The Student Room Group

SCLY3 Beliefs in Society June 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by awkifriotbne
Question 1
I talked about Interpretivism believing that offical statistics were socially constructed, how churches may lie to entice new members and how religion is hard to define anominations would be more likely to last long term and hence this might be why they are not see as a deviance and also why more people take part in them, despite the fact secularisation is occurring.

Thoughts on the paper? :smile:

I also did question 4 :smile: Looking at what you wrote give me a tiny bit of hope!
Reply 501
Original post by sarahbee1
Hi ,I'm having a bit of an issue trying to work out UMS.
I know it doesn't really matter and I'll obviously find out in August anyway, but I'm just curious that I'm already on 252 UMS marks for the exams I've sat already, what would I need have gotten in this exam to get an A/B overall?

28 for a B, 68 for an A. B = 280 UMS, A = 320 UMS :smile:
I panicked !! I didnt write anything on science for the 33 marker, i wrote about max weber and his idea of rationalisation which is the close to it aswell as bruce's technological view.
I talked about cultural defence/resistant identity and fundamentalism
Marxism and Functionalism- marxist view and functionalism i talked about structural differentation according to Tallcott Parsons.
Postmodernism- spiritual shopping religious market theory and exisential security.
slight bit on social changes in particular i talked about liberation theology.

Was this right ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 503
Original post by Sana210693
I panicked !! I didnt write anything on science for the 33 marker, i wrote about max weber and his idea of rationalisation which is the close to it aswell as bruce's technological view.
I talked about cultural defence/resistant identity and fundamentalism
Marxism and Functionalism- marxist view and functionalism i talked about structural differentation according to Tallcott Parsons.
Postmodernism- spiritual shopping religious market theory and exisential security.
slight bit on social changes in particular i talked about liberation theology.

Was this right ?

that's basically what i did :smile: only a very small paragraph on science, it wasnt exactly clear that you needed to though. Did you write about marxism or functionalism for 18 marker?
Reply 504
Original post by Azwozzle

do u know what the grades are for this paper?
Reply 505
Not sure to be honest, everyone else seems to have written about them but I didn't. Might not have needed to *fingers crossed*

aaah and i hardly used the item! i thought the 33 marker went really well too :angry:
Reply 506

Ok, thanks for that :smile: But the exam was out of 60?
So would it be 48/60 for an A? not sure what it would be for B haha
Original post by Grace*
that's basically what i did :smile: only a very small paragraph on science, it wasnt exactly clear that you needed to though. Did you write about marxism or functionalism for 18 marker?

Oh thank god but im a bit peed off because i was determined for science to come up and i was thinking ideological function and totally forgot. I did evaluate with a tiny bit of functionalism , no marxism i dont think for the 18 marker. I managed to evaluate alot because theres alot against women being equal in society. What did you put ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 508
Original post by sarahbee1
Ok, thanks for that :smile: But the exam was out of 60?
So would it be 48/60 for an A? not sure what it would be for B haha

Not necessarily, they change the conversion to UMS based on the grade boundaries set for that paper. For example, in January, I got 41/60 = 54.67 UMS but I actually got 57 UMS. They change it all the time based on how difficult the paper was.
Reply 509
Original post by Grace*
aaah and i hardly used the item! i thought the 33 marker went really well too :angry:

Chillax, you probably did better than you thought. I know someone got a really high A last year and didn't put the Item in at all (even though it's more important this year). What did you do for 33 mark?
Reply 510
Original post by Sana210693
Oh thank god but im a bit peed off because i was determined for science to come up and i was thinking ideological function and totally forgot. I did evaluate with a tiny bit of functionalism , no marxism i dont think for the 18 marker. I managed to evaluate alot because theres alot against women being equal in society. What did you put ?

Yeah same i literally learnt of by heart an ideology and science essay! Well didn't use any Marxism/functionalism - just completely forgot, so hope there isn't a cap on my marks! but i used stuff from sacred texts for it is oppressive, and how religion has influenced society and stuff on women being associated with imperfection in religion and female priests (or lack of)as well
Reply 511
Chillax, you probably did better than you thought. I know someone got a really high A last year and didn't put the Item in at all (even though it's more important this year). What did you do for 33 mark?

hope so! i did the ideology question and basically used stuff from the entire course(but applied it to the question) how about you?
Reply 512
Original post by kathhh8
do u know what the grades are for this paper?

They won't have set the mark to UMS conversion yet, because they decide that after the exams are marked, but UMS wise, it's:
64/80 = A, 56/80 = B, 48/80 = C, 40/80 = D, and 32/80 = E
Reply 513
Original post by Grace*
hope so! i did the ideology question and basically used stuff from the entire course(but applied it to the question) how about you?

Same! I did:

Cosmopolitanism and New Age spirituality/Fundamentalism (Giddens)
Nanda - Hindu ultra-nationalism
Gramsci - religion most influential because only religion can provide organic intellectuals.
Secularisation - rationalisation/disenchantment of the world (Weber)
Criticised with Lyon
Supported rationalisation with Science - Popper and Merton
Criticised with Polyani and Kuhn
Then I did a little bit on Marxism and Feminism (because I ran out of time) and said that they've had a lot of influence in the past Communism/Feminist movement but concluded that Science was the main ideological influence today.

I sorta just wrote down everything that I could think of related to the question. Just gutted I didn't have time to do a big chunk on Marxism/Feminism.
Reply 514
Original post by fxyz
How have you already got 252 UMS? Have you already done Crime and Deviance?

Yeahh haha our college does the bigger units first (in Jan) then the smaller units in June, makes more sense really :smile: So I did Crime & Deviance in Jan and Religion today. Dead worried though cause I got A in Families and Households, A in Crime and Deviance and B in Education & Research Methods but I felt like today went horribly. Really wanted an A overall but ohwell! ahah
Reply 515
Same! I did:

Cosmopolitanism and New Age spirituality/Fundamentalism (Giddens)
Nanda - Hindu ultra-nationalism
Gramsci - religion most influential because only religion can provide organic intellectuals.
Secularisation - rationalisation/disenchantment of the world (Weber)
Criticised with Lyon
Supported rationalisation with Science - Popper and Merton
Criticised with Polyani and Kuhn
Then I did a little bit on Marxism and Feminism (because I ran out of time) and said that they've had a lot of influence in the past Communism/Feminist movement but concluded that Science was the main ideological influence today.

I sorta just wrote down everything that I could think of related to the question. Just gutted I didn't have time to do a big chunk on Marxism/Feminism.

ah glad, i thought i done it wrong :smile: i did a bit on social change as well and civil religion (so is influential) and a bit on marginalisation (Weber, Norris and inglehart)- is only important to marginal groups
Reply 516
Not necessarily, they change the conversion to UMS based on the grade boundaries set for that paper. For example, in January, I got 41/60 = 54.67 UMS but I actually got 57 UMS. They change it all the time based on how difficult the paper was.

Ah okay, that makes more sense :smile: thanks! Didn't know they don't decide the UMS until the grade boundaries are decided etc.

Just hoping for the best cause so far I've got AAB for the three topics so I'm on a C altogether... it's so confusing! haha
Im feeling very worried about the 33 marker. I chose the third one and began with the science as a belief system debate including popper, khun, merton, interpretivists, lyotard etc. I criticed some of these with general things including some functionalism and then went on to talk about ideology mentioning marxism and feminism and gramsci and mannhiem, i also mentioned believing without belonging and bruces technological advances.. but everybody else seems to have wrote different things to me :/
Original post by BeckK
Nope, i did it to! Couldn't work out question 3 to save my life :smile: what did you write about? I just did everything i knew about sects but i don't know whether it was right :/

I included sects, NRMs, New Age and cults.

Firstly I defined sects using Troeltsh, defined cults using Nieburh and then I looked at Wallis' classification of NRM's. Then I also looked at Stark and Bainbridge's classificiation of cults. I wrote about why people join sects, e.g. marginalisation, deprivation and social change, and also how Niebuhr thinks all sects are short lived. I evaluated this with Wilson and how he distinguishes between conversionalist and adventist sects. Then I ended it with Heelas.
There are a few things I've missed out I think - I can't remember everything now; it's been a long day!

I was gonna evaluate it against some other theories and maybe put in a bit of secularisation but I ran out of time. I evaluated everything I wrote down, so I hope I did well.
Reply 519
for the 33 marker (ideological influence) i spoke heavily about how USA still heavily influenced by religion however there is a swing towards politics being the main influence, as more evident with obama coming to power as he did not put the same emphasis on religion as bush.

also spoke about god and globalisation (nanda) and how capitalism and science are making way. did say however that people were becoming more religious.

urmmmm durkheim and and the religious revival as well. can;t remmeber rest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending