The Student Room Group

AS Aspects of narrative exam 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pennyy
thank you so much! I've attached one I did for Chapter 3 :smile: could I possibly ask you for help on Auden's poetry? I'm lost, and have barely any notes for O where are you going, if I could tell you, and O what is that sound!

Thank you too! :h: and I'll type up my notes on those poems soon - it's no problem, pretty good revision for me to go over it all anyway so you're helping me too :tongue:
Reply 101
Original post by Morganb804
Ooooh... A fellow The Road studier; I hate how almost no one else seems to be doing it.... there's so little revision material/ study support available... Definitely leaving it for the section B question!

Yey a fellow road studier! I know there's hardly anything on it and hardly any past paper questions on seeing as its just came on to the syllabus! Same! Although I did some practice questions and got 14 out of 21 on both. However my mock when doing the road in section B was much better I can put with a B nearly an A which was a good surprise!
Reply 102
For Section B Does anybody have any ideas for a question on 'voices'

- can we talk about narrator?

The rime of the anicnet mariner - ?
Pride and Prejudice - ?
Rosseti Poetry - ??

Thanks
Reply 103
Yeah, I think narrator fits into the idea of voices. A lot of the things I have to say about voice in section b are to do with narrators, so if it doesn't fit in and a question about voices comes up, I shall CRY.
Reply 104
Original post by Sit Down!
Yeah, I think narrator fits into the idea of voices. A lot of the things I have to say about voice in section b are to do with narrators, so if it doesn't fit in and a question about voices comes up, I shall CRY.

Could you please elaborate on what voice is? I think a lot of people would find it helpful! :smile:
Reply 105
HOLY **** 5 DAYS BEFORE THE EXAM...

guy's im studying hardy, auden the kite runner and gatsby

I'm most likely to study a poem for section A and it is most likely going to be hardy, im not sure what poem of his came up last year as it isnt online! from looking at previous papers i know either Nuetral tones, The voice, At castle boterel, At an inn or Waterfall are going to come up, can anyone correct me wrong?
Reply 106
Original post by SagarG
HOLY **** 5 DAYS BEFORE THE EXAM...

guy's im studying hardy, auden the kite runner and gatsby

I'm most likely to study a poem for section A and it is most likely going to be hardy, im not sure what poem of his came up last year as it isnt online! from looking at previous papers i know either Nuetral tones, The voice, At castle boterel, At an inn or Waterfall are going to come up, can anyone correct me wrong?

I'm doing Hardy too :smile: The Voice came up in January.. the 3 poems that haven't come up yet since January 2009 are Under The Waterfall, At an Inn and Neutral Tones :smile:
Reply 107
seriously wanting to die right about now... ahhhhh
Reply 108
Does anybody have any notes on The Kite Runner?
I think i'm going to be doing Great Gatsby for section A, the poems are what i'm least looking forward to!
Reply 109
Ok, I think I've officially just entered panic mode!
I'm just praying a decent quetion comes up on Part B, because otherwise I'm doomed.
What 'voices' are used in the Tennyson poetry? And whats are people going to put in general if voices comes up?
Reply 110
Original post by Tweak6
Ok, I think I've officially just entered panic mode!
I'm just praying a decent quetion comes up on Part B, because otherwise I'm doomed.
What 'voices' are used in the Tennyson poetry? And whats are people going to put in general if voices comes up?

ahhh me too! I don't even know what people mean by voices. I guess I'd write about the Choric song?
For Section A, where is says 'Write about the ways in which the story is told', do I just have to talk about things like narrative perspective, place & setting, stanza form & structure etc?
Reply 112
Original post by Flyteryder
For Section A, where is says 'Write about the ways in which the story is told', do I just have to talk about things like narrative perspective, place & setting, stanza form & structure etc?

yeah :smile:
Reply 113
I've noticed that the questions never repeat however in the Jan 2012 My Last Duchess was repeated. Now I know Jessie Cameron hasn't come up yet for Christina Rossetti and although I predict and definitely want it to come up in the May paper , I'm scared another poem which was done previously is going to be repeated. The examiners definitely want to trick us !
What do you guys think?
Reply 114
Original post by Flyteryder

Yes but my teacher said to make sure you say what is happening in the story at the same time, basically combine a short summary with the stuff about narrative aspects and you'll be fine.
Original post by NicoleMae
I've noticed that the questions never repeat however in the Jan 2012 My Last Duchess was repeated. Now I know Jessie Cameron hasn't come up yet for Christina Rossetti and although I predict and definitely want it to come up in the May paper , I'm scared another poem which was done previously is going to be repeated. The examiners definitely want to trick us !
What do you guys think?

They had to repeat a Browning poem in Jan 2012 because there are only 6 Browning poems in the anthology, and there had already been 6 exams. There are 7 Rosetti poems, and assuming that 6 have already been done, AQA will be expecting that students studying Rosetti are only going to revise the one that hasn't come up, so they may well repeat one to the exam isn't too easy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 116
Original post by cbotts
Hi guys,
I'm doing this exam on 'The Great Gatsby', 'The Kite Runner' and poetry from Auden and Hardy.
I'm feeling fairly confident on Gatsby, but struggling on how/what to revise for the poetry?!
Anybody have any ideas?!

I found this on the internet and I started filling out some parts for Miss Gee. But the rest is done by someone else (sorry don't know who to credit!)...
Reply 117
Can someone read this and just point out whatevers wrong with this or whether its decent. Its a question about the significance of resolutions in texts.

Throughout the novel, Hortense and Gilbert display a clear lack of love and bonding which remains until the near-end. In chapter 51, when Hortense fails at being accepted a teacher as she had dearly hoped, Gilbert comes to brighten her spirits up by showing her around the sights of London she had ‘seen in books’. He succeeds at making her happy and in this chapter Hortense demonstrates a softer side to herself a side which initiates the start of their emotional relationship. Further on in chapter 56, Gilbert takes Hortense to see their new house in Finsbury Park and this also ignites Hortense’s softer side. Upon seeing the ‘good room’ they can ‘fix up’ with just ‘a little hard work’, Hortense is reminded of her ‘golden’ English dreams of a house (as repeated in the first chapter) with ‘a bell at the door… (that goes) ding-a-ling, ding-a-ling’. This instantly brings out the loving side of her to the extent that she later invited Gilbert to the bed and initiates physical intimacy something Gilbert longed for. Thus, the house and the sights are allegorical for a resolution to their previous disliking of each other and for their new beginning.

THANKS IN ADVANCE :biggrin: :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Can somebody please give my some good Birdsong quotes? We never got taught it :frown:
Original post by MushyMorshy
I know it's a bit early (or not?) but I thought I'd start this thread to find out any tips or revision stuff people are doing to prepare their English exam.

I'm doing 'The Great Gatsby', 'The God of Small Things', 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner' and W.H. Auden poem.

I'm thinking of doing 'The Great Gatsby' for Section A. I'm predicting Chapter 6 or 7 will come up, since those are the only ones that haven't come up yet.

I'm doing The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and a Tennyson poem.

For the books, reading the surrounding context notes, sparknotesing the chapter summaries (not enough time to reread the entire text) and looking back over my class notes.

For the poem (I chose Lady of Shallot), basically the same thing, only rereading the entire poem instead of using sparknotes.

Very worried about the AO2... I'm better suited to interpretation/themes than language/structure. Any advice? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending