The Student Room Group

driving lessons depression

I've took unil now about 31 lessons, I'm fine but my problem is the steering wheel mom says i'm dumb because I can drive in a stright like ,It's not that I go soo far to left or right but I still can't feel the car or sense it moving slightly to left or to right, my test is coming and I don't know what to do.every lesson is a total depression because of this what shall I do, any suggestion or sympathy atleast:frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 1
Steering wheel mom? Whats this?

As for not feeling, I dont think most people feel it since its hard to feel subtle movements. I think you might need to learn whats at the edge of the windscreen so you know when you drift a little.
I feel sympathy for you......:bawling:
Reply 3
I always do the same thing. I've had soo many lessons, and never seem to improve :eek: but i've changed instructors now. yay :biggrin:
Reply 4
jr2007
Steering wheel mom? Whats this?

As for not feeling, I dont think most people feel it since its hard to feel subtle movements. I think you might need to learn whats at the edge of the windscreen so you know when you drift a little.

oh please say more I think I'm getting somewhere, how to know from the window AKA can you explain more!!!:biggrin:
Reply 5
lol i passd ages ago and my mum still whines about my driving!!!
If you take your hand off the wheel the car should drive streight itself...
Reply 7
stratomaster
If you take your hand off the wheel the car should drive streight itself...

I know that but you cant keep your hands off the wheel all the time, plus the path isn't always stright it self so I have ti figure out a way to know that the car is slightly getting out of path or whatever
habosh
I've took unil now about 31 lessons, I'm fine but my problem is the steering wheel mom says i'm dumb because I can drive in a stright like ,It's not that I go soo far to left or right but I still can't feel the car or sense it moving slightly to left or to right, my test is coming and I don't know what to do.every lesson is a total depression because of this what shall I do, any suggestion or sympathy atleast:frown: :frown: :frown:

I'm the same. but I've only just started to do it
Reply 9
I'm not totally sure what you mean but anyway... hope this isnt just waffle!

When your wheel is set dead in the middle then the car will go in a straight line, but as you say roads arent perfectly straight. Go to some quiet roads where you can have a play around with out too many cars nearby. Try putting the car in the road - where it should be in normal driving and let the wheel go to the middle so the car is going straight. Try turning the wheel a very small amount to the left as the car is moving slowly - see how much the car moves for not much turn on the wheel. Take it back to the middle and do the same for the right. Just for following the natural bends and curves in the road you wont need to turn the wheel much at all - try and get a feel for how much turning the steering wheel turns the car.

Then as jr2007 said, try and get used to what you should be able to see out of the windscreen when you are in the correct driving position. The 'correct' driving position will change abit depending on the width of the road - if you are on a wide road there is no point sticking into the kerb, but if it is a narrow road then you will obviously have to be closer to it.

Also, make sure that when you are driving you look at where you want to go, it sounds silly I know, but if you look at the kerb, you will tend to steer towards it. If you are looking ahead down the road you are more likely to follow the road better. Make sure that you look quite far down the road as well, my driving instructor kept going on about near, middle, far. Look at each in turn - dont just look close to you, if you are focussing too much on the 'near' then you are just following that part of the road - try and look ahead so that you can see a bend etc coming up and can start to move the car into the bend better.

Hope that is some help - and that I havnt totally misunderstood what you were asking!
Reply 10
Cathie86
I'm not totally sure what you mean but anyway... hope this isnt just waffle!

When your wheel is set dead in the middle then the car will go in a straight line, but as you say roads arent perfectly straight. Go to some quiet roads where you can have a play around with out too many cars nearby. Try putting the car in the road - where it should be in normal driving and let the wheel go to the middle so the car is going straight. Try turning the wheel a very small amount to the left as the car is moving slowly - see how much the car moves for not much turn on the wheel. Take it back to the middle and do the same for the right. Just for following the natural bends and curves in the road you wont need to turn the wheel much at all - try and get a feel for how much turning the steering wheel turns the car.

Then as jr2007 said, try and get used to what you should be able to see out of the windscreen when you are in the correct driving position. The 'correct' driving position will change abit depending on the width of the road - if you are on a wide road there is no point sticking into the kerb, but if it is a narrow road then you will obviously have to be closer to it.

Also, make sure that when you are driving you look at where you want to go, it sounds silly I know, but if you look at the kerb, you will tend to steer towards it. If you are looking ahead down the road you are more likely to follow the road better. Make sure that you look quite far down the road as well, my driving instructor kept going on about near, middle, far. Look at each in turn - dont just look close to you, if you are focussing too much on the 'near' then you are just following that part of the road - try and look ahead so that you can see a bend etc coming up and can start to move the car into the bend better.

Hope that is some help - and that I havnt totally misunderstood what you were asking!

yeah thanx alot hun, I think my problem might be not looking much far away ahead of me,just looking at the near thingie thats why,anyway gonna try and say how did it go:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending