The Student Room Group

Are your parents separated or still together?

Poll

Are your parents separated or still together?

Bit of a social survey here.
Would be interested to know your age plus whether your parents are separated or not.
Oh and I'd be interested in your feelings on the matter, both personally and in terms of society as a whole.
(edited 4 months ago)
I'll bet the number of parents still together is vanishingly small on here. Will be surprised if I find anything else tbh.
Reply 2
Together, 40 years next year. Both early 60s, I am mid 30s.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by gjd800
Togher, 40 years next year. Both early 60s, I am mid 30s.

I don't see your vote. My guess is older people will have more parents together. Even though they have had longer to separate as it were. Something about the change in society, towards instant gratification. My parents have been together 50+years. I'm 42.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Would be interested to know your age plus whether your parents are separated or not.
Oh and I'd be interested in your feelings on the matter, both personally and in terms of society as a whole.

Takes bravery to say this but here goes. I’m 22 turning 23 next week. Parents are separated have been separated since my birth. Erm a difficult one to be honest a challenging situation had come to my mother where she single handedly raised 3 other siblings alongside me, and ever since then I had to reciprocate that by being a guardian to them, taking up financial responsibility, providing for the family in terms of food and drink, utility expenses etc. It’s one that I handled very well ever since I was a teen, and you know I can be able to understand why people would say I would make a loving father, that I have father like traits within me and fortunately I have my love of my life with me supporting me never felt that father and son bond though which is quite sad. But I don’t want that to happen to my own kids and especially never leaving my significant other a wonderful girl, so loving and beautiful and sweet and extremely looking forward to future with her. In terms of society really depends on the mutual understanding and the significance of a husband and wife relationships but marriages become null because of all sorts of reasons…
They have been together for more than 4 decades, I'm 28.
They are soulmates devoted to their revolutionary tua politics.
Although they have polar opposite views on religion and abortion.
Reply 6
My parents had an arranged marriage 3 weeks after they met, 23 years later they are still in love. I'm very happy my parents are together and happy because the happiness of the family depends on it. I know some people think that divorce is so hard for Muslims and that Muslims are forced to unhappily stay together. I had someone TSR telling me my parents were unhappy and that's why they were together. Not sure why she thought she knew my parent's marriage better than I did.
(edited 4 months ago)

Well my parents are still together, but they're like the ones who should really just.. separate. Usually no one is in the wrong but.. they just don't see eye to eye on anything. So it's either together for sake of me n my brother, or because they are Catholic and just can't separate.
Something about the change in society, towards instant gratification

like clockwork
What if one parent has passed on? Do you vote according to their status at that last point?
Original post by Anonymous #2
What if one parent has passed on? Do you vote according to their status at that last point?

Yes
I'm 30 and my parents are still together, have been for over 3 decades.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Well my parents are still together, but they're like the ones who should really just.. separate. Usually no one is in the wrong but.. they just don't see eye to eye on anything. So it's either together for sake of me n my brother, or because they are Catholic and just can't separate.

Many people of all religious beliefs and social backgrounds stay together in an unhappy marriage to an incompatible spouse because they do not want to admit that their marriage has failed.
While other people will admit it to themselves but cannot bear to have the rest of the world knowing and rule out ever separating for this reason.
Plenty of couples stay together solely for financial reasons because they have no alternative accomodation or viable means of providing for themselves/their dependent children and cannot afford the additional expenses of someone moving out.

Catholics can separate under some circumstances considered acceptable to the church under the "just cause" criteria. Those whose circumstances are deemed compatible with the criteria can obtain a legal separation or annulment and under these circumstances at least one of the couple can continue to participate in all their usual church activities.

You'll get it like you ordered! I am in my thirties and my parents were separated before I got 18. And are divorced too!

And I am indifferent and don't know what they are doing now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending