The Student Room Group

What's it like living in East Sussex?

Scroll to see replies

I hear it's great if you're into cows and lawns!
Reply 21
Original post by louiegy
Yeah I do love the fact that it is by the sea. Although the water is not particularly great for swimming it is still great to be able to breath the clean sea air.

I think it all depends what you want from the place you live mate. I would say Lewes or Brighton are the only interesting places to live in E Sussex unless you want a proper country town.

That said if you are extremely driven by your career then London is more than likely the only place you should be. I've seen far too many Londoners move down to Brighton only to find it frustrating and eventually move back up.

Louie

Oh OK, thanks ... I have heard East Sussex is a really expensive place to live though :frown: Well not as much as London but certainly it's like the wealthiest place in the UK on average :colondollar:

I come from a very low-income family but I am at university and am moving to London when I graduate so hopefully I will earn enough to live in East Sussex one day :redface: It just seems like a nice place to raise a family (I am only 19 yet thinking about this stuff :sigh:).
It depends on what town you live in. I live in Hastings and it can be quite nice, the seaside, the old town has a lot of character and is really pretty, but on the other hand it is becoming a bit more dodgey, mostly in the evenings, although the drinks are cheap :tongue: Probably explains why there are quite a few fights will all the deals though. I'd say its a cheaper place to live, but then again Hastings is one of the poorest towns in Sussex. There are a lot better places though.

I visit Brighton quite a lot though as the train journey isn't too far and I love it there! If you want to move to East Sussex one day and want to live somewhere nice, a seaside town and with plenty to do, then Brighton is the place. The nightlife is decent, its unique, I'm a big fan of the lanes.. alternative and bright. Plenty of shops and the city itself isn't that big, so its accessible. If you're a vegetarian, like vegetarian food or know any vegetarians they have a few nice vegetarian resturaunts. It has a good range of different types of resturaunts though, including a Japanese one :smile: Brighton is also I would say the most open of the Sussex towns/cities and its quite ecological :smile:

In terms of nice scenic places, I'd say Rye is a nice place to go to, small, has some nice pubs, a lot of character, pretty and nice and peaceful. Johnny Depp has a holiday home there :tongue:

Lewis is a nice looking town too. :smile:

Also, some of the views around Beachyhead area are really nice, with all the chalk clifts.
Some little countryside towns are pretty too, nice to go to for lunch and some country walks, but not much to then apart from that.
Original post by gemini89
Bit of an open question & I'm not sure it's in the right forum! I lived in Brighton for university and worked all around East Sussex so I know it pretty well. Personally I love Brighton, it's a really fun, young and vibrant city. I wasn't such a fan of how busy it got during summer, but being there for spring/autumn made up for it. Along the coast there's some really lovely countryside; the Sussex Downs National Park is lovely for walks and cute village pubs, the Seven Sisters cliffs (including Beachy Head) are beautiful...etc. It's definitely not a cheap place to be however, and it's not amazingly quiet (say, traffic-wise in the rural areas) either. Transport links around Brighton are pretty great though; the 5 pounds day ticket on the main bus company enables you to travel all the way to Eastbourne (20 odd miles) along the coast, and you could go up to Tunbridge Wells too (30 miles). Wouldn't recommend the latter for a day trip though as the bus takes quite a while...

The 12 Eastbourne?Brighton bus is a right nightmare. Especially when its really hot. Also gets really smelly (farting pensioners, chavs/scummers who only have one shower a week)
Reply 24
Original post by DrunkenMaster
The 12 Eastbourne?Brighton bus is a right nightmare. Especially when its really hot. Also gets really smelly (farting pensioners, chavs/scummers who only have one shower a week)

Yeah it's not that great during the day on weekends for sure - especially if it's a hot one. Everyone on the coast seems to be on it during those days! During the week it's generally pretty good, I used to take it to work and back at all the time, including weekends (I worked in Seaford).
Reply 25
Original post by thirstysailor
West Sussex is significantly better.
I would second this after having lived in both.

<3 x
Reply 26
Original post by Eunuch
It just seems like a nice place to raise a family (I am only 19 yet thinking about this stuff :sigh:).

Eunuch...don't you think it might be difficult for you to have kids?

Just kidding :rolleyes:

East Sussex is lovely. My dad lived there for the last 17 years or so, near Uckfield, and I lived in West Sussex with my mum near Haywards Heath. It is the perfect place to raise children! The countryside is beautiful and there are loads of nice old houses and pretty villages.

You're right as well, it is perfect for commuting to London. Although a word of warning, from my experience the rail network is terrible, but that might just my bad luck.
Beautiful county. Eastbourne and Brighton are great when the weathers hot (can be bleak the rest of the year). Lewes is charming. Hastings and Newhaven are dumps. Thing about sussex is the high cost of living (as well as many of the available jobs being minimum wage). Aggressive beggars (not having a go at genuinley homeless people-just scumbags who waste their dole and want more money for booze) Eastbourne, Brighton and Hastings are particuarly bad for that. Leisure/living facilties appear to be only geared towards babyboomer pensioners, tourists and foreign students (again Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings are bad for this). NIMBY babyboomers. Rip off water rates. Increase in street homelessness over past 6 years (wonder if London Olympics have anything to do with that). Shortage of jobs. Shortage of competetive rates in shops.
Reply 28
Original post by LETSJaM
This.

There are pockets of youthfulness but a large % of people are old. :biggrin:

<3 x

In eastbourne anyway...

Quick Reply

Latest