The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by samuel23
Hi all I'm about to send of my application but I'm worried about some of my choices. These are the unis i'm currently applying to:

1.Durham- combined honours in social sciences(economics and geography)A*AA
2. Bath- Economics and International development- A*AA
3.UCL- Economics and Geography- AAA/AAB
4.LSE- Geography with Economics (Major-minor)- AAB
5.Kent- Economics- ABB

My predicted grades are A*(economics) A* (Geography) A(maths) and I got 6A* and 4A at GCSE. I enjoy economics more than geography and that's why I'm thinking of replacing either UCL or LSE with Nottingham for Economics(A*AA-AAA). I live in London so I would have liked to go to LSE or UCL but I have to admit that the courses don't appeal to me as much as Bath, Durham and Nottingham. I mainly picked LSE and UCL because of their prestige, rankings and location. However I'm not sure if a geography and economics degree from UCL or LSE is stronger than a straight Economics degree from Nottingham. I think i'm selling myself out because my predicted grades are very good. Also there is a possiblity that I want to study economics at masters or postgraduate level so would a geography and econ degree jeopardise that. So do you guys think I should get rid off LSE or UCL to replace it with nottingham? Do you think I can get an offer from nottingham even though I don't do further maths and only have 6 A* at gcse (I heard they want at least 7 or 8)? Is giving up LSE or UCL a big mistake? Also how will the switch effect my job prospects in the future?

Sorry for the long post but i'm really stressed out and I need some advice.
Thanks.

well i dont undersand why u choose a ABB course as a back up...
will u choose it as insurance choice?? =。=
why dont u replace this one with nottingham one??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1381
Original post by jinggie
well i dont undersand why u choose a ABB course as a back up...
will u choose it as insurance choice?? =。=
why dont u replace this one with nottingham one??

That's what I was thinking but if I get rejected by LSE or UCL then I don't have anything below A*AA. LSE and UCL are both competitive universities even though the courses aren't as competitive as straight economics.
Reply 1382
Durham or Southampton for Economics???

Original post by ICParris
Durham or Southampton for Economics???

I've been to the open day for both, what are your AS grades and predicted A2 grades?
Reply 1384
Original post by smithstefan1995
I've been to the open day for both, what are your AS grades and predicted A2 grades?

AS: AAAB (Maths, Economics,French, Physics)
A2 predictions : A* Maths A French A Economics

AS: AAAB (Maths, Economics,French, Physics)
A2 predictions : A* Maths A French A Economics

Well if you have no other A* requirement choices Durham would be the best one of the two, it is a great place, the department looks fantastic, but if you want a safer choice Southampton offer AAA or AABB if you take 4 A2 levels? Where else have you applied?
Original post by sgdsuy
Ok thanks for the quick reply. Out of curiosity, what UMS did you or others get? Just trying to get a perspective on my application :wink:

98% maths 94% FM 95% Econ 91% French
Reply 1387
Original post by smithstefan1995
Well if you have no other A* requirement choices Durham would be the best one of the two, it is a great place, the department looks fantastic, but if you want a safer choice Southampton offer AAA or AABB if you take 4 A2 levels? Where else have you applied?

I do have other A* requirement choices :/ haven't applied yet but: Nottingham, Bristol, Exeter, Sheffield and either Durham/ Southampton

I do have other A* requirement choices :/ haven't applied yet but: Nottingham, Bristol, Exeter, Sheffield and either Durham/ Southampton

Well my Predicted grades are A*AAA and Im applying to Exeter, Nottingham, Southamton, Surrey and Kent so I think you're applying to the right kind of universities?
Reply 1389
As much as I love maths and don't regret my choices, sometimes I wish I took more of an interest in university economics :colonhash:
Reply 1390
Original post by CD315
As much as I love maths and don't regret my choices, sometimes I wish I took more of an interest in university economics :colonhash:

same feeling here...

Reply 1391
Original post by jinggie
same feeling here...

What's your choice of study?
Reply 1392
got an offer from Bristol on Wednesday :smile:
Reply 1393
and Leeds on Friday :smile:
Original post by 1994_

Oooh, I applied there, did you apply for straight econ?
1994 what are your AS grades and A2 predictions? Xxxx

Original post by 1994_

That early? Wow, well done :biggrin:
is kenysian and monestarist capital letters, if you're referring to the ideas. i.e. " Kenseyian and Monetarist ideas are "
Original post by printergirl
is kenysian and monestarist capital letters, if you're referring to the ideas. i.e. " Kenseyian and Monetarist ideas are "

Keynesian is, the other isn't.
has anyone finished their ps?
i have a sentence that want someone to see if its grammatically correct and makes sense but dont want to post it here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending