The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morris743
Thanks for the post man :smile:

Hmm you reckon if I stick rigidly to a time it'll settle back fairly quickly? What about the summer rapidly approaching and the sun being up longer? (yes, I think of everything :facepalm:) Until around a month ago, I was on here till the likes of 3 or 4am lol...ever since have being averaging 8pm-10pm bedtime and waking up at around 8:30am. Sounds long, doesn't it? Takes me ages to get to sleep however tired I am, and I'm awoken several times a night by whatever noise there is about. I used to be able to sleep through a war. I'm hoping I'm only a light sleeper now because I messed the general pattern up and it'll return to normal sometime. I just feel like every day lost in some way is a step further away from where I want to be in life. I can barely muster up the energy to think through writing this post, let alone think everything through about sleep and spend time on one stategy.

Mu understanding is that a power-nap wouldn't affect anything and actually decreases stress and increases productivity. At least that's what I've read.

There was an interesting article on the BBC website a few weeks ago about sleeping 8 hours but doing it in two 4 hour stints. Say like sleeping from 10-2 then getting up and doing a task for 2 hours then going back to bed from 4-8. Apparently that was the done thing a couple of hundred years and we did it like that for a long time. The current way we do things is only a recent phenomenon.
Reply 381
Thanks for the post man :smile:

Hmm you reckon if I stick rigidly to a time it'll settle back fairly quickly? What about the summer rapidly approaching and the sun being up longer? (yes, I think of everything :facepalm:) Until around a month ago, I was on here till the likes of 3 or 4am lol...ever since have being averaging 8pm-10pm bedtime and waking up at around 8:30am. Sounds long, doesn't it? Takes me ages to get to sleep however tired I am, and I'm awoken several times a night by whatever noise there is about. I used to be able to sleep through a war. I'm hoping I'm only a light sleeper now because I messed the general pattern up and it'll return to normal sometime. I just feel like every day lost in some way is a step further away from where I want to be in life. I can barely muster up the energy to think through writing this post, let alone think everything through about sleep and spend time on one stategy.

Sound ALOT healthier mate. And yeah it sounds like it'll be your body trying to adjust :smile:
Reply 382
Original post by RDavies93
Thankyou :tongue:

Do you exercise much? Weirdly, the more I exercise, the more energy I have no matter how little sleep I'm running on... I know there is probably some other biological mechanism thing going on to cause this but it escapes me right now.

Hang in there... It'll settle down I promise :smile:

Yeh I started going to the gym around the same time as not staying up till the next day lol...I felt great energy wise in a physical sense, but I saw zero change in my mental outlook. The more I thought, the less I could do mental wise. Things that are automatic are fine...as I guess you'd expect them to be...your name, maths, sentences, etc etc. But any new thinking or certain memories (usually what I did this morning rather than stuff from years ago, which I can go through with great detail) is hard, hard work.

Thanks so much for replying :smile: I like to think of myself as being stronger than having to get it all out, but I am slowly realising that I am human:biggrin: and as such simply talking about it does work wonders, even if only for a short time.
Reply 383
Yeh I started going to the gym around the same time as not staying up till the next day lol...I felt great energy wise in a physical sense, but I saw zero change in my mental outlook. The more I thought, the less I could do mental wise. Things that are automatic are fine...as I guess you'd expect them to be...your name, maths, sentences, etc etc. But any new thinking or certain memories (usually what I did this morning rather than stuff from years ago, which I can go through with great detail) is hard, hard work.

Thanks so much for replying :smile: I like to think of myself as being stronger than having to get it all out, but I am slowly realising that I am human:biggrin: and as such simply talking about it does work wonders, even if only for a short time.

You are more than welcome :smile:

Talking these things out really does help... Keeping it in only leads to you breaking down or getting stressed, which is highly unpleasant :tongue: So yes, this is what we're all here for! :smile:
Reply 384
Original post by Deyesy
Sound ALOT healthier mate. And yeah it sounds like it'll be your body trying to adjust :smile:

:smile: I hope so.

I got into a routine of staying up late and getting up late for quite a bit of the year over many years. School / college holidays, weekends etc. Never had one little problem, because I was such a deep sleeper before. Then this changed and I was being woken up at 8am after going to bed at like 3 :biggrin: That happened these past few months, I let it slip and slip thinking a few days of good pattern would do the trick. It didn't. I feel like I just plunge deeper.
Reply 385
You are more than welcome :smile:

Talking these things out really does help... Keeping it in only leads to you breaking down or getting stressed, which is highly unpleasant :tongue: So yes, this is what we're all here for! :smile:

I guess I give myself twice the headache as I am quite independent in terms of a lot of my thought e.g. I never used to tell anyone I'd be applying or going for a job. It felt like setting yourself up for a fall.
Reply 386
Original post by TheMagicRat
Mu understanding is that a power-nap wouldn't affect anything and actually decreases stress and increases productivity. At least that's what I've read.

There was an interesting article on the BBC website a few weeks ago about sleeping 8 hours but doing it in two 4 hour stints. Say like sleeping from 10-2 then getting up and doing a task for 2 hours then going back to bed from 4-8. Apparently that was the done thing a couple of hundred years and we did it like that for a long time. The current way we do things is only a recent phenomenon.

Sure, but it's all more new research and I can't afford to risk my future on these reports. I don't know anymore..........lol

My most fresh sleeps of all time have been waking up after a while, realising I wouldn't have to be up for hours and going back to sleep. Not sure if this just makes you feel fresh or actually has a good affect on mental / physical health.
Reply 387
I guess I give myself twice the headache as I am quite independent in terms of a lot of my thought e.g. I never used to tell anyone I'd be applying or going for a job. It felt like setting yourself up for a fall.

I used to be the same. I couldn't be doing with failure... Let alone everyone Knowing about it. I kept to myself and worked through Everything on my own. Now i just vent it all out because I just can't cope with it otherwise. No matter how taboo something is, You've just gotta say it and not give a s***. You're still independent, you're just able to recognize that's it's human to share/need help.
Reply 388
I used to be the same. I couldn't be doing with failure... Let alone everyone Knowing about it. I kept to myself and worked through Everything on my own. Now i just vent it all out because I just can't cope with it otherwise. No matter how taboo something is, You've just gotta say it and not give a s***. You're still independent, you're just able to recognize that's it's human to share/need help.

Yeh, I am coming to that realisation. It is possible to keep it all in, a lot of things are possible, but the affects of it can be profound...

Of course you can't steer too much the other way though, as not everyone is nice and despite living an extremely sheltered life I still have a few enemies, even if only it being them taking an opportunity if it presented itself to them. Very lame, but that is another result of the human thing I guess :biggrin:
Reply 389
Yeh, I am coming to that realisation. It is possible to keep it all in, a lot of things are possible, but the affects of it can be profound...

Of course you can't steer too much the other way though, as not everyone is nice and despite living an extremely sheltered life I still have a few enemies, even if only it being them taking an opportunity if it presented itself to them. Very lame, but that is another result of the human thing I guess :biggrin:

This is true. Though if somebody says something negative about it, I tell them where to go. S**** them.
I was literally just about to deactivate my OkCupid account, when I log in and suddenly see a message from that guy I'd been complaining about not messaging me enough. Freaky :eek:. He says he has a lot of uni work, but still wants to chat. Hmm, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now then.
Reply 391
This is true. Though if somebody says something negative about it, I tell them where to go. S**** them.

Sure. But when you live with such people....:biggrin: No doubt their intentions are good, but I do not fit into their world. I am far more ambitious. Sure you can say get the hell out of their house, but that isn't an option at this moment since I can't think of a way out. I don't want to make my life situation worse while still having this going on too. The second I'm back to strength I'll be off. I could arrange it in a week at most, I'd say. I've wasted so much time :frown:
Reply 392
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I was literally just about to deactivate my OkCupid account, when I log in and suddenly see a message from that guy I'd been complaining about. Freaky :eek:. He says he has a lot of uni work, but still wants to chat. Hmm, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now then.

Yeh, sorry about that :colone:
Reply 393
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I was literally just about to deactivate my OkCupid account, when I log in and suddenly see a message from that guy I'd been complaining about not messaging me enough. Freaky :eek:. He says he has a lot of uni work, but still wants to chat. Hmm, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now then.

Uni exams ARE coming up. So it's possible enough to not be a lie that's for sure :smile:
Reply 394
Sure. But when you live with such people....:biggrin: No doubt their intentions are good, but I do not fit into their world. I am far more ambitious. Sure you can say get the hell out of their house, but that isn't an option at this moment since I can't think of a way out. I don't want to make my life situation worse while still having this going on too. The second I'm back to strength I'll be off. I could arrange it in a week at most, I'd say. I've wasted so much time :frown:

Try not to think of it as a waste... You'll come out of it a better person (clichéd as that sounds)
Yeh, sorry about that :colone:
:p:

Original post by Deyesy
Uni exams ARE coming up. So it's possible enough to not be a lie that's for sure :smile:

OK, I wasn't really aware so that's good to know, thanks :smile:

I was getting so paranoid that it was something to do with me, cos he was happy to chat to me everyday before we met up, then after we met conversation online was like so slow on his part. But OK, maybe I shouldn't read into these things so much :o:
Reply 396
Try not to think of it as a waste... You'll come out of it a better person (clichéd as that sounds)

Yeh, I'm learning loads on an almost daily basis (Spontogical would be proud). But I still feel as if I have all these goals and anything less will be a failure. Most of them can be done next year, but one involves a person dun dun dunnnnnn
Reply 397
Yeh, I'm learning loads on an almost daily basis (Spontogical would be proud). But I still feel as if I have all these goals and anything less will be a failure. Most of them can be done next year, but one involves a person dun dun dunnnnnn

You will get there I'm sure :smile: Good luck with that :smile:
Reply 398
You will get there I'm sure :smile: Good luck with that :smile:

Thank You again :smile:
Reply 399
Thank You again :smile:

Seee I can be nice most of the time :tongue:

Latest