The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A - G485: Fields, Particles & Frontiers of Physics - June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Jetblast
Sugar, I wrote PM on my wall chart but it looks like it says AM >.<
so, question 2)b)i) june 11?

Charge is constant for capacitors in parallel, so work out the charge using CV = Q (1.125x10^-4 x 6 = 6.75x10^-4), then use Q/C = V for the 150uF capacitor (6.75x10^-4/150x10^-6 = 4.5V).

To get the charge for the circuit you need to use the total capacitance; i.e. 1/C1 + 1/C2 = 1/CT
Reply 781
Anyone think MRI is going to come up?
cos' its sort of making me lose hope for the exam
Reply 782
Original post by OllieReynolds
Ah ok. SO C-14 decays into C-12? So you can use the formula X=Xo.e^-lambda.t where Xo is the initial ratio and X is the new ratio?

Sort of. The C-14 does decay into C-12, but you can't directly use the ratio of C-12:C-14 to calculate the age. You'd have to work out the activity of the dead sample and the living sample separately. The activity of the dead sample is A, and the activity of the living sample is A0. Therefore, ln(A/A0)/-(lambda) = t.

Edit: Actually, sorry, you could use the ratio!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 783
Original post by tallen90
Charge is constant for capacitors in parallel, so work out the charge using CV = Q (1.125x10^-4 x 6 = 6.75x10^-4), then use Q/C = V for the 150uF capacitor (6.75x10^-4/150x10^-6 = 4.5V).

To get the charge for the circuit you need to use the total capacitance; i.e. 1/C1 + 1/C2 = 1/CT

excellent thanks.
Sort of. The C-14 does decay into C-12, but you can't directly use the ratio of C-12:C-14 to calculate the age. You'd have to work out the activity of the dead sample and the living sample separately. The activity of the dead sample is A, and the activity of the living sample is A0. Therefore, ln(A/A0)/-(lambda) = t.

Ok... i understand comparing Activities completely... but i don't see where the ratio method comes into it :-/ Cheers.
Reply 785
Original post by OllieReynolds
Ok... i understand comparing Activities completely... but i don't see where the ratio method comes into it :-/ Cheers.

Sorry, I amended my response. You could use the ratio.

Basically, if you had C-12:C-14 = 0.5:4 initially, you could take the initial number of C-12 atoms as 0.125.

The ratio would then increase over time, possibly to something like 1:3. So you could take this number of C-12 atoms as 0.333.

Then, use N = N0e^-(lambda)t where N0 is 0.125 and N is 0.333.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Reply 786
Original post by mack94

MRI is quite easy. Protons in the body precess. Once they are put in a magnetic field, depending on the strength of the field, they precess faster. Higher mag field strength, faster the speed of precession. at the larmour frequency, these protons resonate. when the external field is switched off, he protons relax back to their lower energy state and in doing so release (em waves?). these waves are detected. the relaxation time of the protons tell us where and what these protons are. watery tissue relax slowly, fatty tissue relax quickly while cancerous tissue relax somewhere in between.
Can someone explain question 2) b) i) in the june 2011 paper please

Also,

Because the charge on both capacitors is the same in a series circuit (Kirchhoff law) the voltages must be different for different capacitors (Q=CV).

This implies that the voltage of the smaller capacitor must be higher than the voltage of the bigger capacitor.

So you can write v1=(C1/(C1+C2)) * Emf (of battery)

where v1 is the voltage of capacitor 1
Reply 788
Original post by mack94

The strong magnetic field in the MRI machine causes protons in the body to align in the direction of the field. It also causes them to precess, with a frequency called the Larmor frequency. The Larmor frequency depends on the strength of the magnetic field; for this reason, a gradient field is used so that the MRI machine knows the Larmor frequency at every point inside the scanner.

Now, the machine uses an RF coil to send pulsed RF waves into the patient's body. When the frequency of these waves is equal to the Larmor frequency, nuclear resonance occurs and the protons (precessing with the Larmor frequency) "flip" into a high energy state.

After a period of time (the relaxation time), the protons relax back into the low energy state. Due to conservation of energy, this means that they must emit RF waves when they do so. These waves have a frequency equal to the Larmor frequency, and are detected by the RF coil (this is why the waves have to be pulsed; they can't be transmitted and received at the same time!).

The machine knows the position of the proton due to the frequency of RF waves it emits; remember, the gradient field means that the machine knows the Larmor frequency at every point in the field. It can also identify the type of tissue the proton is in based on its relaxation time (since protons have different relaxation times in different tissues). Based on this information, the scanner can produce a 3D image of the body and distinguish between the different types of tissues within it.
CAN'T WAIT TILL THIS IS OVER. :coma:
Reply 790
The strong magnetic field in the MRI machine causes protons in the body to align in the direction of the field. It also causes them to precess, with a frequency called the Larmor frequency. The Larmor frequency depends on the strength of the magnetic field; for this reason, a gradient field is used so that the MRI machine knows the Larmor frequency at every point inside the scanner.

Now, the machine uses an RF coil to send pulsed RF waves into the patient's body. When the frequency of these waves is equal to the Larmor frequency, nuclear resonance occurs and the protons (precessing with the Larmor frequency) "flip" into a high energy state.

After a period of time (the relaxation time), the protons relax back into the low energy state. Due to conservation of energy, this means that they must emit RF waves when they do so. These waves have a frequency equal to the Larmor frequency, and are detected by the RF coil (this is why the waves have to be pulsed; they can't be transmitted and received at the same time!).

The machine knows the position of the proton due to the frequency of RF waves it emits; remember, the gradient field means that the machine knows the Larmor frequency at every point in the field. It can also identify the type of tissue the proton is in based on its relaxation time (since protons have different relaxation times in different tissues). Based on this information, the scanner can produce a 3D image of the body and distinguish between the different types of tissues within it.

You have put me to shame. I'll get my coat.
Sorry, I amended my response. You could use the ratio.

Basically, if you had C-12:C-14 = 0.5:4 initially, you could take the initial number of C-12 atoms as 0.125.

The ratio would then increase over time, possibly to something like 1:3. So you could take this number of C-12 atoms as 0.333.

Then, use N = N0e^-(lambda)t where N0 is 0.125 and N is 0.333.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I just watched a video about carbon dating.. and C-14 actually decays back into nitrogen (not C-12).

I still don't completely get why you would need/want to use the ratio method as it seems almost the same method as just finding the new and old activity of the sample. but i guess if i just mention both in the answer somewhere i'll hopefully get the marks
Reply 792
I seem to make so many calculation errors. I'm going to type each calculation in to my calculator 3 times before I settle with the answer
Did too much Psychology and left this one behind...Just hoping to get top marks on defintions and long answers. Will have to improvise with the calculator questions.
Original post by Brap4k22DivideBy2
Did too much Psychology and left this one behind...Just hoping to get top marks on defintions and long answers. Will have to improvise with the calculator questions.

Pffft psychology is not even a proper subject.
Reply 795
Original post by JuxtaposedJames
Pffft psychology is not even a proper subject.

That's not fair.
Reply 796
You have put me to shame. I'll get my coat.

Sorry :P I just thought it should be clear because the commenter didn't understand it very well!

I thought the RF emitter and RF receiver coils were two separate coils.. not the same one?
That's not fair.

The way they try and brand it as a social science sickens me. It has nothing on physics and mathematics
Original post by Mr Maths
I seem to make so many calculation errors. I'm going to type each calculation in to my calculator 3 times before I settle with the answer

same, I make too many stupid mistakes and I can never notice them even after checking...

any tips on how to minimise silly mistakes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending