The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Sutton Trust Summer School

Has anybody else got a place on the durham sutton trust summer school for english literature?😁😁
Reply 1
Not for English, but for Physics!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello, I went to the summer school last year and had the most amazing time ever with brilliant people. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I went to the summer school last year and had the most amazing time ever with brilliant people. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

i have so many!😂 could you just tell me about the experience overall? as much as you can/want to😁
Reply 4

Hi!! That would be so useful, thankyou! I have a few questions:

1. What college did you stay in, and did everyone stay in the same colleges or are they spread out?
2. What activities did you do in the evening (were they with others from different subjects?)
3. How many people went in total?
4. Was the uni crowded or quiet?

Thankyou!!
Reply 5
Original post by jesswils05
i have so many!😂 could you just tell me about the experience overall? as much as you can/want to😁

Original post by sadfailure
Hi!! That would be so useful, thankyou! I have a few questions:

1. What college did you stay in, and did everyone stay in the same colleges or are they spread out?
2. What activities did you do in the evening (were they with others from different subjects?)
3. How many people went in total?
4. Was the uni crowded or quiet?

Thankyou!!

Hi, I'm so sorry it has been so long - I've been super busy with A levels, I don't know if you'll even see this now! I thought I'd reply just in case and hopefully it will be useful to someone!

We all stayed in Van Mildert college, you may be in a different college this year but they tend to go for the bigger ones because yes, everyone is in there together. Accommodation tends to be a couple of same gender blocks and then a mixed one too so people on my corridor were from all sorts of subjects but the people from my subject were always nearby. You tend to sit and do activities with your subject group (there is usually 8-15 of you, depending on the subject, I think there were about ten of us in my subject). You might have heard that van mildert is one of the worst colleges but it was certainly lovely when we were there, the accommodation is relatively modern I suppose, think university standard rooms, but mine had a gorgeous view of the lake and the ducks were adorable!!! In terms of seeing other colleges, You'll definitely have the chance to see the outside of all of them at least once, and we had a dinner one night at Hatfeild so you're likely to see inside a couple, but most are closed up for the summer.

In terms of evening activities, they were all very fun, lots of teambuilding games to get to know the people on your course, we had a silent disco one night, Karaoke, a formal (dress up nice and have nice dinner), a picnic night. Loads of fun stuff and all of the groups mix at night so although you'll mostly hang out with your group you di get a change to talk to everyone. You'll also be meeting others when you do the sports and societies, if that happens this year.

In terms of making friends, it might seem daunting but, literally, everyone there wants to make friends! I made some super close friends over the week who I message daily, and all of us from my subject are in a group chat, most of us heading to Durham in September (results dependent!) so looking forward to meeting up again! Its made a lot easier by having a subject in common you can discuss. Also the time you arrive doesn't affect how well you fit in at all, everyone is super welcoming!! I'm hoping first week of uni will be as easy to make friends! The other thing is the Durham student reps - they are super amazing, you'll have one with your group and plenty of others helping organize it and they all do their best to ensure you have the best time possible.

I'd say about 200-300 in total so the summer school was very busy. The uni was of course quite quiet because most students had gone home so it wasn't overwhelming, but there were plenty of people in the town itself and because Durham is a city uni rather than a campus uni it kind of feels the same.

I hope that covers everything, but if there are any more questions I'd be more than happy to reply, and hopefully with better timing now that I'm finished. I hope you both enjoy the summer school and good luck with your a levels! Maybe i'll see you around Durham in a couple of years!
Reply 6
Hi, I'm so sorry it has been so long - I've been super busy with A levels, I don't know if you'll even see this now! I thought I'd reply just in case and hopefully it will be useful to someone!

We all stayed in Van Mildert college, you may be in a different college this year but they tend to go for the bigger ones because yes, everyone is in there together. Accommodation tends to be a couple of same gender blocks and then a mixed one too so people on my corridor were from all sorts of subjects but the people from my subject were always nearby. You tend to sit and do activities with your subject group (there is usually 8-15 of you, depending on the subject, I think there were about ten of us in my subject). You might have heard that van mildert is one of the worst colleges but it was certainly lovely when we were there, the accommodation is relatively modern I suppose, think university standard rooms, but mine had a gorgeous view of the lake and the ducks were adorable!!! In terms of seeing other colleges, You'll definitely have the chance to see the outside of all of them at least once, and we had a dinner one night at Hatfeild so you're likely to see inside a couple, but most are closed up for the summer.

In terms of evening activities, they were all very fun, lots of teambuilding games to get to know the people on your course, we had a silent disco one night, Karaoke, a formal (dress up nice and have nice dinner), a picnic night. Loads of fun stuff and all of the groups mix at night so although you'll mostly hang out with your group you di get a change to talk to everyone. You'll also be meeting others when you do the sports and societies, if that happens this year.

In terms of making friends, it might seem daunting but, literally, everyone there wants to make friends! I made some super close friends over the week who I message daily, and all of us from my subject are in a group chat, most of us heading to Durham in September (results dependent!) so looking forward to meeting up again! Its made a lot easier by having a subject in common you can discuss. Also the time you arrive doesn't affect how well you fit in at all, everyone is super welcoming!! I'm hoping first week of uni will be as easy to make friends! The other thing is the Durham student reps - they are super amazing, you'll have one with your group and plenty of others helping organize it and they all do their best to ensure you have the best time possible.

I'd say about 200-300 in total so the summer school was very busy. The uni was of course quite quiet because most students had gone home so it wasn't overwhelming, but there were plenty of people in the town itself and because Durham is a city uni rather than a campus uni it kind of feels the same.

I hope that covers everything, but if there are any more questions I'd be more than happy to reply, and hopefully with better timing now that I'm finished. I hope you both enjoy the summer school and good luck with your a levels! Maybe i'll see you around Durham in a couple of years!

Thankyou so much for this!! Very detailed and useful. I can't wait!! Did your a-levels go well?
Original post by sadfailure
Thankyou so much for this!! Very detailed and useful. I can't wait!! Did your a-levels go well?

Hopefully! Just waiting on results day now, fingers crossed! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, if love to do the summer school all over again, I'm hoping to be a student rep on one next summer or the summer after because they were so fun, so I'm sure you'll have a lovely time! Good luck :smile:)
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi, I've just applied to go to Durham this summer, and was wondering how the actual accommodation was? I know it's all a bit of a mix of singles and shared rooms and en-suite and shared facilities, so how does it work for the summer school? thank you!
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi, I've just applied to go to Durham this summer, and was wondering how the actual accommodation was? I know it's all a bit of a mix of singles and shared rooms and en-suite and shared facilities, so how does it work for the summer school? thank you!

Hello! When I went we were hosted by one of the colleges - van mildert, and you will probably be in the same one or a similar room. We were in single rooms with shared bathrooms and is is very likely what you'll have for your summer school.
Original post by Anonymous #2

I went last year, and we stayed in Grey (pretty large college). If you have shared bathrooms you will be in a single sex block/floor, and if you have ensuites I think it's a mixed floor. I really didn't want to share at first but it was actually fine (just bring flip flops or slippers). I'm making a (rather late) video including clips of the summer school so I can send a link when it's done if you want?
Here's my vlog just in case you wanted to see what it was like: https://youtu.be/ntvbK00E-dQ

Quick Reply

Latest