The Student Room Group

Failing to find a boyfriend or have any romantic experience

I'm 18 but I feel very behind in terms of my romantic/sex life. The first and last time I kissed someone (properly), I was probably 15 and it was horrific. I'm not necessarily looking for a relationship but just some sort of romantic/intimate experience and it feels like an impossible task. I'm quite insecure about my looks as I am slightly overweight and still get some light acne. However, I feel like I can look alright on a night out, nothing special but I don't think I'm the ugliest person in the world realistically. I just don't know how to meet someone. I've tried dating apps but I feel so out of my depth due to my limited experience. Also, the furthest I got with a guy from a dating app ended with him just airing me really unexpectedly. I'm worrying that all my friends are progressing and I'm just stuck behind. I know people are going to say, don't worry, we all do things at different rates, but I genuinely do just want to meet someone. But I do also hate the feeling of being the unattractive person in my friend group. How do I go about approaching people? Any tips in general for my predicament?

Scroll to see replies

Literally just start talking to people. Especially in areas where you would find people with common interests to you.
Reply 2
Original post by EnigmaChess
Literally just start talking to people. Especially in areas where you would find people with common interests to you.

Yeah that makes sense, I suppose I've got to think about meeting new people at uni really. I think it just annoys me that I feel like I could never have the confidence to meet someone at a club, but maybe that's just not for everyone?
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah that makes sense, I suppose I've got to think about meeting new people at uni really. I think it just annoys me that I feel like I could never have the confidence to meet someone at a club, but maybe that's just not for everyone?

Perhaps join a society that interests you. What university do you attend?
Reply 4
Perhaps join a society that interests you. What university do you attend?

Well I mean when I start uni, I'll hopefully be going to Cardiff but will have to see with what grades I get haha
Well I mean when I start uni, I'll hopefully be going to Cardiff but will have to see with what grades I get haha

Hope you meet the grades. What are your interests?
Reply 6
Hope you meet the grades. What are your interests?

I mean it's hard to say things that are specific, I enjoy watching movies, going to gigs and I dabble in crochet but I'm open to trying new stuff. I used to be into drama haha but i don't know if I'd join a society like that these days
I mean it's hard to say things that are specific, I enjoy watching movies, going to gigs and I dabble in crochet but I'm open to trying new stuff. I used to be into drama haha but i don't know if I'd join a society like that these days

Yeah, it is hard. I love musical theatre but auditions are tough.
Reply 8
Yeah, it is hard. I love musical theatre but auditions are tough.

Haha agreed, I really enjoy musical theatre but never had much luck getting more than ensemble in school musicals so I was a little discouraged
Haha agreed, I really enjoy musical theatre but never had much luck getting more than ensemble in school musicals so I was a little discouraged

I think I have a pretty good chance this year, school is putting on Grease which has a ton of male roles and many of the guys at my school interested in musical theatre are leaving.
Reply 10
I think I have a pretty good chance this year, school is putting on Grease which has a ton of male roles and many of the guys at my school interested in musical theatre are leaving.

Oh that sounds so fun, I'd have loved to have done Grease. The last thing I was in was hairspray as Penny with my drama group but I never got to perform because of covid. Good luck with auditioning though!
I'm 18 but I feel very behind in terms of my romantic/sex life. The first and last time I kissed someone (properly), I was probably 15 and it was horrific. I'm not necessarily looking for a relationship but just some sort of romantic/intimate experience and it feels like an impossible task. I'm quite insecure about my looks as I am slightly overweight and still get some light acne. However, I feel like I can look alright on a night out, nothing special but I don't think I'm the ugliest person in the world realistically. I just don't know how to meet someone. I've tried dating apps but I feel so out of my depth due to my limited experience. Also, the furthest I got with a guy from a dating app ended with him just airing me really unexpectedly. I'm worrying that all my friends are progressing and I'm just stuck behind. I know people are going to say, don't worry, we all do things at different rates, but I genuinely do just want to meet someone. But I do also hate the feeling of being the unattractive person in my friend group. How do I go about approaching people? Any tips in general for my predicament?

Girl, I'm 19 and have never ever dated. Don't even know how to start, and I don't want to date online at all (scams, ghosting... Uh not for me). For me as a Chinese girl, it seems hard to get close with boys here, in addition that I'm pretty shy.
Reply 12
Girl, I'm 19 and have never ever dated. Don't even know how to start, and I don't want to date online at all (scams, ghosting... Uh not for me). For me as a Chinese girl, it seems hard to get close with boys here, in addition that I'm pretty shy.

I feel this. I mean, I'm not really shy, I'm quite extraverted but it's more of a lacking self-esteem thing for me. But, I just don't want to be alone anymore and I know that sounds OTT and melodramatic but I really just want to find someone
Oh that sounds so fun, I'd have loved to have done Grease. The last thing I was in was hairspray as Penny with my drama group but I never got to perform because of covid. Good luck with auditioning though!

Covid slowed down a lot of things.
I feel this. I mean, I'm not really shy, I'm quite extraverted but it's more of a lacking self-esteem thing for me. But, I just don't want to be alone anymore and I know that sounds OTT and melodramatic but I really just want to find someone

I would like to give you a rep but I've already done recently!
My mum always says good things take time and eventually we'll get there
My sis is in the same situation as me, except she's in her early 20s and at work, never dated and is thinking how hard it is to find someone.
Makes me wonder how people can just see each other then quickly get into a relationship. Do they say cheesy flirting lines? What if the other person is completely uninterested? (I've felt insecure due to my ethnicity here. Doesn't seem locals are interested in me at all)

Trust me, you can definitely find someone. Find a single guy with similar interests to you, if you get to know them and ask them out I can say as a guy you have at least an 85% probability of them saying yes.
My sis is in the same situation as me, except she's in her early 20s and at work, never dated and is thinking how hard it is to find someone.
Makes me wonder how people can just see each other then quickly get into a relationship. Do they say cheesy flirting lines? What if the other person is completely uninterested? (I've felt insecure due to my ethnicity here. Doesn't seem locals are interested in me at all)

You will find someone, definitely. The way to get into a relationship with someone that's actually worth your time is start talking, build a friendship then shoot your shot. (Enjoy the rep :smile:)
Reply 17

Yeah I wonder as well. That's the thing, I get on with people well enough but things never progress and I wonder, is it just because of how I look? And I'm sorry to hear that you feel insecure. Hoping for both of us that things work out for the best!
Reply 18
Trust me, you can definitely find someone. Find a single guy with similar interests to you, if you get to know them and ask them out I can say as a guy you have at least an 85% probability of them saying yes.

Okay, thank you for the advice. I think I maybe just need to meet someone new as I have guy friends who I share interests with but they never seem to see me as more than a friend
Okay, thank you for the advice. I think I maybe just need to meet someone new as I have guy friends who I share interests with but they never seem to see me as more than a friend

I understand that, I had that exact issue until I met my girlfriend who is absolutely amazing. I am a conventionally unattractive, nerdy guy who would never have been put together with someone as attractive and outgoing as my girlfriend, but it happened. Self confidence and shooting your shot is the key. Have belief :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending