The Student Room Group

SCLY3 Beliefs in Society June 2012 Thread

Hey,

Is anyone else on here doing this paper in June? If so, how's unit going? I have yet to start revising (damn my procrastination....we haven't finished the course yet though). I'm quite worried, finding it much more difficult than SCLY1 last year!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,

I'm doing it too :tongue: i'ts going ok so far I think, not done any tests yet so not entierly sure lol Starting revision as of today because I said I would start in easter hols and my tutor yelled at me for not revising yet :s-smilie: We haven't finished yet either, done all the theories of religion, secularilisation debate and still got the social change, religious organisations and social distribution left to do!

Tbh i'm finding it ok because compared to unit 4 crime and deviance paper we just did in Jan there is nowhere near as much content to learn for this exam :] I need an A in this subject for uni though, I think im on target so far!

Well hope you can find the motivation to revise soon and i'm sure you will be fine in the end :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by EviEl
Hey,

I'm doing it too :tongue: i'ts going ok so far I think, not done any tests yet so not entierly sure lol Starting revision as of today because I said I would start in easter hols and my tutor yelled at me for not revising yet :s-smilie: We haven't finished yet either, done all the theories of religion, secularilisation debate and still got the social change, religious organisations and social distribution left to do!

Tbh i'm finding it ok because compared to unit 4 crime and deviance paper we just did in Jan there is nowhere near as much content to learn for this exam :] I need an A in this subject for uni though, I think im on target so far!

Well hope you can find the motivation to revise soon and i'm sure you will be fine in the end :smile:

Ah, C&D's a killer! How did it go for you? I'm doing the two units alongside each other so I've got both of the exams in June. Yeah, there is definitely less content in this one. :smile:

We've got some of secularisation left to do, plus stuff on religion and globalisation and something else that I'm not entirely sure of because I wasn't paying attention :tongue:

Aw, hopefully! I'm sure you will too :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hey guys,
I did this paper in january and did well I found that there was a website that actually motivated me to revise cause half the work was done for me :colone:

This is the link,i think you have to sign up but its free: http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/subjects/sociology

Honestly this is really good cause its other students who have done reision guides or documents which are shortened down cause the text book kinda drags things out! Hope this helps :smile:
Remember everything interlinks!x
Reply 4
It was! So much info to learn for it xD but I must have done something right haha I got a very unexpected A 112/120 :biggrin: Good luck with them both, i'm sure you can do it with enough preperation and revision :smile:

Haha sounds like us then still got quite abit to do, hopefully will finish in time because we are supposed to finish college for ever (except exams) on 31st may but I suspect we won't have finished sociology by then.

Well I must admit so far I have made a plan of what I need to revise but not ach revised :/ just finding the time :tongue: I have 2 days free now though so surely I will get some done then :smile:

:O ooh I used that website for unit 4 :biggrin: it was amazing all the powerpoints,cue cards and notes readily available (I used them as templates and re wrote them etc)
Reply 5
Im doing the intensive course and i have to do education , C&D and religion -__- the revision is killing me lol.
Reply 6
Original post by RMW1994
Hey guys,
I did this paper in january and did well I found that there was a website that actually motivated me to revise cause half the work was done for me :colone:

This is the link,i think you have to sign up but its free: http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/subjects/sociology

Honestly this is really good cause its other students who have done reision guides or documents which are shortened down cause the text book kinda drags things out! Hope this helps :smile:
Remember everything interlinks!x

Thanks for that :smile: I'll have a look at the resources!

@EviEl - well done - it must feel good to get it outta the way!

Hopefully we'll all do well and get what we need :biggrin:
Reply 7
The beliefs paper doesn't look too bad in comparison to the C&D paper, which there's just way too much for. It annoys me that secularisation was last year, that question would have been lovely =[
Reply 8
oooohh.. am I the only one who prefers C+D? I think its probably because my teacher for religion is CRAP so I'm pretty much doing this on my own. Anyone got the January 2012 paper? Or know what questions came up? I'm trying to come up with predictions based on previous exam papers even though its slightly risky but I've realised that religious organisations has come up twice since the new spec started so my revision is going to be done bearing that in mind. If anyone has the 2012 paper do post it! :smile:
Reply 9
Does anyone know how to structure 18 and 33 mark essays ? Anyone have some examples of a good essay?
Reply 10
I Think Unit 3 exam will be much easier, but the questions are sometimes phrased weirdly, so you have to really think about what they're asking you to write about. Plus most of the topics are linked which makes it just a little harder tbh.
Does anyone have predictions yet? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by C3S
The beliefs paper doesn't look too bad in comparison to the C&D paper, which there's just way too much for. It annoys me that secularisation was last year, that question would have been lovely =[

I couldn't agree more :frown: secularisation is the one thing I would've been fairly confident writing an essay on. If it's something on social groups...I think I'll have a nervous breakdown in the exam. I despise the social groups questions!

I haven't got any predictions yet but I've ruled out secularisation :frown: if anyone does have predictions, please do post!
Reply 12
Do you not think secularisation will come up? My teachers were saying it is a popular question, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't rule it out in terms of revising it cause you can link it into other questions :smile:.

So, what do people think may pop up?
How much revision have you done etc? :smile:
Does anyone have any solid notes for the postmodernity? And can you send them to me please.. My notes don't make any sense and are very long winded! Thanksss!
Reply 14
Hey guys, I am doing it too, definitely better than c and d. I have a test in two days and need heLp on a question plz...
The growth and influence of religious fundamentalism across the world challenges the claim that contemporary society has become more secular.í
To what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view of contemporary religious belief and practice?
Please could someone give me a few points for and against these. Or even just explain what it requires.
Thankz
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
I'm doing this test aswell. Does anybody have any ideas or predictions as to what MAY OR MAY NOT come up :smile: what are your teachers/advisors recommemndibg that you know the most :smile: Thanks :smile:
Reply 16
Well my teacher said science as a belief system
Original post by Sana210693
Well my teacher said science as a belief system

I will be distraught if this comes up. Does anyone have any good notes or essay plans for this question please? :biggrin:
Reply 18
can someone please explain to me what on earth the sacred and profane is? Functionalist theories of religion - thanks!
Reply 19
Original post by fxyz
can someone please explain to me what on earth the sacred and profane is? Functionalist theories of religion - thanks!

The sacred are things that are transcendent, so like not part of the mundane everyday things - they inspire feelings of awe and wonder.

The Profane are just ordinary things with no extraordinary significance

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending