reply 784
Original post by JOR2010
Yes, that's what I'm trying to do with Game Theory, I have a good market example I've used. Ooh, sounds good, I'll look it up (there are so many uses, it's almost endless, such is the wonder of maths in economics).

Nash equilibria can be daunting at first (I agree that Game Theory is still daunting), but it's a simple enough concept. However, when you have MIXED strategy games, then you may as well throw the book out of the window it starts getting hard. D2 on Edexcel covers a lot of Game Theory, from a mathematical point of view it's been really useful!

Yeah I know! This is what I love about Economics. Using maths to explain and solve the economic problems. Game Theory is almost like a psychological way express in maths :smile: Have you done D2? I am doing D2 next year and I have looked at the game theory in it. Game theory in D2 only goes a bit further than prisoners dilemma. I think majority stuff in D2 is covered in Video 1 and 2.
Original post by ryanboi
Nash equilibrium is a simple concept in game theory. In A2, it confuses people but if you go to the link I sent you and watch videos under Nash Equilibrium, you will find that it is quite easy to understand and the videos teaches you stuff above A-level Nash Equilibrium.

Isn't the maths behind it meant to be complicated?

I've been following that course too, the lecturer is very good an pouts it in simple simple terms (I think some of te take students asking the class haven't done maths since 'high school' so he has to cater to all of them)
Reply 787

No not at all lol. Your maths skills are probably better than mine so if I can understand it, you can :smile:
Reply 788
Original post by snkangaroo

I have already achieved A* in A level maths and now I am studying further maths, A2 Economics, A2 Physics and A2 Chemistry. Caius college requires for A*AA and I have already got A* in maths, so I only need to get 2 As in the other subjects?

What did you contional offer ask for? Did they say something like achieving A in further maths?

Thank you![/INDENT]

why don't you wait until you get the offer? don't think it will have any impact on your application until then :no:
Reply 789
Original post by ryanboi
Yeah I know! This is what I love about Economics. Using maths to explain and solve the economic problems. Game Theory is almost like a psychological way express in maths :smile: Have you done D2? I am doing D2 next year and I have looked at the game theory in it. Game theory in D2 only goes a bit further than prisoners dilemma. I think majority stuff in D2 is covered in Video 1 and 2.

Exactly, that's why I love it! Game Theory is so diverse, you have pure and mixed strategies, and then play-safes, reductions, all sorts really! It's quite good in modelling an duopolistic market, having one firm against the other. I haven't done D2, I might do it this year, I have the D2 textbook, but the game theory chapter fascinated me so I researched it and decided it would be good to talk about, as long as I can show some skill. D2 doesn't go very deep, it sticks to the mathematical side, doesn't mention Nash equilibria in my textbook so there we go!

The maths does begin to get complicated after a while, when you have to assign probabilities to actions, I was reading 'Game Theory and Public Policy' and it's mindblowingly in-depth, but some of it is very difficult to understand!
Reply 790
Original post by JOR2010
Exactly, that's why I love it! Game Theory is so diverse, you have pure and mixed strategies, and then play-safes, reductions, all sorts really! It's quite good in modelling an duopolistic market, having one firm against the other. I haven't done D2, I might do it this year, I have the D2 textbook, but the game theory chapter fascinated me so I researched it and decided it would be good to talk about, as long as I can show some skill. D2 doesn't go very deep, it sticks to the mathematical side, doesn't mention Nash equilibria in my textbook so there we go!

The maths does begin to get complicated after a while, when you have to assign probabilities to actions, I was reading 'Game Theory and Public Policy' and it's mindblowingly in-depth, but some of it is very difficult to understand!

Oo interesting! Btw, what textbook you using for D2? My teacher only print out lots of sheet for different topic. I am doing AQA. Thanks :smile:
Reply 791
Original post by ryanboi
Oo interesting! Btw, what textbook you using for D2? My teacher only print out lots of sheet for different topic. I am doing AQA. Thanks :smile:

Yeah, it's the official Edexcel one, you can find it online if you know where to look!
Reply 792
Original post by snkangaroo

Thank you![/INDENT]

Your best bet would be to e-mail them to be sure, they won't mind!

But getting the offer is often a lot more difficult than meeting it :biggrin:
I understand most of you will be talking about macroeconomics in your statement, possibly?

I'm more attracted to micro(after reading a few books), I'm thinking of talking about monopolies in my PS, is this ok or shall I lean more towards theories?

cheers
Reply 794
Original post by 16dan2life
I understand most of you will be talking about macroeconomics in your statement, possibly?

I'm more attracted to micro(after reading a few books), I'm thinking of talking about monopolies in my PS, is this ok or shall I lean more towards theories?

cheers

your advised to talk about what you are interested in!!
Reply 795

cheers

As long as you talk about something that shows you understand what you're talking about/shows your interest, go for it!
Original post by amg_22
your advised to talk about what you are interested in!!

Thanks

when talking about it, am I meant to express how I feel about it(it being something read in a book)?
Reply 797
Thanks

when talking about it, am I meant to express how I feel about it(it being something read in a book)?

when you say how you feel the best answer is probably yes and no.

by this i mean don't say 'i am fascinated by...' but do go into detail like 'i find it intriguing that...'
Reply 798
Thanks

You should talk about what you found interesting but more importantly pick up on something and say if you agreed or disagreed with it and why. Perhaps briefly say what you did to find out more.

Original post by amg_22
when you say how you feel the best answer is probably yes and no.

by this i mean don't say 'i am fascinated by...' but do go into detail like 'i find it intriguing that...'

They are one and the same thing and cliche phrases like that are best avoided in my opinion.
Reply 799
Original post by Tateco
They are one and the same thing and cliche phrases like that are best avoided in my opinion.

the point i was trying to make is don't say 'i am fascinated by game theory' end of. but instead go into detail saying 'i find it intriguing that we can model the behaviour of interacting agents through game theory. for instance, (then go into detail)'.

so i wouldn't say they are one and the same thing...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending