The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
^ @ stuck18 i agree the January c3 the last question was horrible that's where i lost all my marks otherwise I would have gotten and A. I hope our stats exam isn't too bad but i'm getting really scared now just thinking about it and time is just going by SO SLOW i wish it would be Friday already so we can get this over and done with.
Original post by Lindizya
^ @ stuck18 i agree the January c3 the last question was horrible that's where i lost all my marks otherwise I would have gotten and A. I hope our stats exam isn't too bad but i'm getting really scared now just thinking about it and time is just going by SO SLOW i wish it would be Friday already so we can get this over and done with.

I didn't take the C3 jan 2012 exam, but i just tried the last question, it wasn't so tough as you people are saying.

Which part of it did you felt was tough?

I was able to solve the last question in around 5 minutes.
Time to do all the pastpapers :biggrin:

Have about 14 to do over 3 days

Aghh
Original post by itsmehello
Time to do all the pastpapers :biggrin:

Have about 14 to do over 3 days

Aghh

Lol man it's not possible. I did all the past papers within a 3 - 5 days a few weeks ago, and it was actually complete overkill, especially when you stay up at night and do it. I made mistakes like pressing the wrong numbers on the calculator which completly ****ed up my answers to those sxx syy, standard deviation, other equations etc, since i did it at night when i was tired (even when you try to tell yourself do everything properly, it just doesn't happen!). If i were you, as a confidence building process you should do some of the older s1 papers like in 2005 - 2006 and then try the very recent papers from january 2010 onwards (the recent ones seem to get much tougher compared to the earlier ones). It doesn't matter if you havent literally done all the papers, time isn't on your side, but what you could do is just look at all the QPs online and mark schemes of those you haven't done, so basically you can ''expose'' yourself to what the examiners expect.

hope this helps and good luck with the exam :smile:
Reply 244
Original post by raheem94
I didn't take the C3 jan 2012 exam, but i just tried the last question, it wasn't so tough as you people are saying.

Which part of it did you felt was tough?

I was able to solve the last question in around 5 minutes.

it wasn't hard it was just i didnt learn the proofs of how to prove tan(a+b) so i was screwed then i panicked because i couldnt prove it so i ended up losing all of my marks on that page.
Original post by Lindizya
it wasn't hard it was just i didnt learn the proofs of how to prove tan(a+b) so i was screwed then i panicked because i couldnt prove it so i ended up losing all of my marks on that page.

I also never learn the proofs, it is just like proving an identity.

The other parts were doable without doing the 1st part.
Original post by shahofiran
Lol man it's not possible. I did all the past papers within a 3 - 5 days a few weeks ago, and it was actually complete overkill, especially when you stay up at night and do it. I made mistakes like pressing the wrong numbers on the calculator which completly ****ed up my answers to those sxx syy, standard deviation, other equations etc, since i did it at night when i was tired (even when you try to tell yourself do everything properly, it just doesn't happen!). If i were you, as a confidence building process you should do some of the older s1 papers like in 2005 - 2006 and then try the very recent papers from january 2010 onwards (the recent ones seem to get much tougher compared to the earlier ones). It doesn't matter if you havent literally done all the papers, time isn't on your side, but what you could do is just look at all the QPs online and mark schemes of those you haven't done, so basically you can ''expose'' yourself to what the examiners expect.

hope this helps and good luck with the exam :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I know I doubt I'm going to be able to do them all :frown:
I defo won't be staying up doing them at night when I'm really tired because I know I'll make loads more silly mistakes too

I'm just doing a couple of the papers from 2005 now and then I'll do 2009 2010 and 2011 and maybe do the questions on solomon papers that I tend to make mistakes on like tree diagrams and stuff
Hoping to get over 85 ums so really going to try so enough papers without overdoing the revision :biggrin:
Good luck to you too!
Say you are drawing a box plot

Lowest value =5 and Highest value= 92

Any values below 8 or above 100 are outliers
When drawing this boxplot the left whisker would be at 8 with a cross at 5

When drawing the right whisker would you put the whisker at 92 or at 100?
Say you are drawing a box plot

Lowest value =5 and Highest value= 92

Any values below 8 or above 100 are outliers
When drawing this boxplot the left whisker would be at 8 with a cross at 5

When drawing the right whisker would you put the whisker at 92 or at 100?

I think it's a double whisker; i've seen that in one of the past paper mark scheme for this kind of question.
Reply 249
Omg what is the best way to learn normal distribution the harder questions??? im so going suicidal over them type of questions
Reply 250
Original post by QwertyG
Omg what is the best way to learn normal distribution the harder questions??? im so going suicidal over them type of questions

It is OK. You just need to think of the normal distribution as a giant penis. The rest will come naturally.
I think it's a double whisker; i've seen that in one of the past paper mark scheme for this kind of question.

Oh okay thanks that would make more sense
Reply 252
Original post by Zhy
It is OK. You just need to think of the normal distribution as a giant penis. The rest will come naturally.

Probably works best for those who dream about giant penis's all day *no names*
Original post by stuck18
its hard to relax cos I know this is my last chance at this module *sigh* . yes I no that.. it affected me last summers s1 exam :frown:

Just think of it as one MORE chance to do better than your previous exam. At least you've finished preparing for it .........
Does coding ONLY affect standard deviation, but not sxx, sxy, syy and pmc. Like is this correct?
Does coding ONLY affect standard deviation, but not sxx, sxy, syy and pmc. Like is this correct?

Coding affects mean and SD

Doesn't affect PMC

not so sure about whether it affects Sxx Syy Sxy :confused:
Reply 256
this is all crap man hate these applied modules ****ing pisstake c1 - c4 the real deal
havent got a clue on anything wah you people suggest?
Reply 257
does anyone know a good way to revise probability, I`m finding it really hard :/
Thanks
Reply 258
Coding affects mean and SD

Doesn't affect PMC

not so sure about whether it affects Sxx Syy Sxy :confused:

It does affect it.

Try it with a simple data set such as {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}. Find Sxx.

Now try it with the coding h = x/10. Find Shh. What do you notice?

Why do you think this happens?
Reply 259
Original post by rommy123
does anyone know a good way to revise probability, I`m finding it really hard :/
Thanks

Same :/

Latest

Trending

Trending