The Student Room Group

Sociology AS unit 2 MAY 2012!! (AQA)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by samfreak
thank you i'll try doing that! but what mark out of 20 would you give this?

I personally would give it 14, (sorry) :redface:
Reply 61
Original post by YazB7
Thank you. Mark out of 20?

well i would give it 11, but with a bit more studies and sociologists names that would definatly boost up. examiners love sociologists names:redface:
Reply 62
Original post by ruby_v
Is it possible, that would mean I would need to get a high A right? And how many UMS do i needa roughly get?

yeah you probably need a high A..but you can do it (: a B wouldnt be too bad though so dont worry (: good luck x
I'm resitting this exam and I'm currently in A2, what do people think will come up in the exam? Also, are there any topics I can almost completely disregard as they came up last time? I know with Crime and Divance there's a lot of topics, I therefore disregarded some that were on the previous paper as they wouldn't come up - I ended up getting an A for the paper. Is it advisable to do the same? If so, which ones?
Reply 64
Did anyone get an A in unit 2 education and research methods! And how did you get it, any useful tips ?
Reply 65
Original post by R3cognize
I'm resitting this exam and I'm currently in A2, what do people think will come up in the exam? Also, are there any topics I can almost completely disregard as they came up last time? I know with Crime and Divance there's a lot of topics, I therefore disregarded some that were on the previous paper as they wouldn't come up - I ended up getting an A for the paper. Is it advisable to do the same? If so, which ones?

yh thats what i'm doing, in jan 2012 the 20 marker was based on class differences so im just going to go over that very briefly incase it comes as the 12 or 6 marker ,...etc
Reply 66
For the role of education : marxism and functionalists

Is Davis and Moore arguing the idea that we are allocated our roles due to our talents, that education is a proving ground to gain the qualifications for the demanding jobs. In my book it states its linked to social inequality..What has this got to do with social inequality ?

Bowles and Gintis argue the correspondance theory , does that mean depending on class , we will end up parallel to our parents jobs but also the fact that education mirrors the workplace. So the hidden curriculum prepares the working class for work , as they able to cope with boredom etc.

Im not really sure if im on the right track ?
Reply 67
Can someone help me with methods in context, dont know how to refer it back to item a?
Is Davis and Moore arguing the idea that we are allocated our roles due to our talents, that education is a proving ground to gain the qualifications for the demanding jobs. In my book it states its linked to social inequality..What has this got to do with social inequality ?

Yes, moreorless. The link to inequality is the idea it's functional - the "best qualified, hardest working" etc. get the highest status, best-paid, jobs. You could also link this to the idea of meritocracy - achievement in contemporary societies is based on what you can do, not who you know etc. (plenty of scope for evaluation there...).

Bowles and Gintis argue the correspondance theory , does that mean depending on class , we will end up parallel to our parents jobs but also the fact that education mirrors the workplace. So the hidden curriculum prepares the working class for work , as they able to cope with boredom etc.

Again, on the right lines. The argument is about class reproduction (how sons and daughters get to the same level as parents etc.). Education corresponds to demands of workplace and hidden curriculum is part of this reproduction process (through types of school - going to Eton gives upper class kids status etc. - to what happens in classroom). Could use this idea to criticise functionalist concepts of meritocracy etc.
Reply 69
Original post by Chris.Livesey
Yes, moreorless. The link to inequality is the idea it's functional - the "best qualified, hardest working" etc. get the highest status, best-paid, jobs. You could also link this to the idea of meritocracy - achievement in contemporary societies is based on what you can do, not who you know etc. (plenty of scope for evaluation there...).

Again, on the right lines. The argument is about class reproduction (how sons and daughters get to the same level as parents etc.). Education corresponds to demands of workplace and hidden curriculum is part of this reproduction process (through types of school - going to Eton gives upper class kids status etc. - to what happens in classroom). Could use this idea to criticise functionalist concepts of meritocracy etc.

Thanks for making it clearer :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by ruby_v
Can someone help me with methods in context, dont know how to refer it back to item a?

Well whilst talking about the method for example structured interviews , if the item A is on pupil attitudes and how its difficult to study their attitudes then you could state :
The limitation of the structured interviews on studying pupil attitudes according to the item suggests that pupils are less likely going to reveal their true emotions or attitudes due to the formality of the interview, however the use of more unstructured interviews could create more of a rapport with the students...
Dont copy what the item states fully ,use certain bits for your answer with quotes if you are going to take bits and expand on the answer.
Not really good at explaining lool.
Reply 71
Original post by YazB7
That's really good! Well done

What came up in your paper? I am doing the unit 2 exam in May :smile:

Thanks
Reply 72
Original post by bkhan
What came up in your paper? I am doing the unit 2 exam in May :smile:

Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you! I'm doing unit 2 in may x
Reply 73
I'm re-sitting the education unit to boost my chances of getting an A so i don't have to try and get 100% in unit 4. I was looking everywhere for the janaury 2012 exam questions, this thread has saved me so much revision time. My teacher has predicted marxism to come up for education as it hasnt come up on its own yet. If you're in year 12, you'll seriously begin to appreciate this exam next year when you take crime and deviance, how i got an A in it, i will never know. Theres so much to remember but it's true to say you can disregard certain topics but you dont have a choice of questions for the essay one, you just have to do whats there. The education exam is a dream compared to that, and unit 4 which i'm doing now is religion and its soooooo boring. Although crime and deviance was alot of hard work, it was really interesting whereas religion is a 'kill me now' situation lol, i'm sure you'll all do well though, dont panic!
Reply 74
Original post by Sana210693
Well whilst talking about the method for example structured interviews , if the item A is on pupil attitudes and how its difficult to study their attitudes then you could state :
The limitation of the structured interviews on studying pupil attitudes according to the item suggests that pupils are less likely going to reveal their true emotions or attitudes due to the formality of the interview, however the use of more unstructured interviews could create more of a rapport with the students...
Dont copy what the item states fully ,use certain bits for your answer with quotes if you are going to take bits and expand on the answer.
Not really good at explaining lool.

Reply 75
Does anyone have any predictions for mays paper?
so stressed out for this exam, so far ive had 4 teachers for this unit, we only got a permanent one 2 months ago! and we've had loads of time off with holidays and stuff plus we've been told that out college is stopping a levels so we have to find where were gonna go next year so ive been really stressed. I feel like I need to start from basics again and the textbook method doesnt work for me, shoot me now.
Reply 77
Can someone give me an A grade methods in context essay?
Reply 78
when's the exam??
Original post by eyre2
when's the exam??

25th of May I believe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending