The Student Room Group

Have you ever changed or wanted to change your name?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I've looked into it, but it's losing years off my passport that's put me off. I have no middle name and a very common name and it drives me mad. I waited an extra year to see an orthodontist because they mixed my records up with another girl by the same name (and date of birth!!!) and when I finally got to seeing them, NHS had been changed and I was no longer eligible for treatment! I got a rejection from a job I really wanted, accepted a different one, only for them to ring apologizing they'd mixed two of us up and worst of all...I received someone else's breast op letter and when I rang the hospital to explain the mistake they thought I was in denial about my cancer! I had to take a bus to the hospital and sort the problem out in person!
So yes I want to change my god awful common name! Also, if any of you reading this ever have kids and a common surname for the love of god...give them a middle name!
Original post by syrettd
Your name is seriously Sheldon Kingsley Brackett? That may be the fanciest name I've ever heard. I'm picturing you swilling brandy while standing near a fireplace with a bear's head on the wall.

If I was my boyfriend I would consider changing my name, but he loves it- despite it's...problem. You see, my boyfriend is the second in a new family tradition of swapping the middle name and first name over of the father. So, his grandfather was Anthony Keith. His dad is Robert Anthony, which makes my boyfriend Anthony Robert. His surname ends in S.
His initials- ARS.
Fortunately, it was spotted just before his birth by his gran, so his parents quickly added Benjamin before his surname. But as a late addition it often gets left out. My boyfriend is almost literally an ARS(e).

It does sound very fancy, which is almost a complete contrast to me haha. 'Brackett' isn't very fancy though, it has a bad reputation where I live too so I don't really get any grief about that.

Your boyfriend's dilemma is fantastic, I wish my initials were as intriguing as his.
Reply 82
I don't have a middle name, but would really like one (if only for the initials). I lived abroad in Africa for some time in a country where everyone gets an additional name according to his day of birth (weekday), so I kind of now have a second name, but it does not appear in my passport or official documents :wink:
Reply 83
My parents decided I would be known by my middle name which is a pain as I always get called by my first name in formal situations and get laughed at or whatever as people don't know about it. I thought about changing it but my dad said employers would think that changing my name might look like I was trying to hide something to potential employers. I'm not sure how true this is though and whether he's just trying to get me to keep the name he gave me, but if it wasn't true I'd change it in an instant as its really inconvenient and my parents know how much it bothers me.
Reply 84
Original post by jd66
My parents decided I would be known by my middle name which is a pain as I always get called by my first name in formal situations and get laughed at or whatever as people don't know about it. I thought about changing it but my dad said employers would think that changing my name might look like I was trying to hide something to potential employers. I'm not sure how true this is though and whether he's just trying to get me to keep the name he gave me, but if it wasn't true I'd change it in an instant as its really inconvenient and my parents know how much it bothers me.

Why would they give you a first and middle name then call you by your middle name? Why not make your middle name your first name at birth?
Reply 85
Original post by Cheese_Monster
It does sound very fancy, which is almost a complete contrast to me haha. 'Brackett' isn't very fancy though, it has a bad reputation where I live too so I don't really get any grief about that.

Your boyfriend's dilemma is fantastic, I wish my initials were as intriguing as his.

Your name is epic!! :biggrin:

I'd never even think about changing either my first or middle name.My first name was chosen by my late father and my middle name was my Irish great grandmothers name and my mums sisters name.I'd somehow feel like I was disrespecting them if I were to change it.
(edited 12 years ago)
How does it affect all your paper work and passports etc. Oh and your degree/ say if you were XYZ when you graduated, but now you are XYZABC, how do you prove it was you?
Original post by Annie72
Your name is epic!! :biggrin:

I'd never even think about changing either my first or middle name.My first name was chosen by my late father and my middle name was my Irish great grandmothers name and my mums sisters name.I'd somehow feel like I was disrespecting them if I were to change it.

Thank you :colondollar:

Definitely don't change it then, what is your full name out of interest?

I like to keep Brackett in my name too because its from my Dad's Irish family so I can relate to your 'not wanting to disrespect heritage' kind of angle :P
Reply 88
having two names to me is better then one. who thinks it is useful and smart to have more then 1 name?
Reply 89
Original post by puddingandpie
I haven't got a middle name and would really like to give myself one. I love the name Blanche (from watching Upstairs Downstairs) because it sounds really old fashioned but lovely.

Has anyone else ever changed their name? Or would you want to in the future?

How difficult is it, I think you do it via Deed Poll

Blanche! I remember that name from the fantastic book A Streetcar Named Desire. I recommend you read it :biggrin:

I have thought about changing my name. But am yet to find a suitable middle name.
Just wondering, how do you go about choosing a new name and re-teaching/convincing everyone you know, all official stuff and yourself that your name is different?

I know if I changed mine, I'd constantly get muddled, it takes long enough to re-teach yourself it's 2012 (not 2011 any more!) :wink:

I have no issue with my name, just curious... :smile:
Original post by pinda.college
Yes I have, you are officially talking to Princess Consuela Bananahammock:smile:

haha :tongue:
Reply 92
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Thank you :colondollar:

Definitely don't change it then, what is your full name out of interest?

I like to keep Brackett in my name too because its from my Dad's Irish family so I can relate to your 'not wanting to disrespect heritage' kind of angle :P

My name is Elizabeth Ann.
I used to want to change my name because people made fun of it and could never spell it right, but I love it because it is rare in people of my age - it's popular in little kids these days, especially in America, but the only person in this country I've met with my name is three years old. My full name seems to flow quite well, and then professionally I use my first and middle name, and I have a pseudonym for writing.
I've joked about officially getting rid of my middle name, but I don't think I'd ever go through with it. I've never thought of changing my first name though, I'm not sure if I'd ever get used to being called something different and would still always answer to my old name.
Reply 95
Original post by syrettd
Why would they give you a first and middle name then call you by your middle name? Why not make your middle name your first name at birth?

Apparently my parents couldn't decide between 2 names so the name my dad wanted was my first name and the name my mum wanted was my middle name and I be known socially by my middle name and formally by my first name. Its been incredibly annoying for the past 20 years though and I wish they'd just decided on one name. Its quite awkward when my names read out in a lecture or something and its my first name.
Reply 96
Original post by jd66
Apparently my parents couldn't decide between 2 names so the name my dad wanted was my first name and the name my mum wanted was my middle name and I be known socially by my middle name and formally by my first name. Its been incredibly annoying for the past 20 years though and I wish they'd just decided on one name. Its quite awkward when my names read out in a lecture or something and its my first name.

I'd be annoyed too. If they couldn't decide they should have put the one you'd be known by socially first to avoid confusion. I've seen people who are known by a nickname look confused when their actual name is said, so I can imagine your problem.
Yeah I have. But my name is already described as 'awesome' so I think I'll leave it :biggrin:
Reply 98
I actually want to remove/change my middle name.
yes, from nathan to lily...

Quick Reply

Latest