The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread and I haven't heard back from UCL either. I was just wondering whether anyone knew how highly UCL would regard an applicant who has a 4th subject that is not science (i.e not physics)? Because on their website, it says they favour applicants with a contrasting subject- I do physics and I really hope this is not a disadvantage...:frown:
Reply 1981
Original post by kaboodle10
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread and I haven't heard back from UCL either. I was just wondering whether anyone knew how highly UCL would regard an applicant who has a 4th subject that is not science (i.e not physics)? Because on their website, it says they favour applicants with a contrasting subject- I do physics and I really hope this is not a disadvantage...:frown:

I very much doubt that you will be rejected purely because you took A-Level physics, that slight preference for a contrasting subject is nothing to get worked up about
Original post by j.t-Jack
I very much doubt that you will be rejected purely because you took A-Level physics, that slight preference for a contrasting subject is nothing to get worked up about

Thanks! I really hope so. I'm just a little concerned because most of the people I know who've got interviews have a contrasting subject. Ah well, I guess only time will tell ...
Original post by kaboodle10
Thanks! I really hope so. I'm just a little concerned because most of the people I know who've got interviews have a contrasting subject. Ah well, I guess only time will tell ...

Don't worry! We were all asking each other about it at interview and only 3 out of 20 or so of us had a contrasting subject, everyone else was taking the bog standard biology, chemistry, maths :smile: I'm sure you'll do just fine!! :biggrin:
Original post by sebi
Can we know the rest of your stats please???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heyy, yhh sure, my stats are:
GCSE's - 9A*S and 2A's
AS: AAAAA
A2: already have one A* since did entire maths A level in year 12
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A*A*
Work Experience - 1 week hospital, 2 - weeks GP
BMAT - 5.6, 5.3, 3A

good luck to all applicants waiting for interview!!!
x
Original post by Katiehodge
Don't worry! We were all asking each other about it at interview and only 3 out of 20 or so of us had a contrasting subject, everyone else was taking the bog standard biology, chemistry, maths :smile: I'm sure you'll do just fine!! :biggrin:

Sorry I meant the 4th subject at AS, not A2 choices....btw did you get an offer? I can't quite remember haha
May I ask, is there anyone with a January 30th Interview?! x
Reply 1987
Original post by Bubblezzzz
Heyy, yhh sure, my stats are:
GCSE's - 9A*S and 2A's
AS: AAAAA
A2: already have one A* since did entire maths A level in year 12
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A*A*
Work Experience - 1 week hospital, 2 - weeks GP
BMAT - 5.6, 5.3, 3A

good luck to all applicants waiting for interview!!!
x

Hey, congratulations on the interview. I am a bit confused though. I thought you said you were an undergraduate? Do you mean you are applying to be an undergraduate?
OHH sorry, yhh i meant to say that I am applying to be an undergraduate!! sorry, I am in year 13, my badd :smile: x
Reply 1989
Original post by Bubblezzzz
OHH sorry, yhh i meant to say that I am applying to be an undergraduate!! sorry, I am in year 13, my badd :smile: x

No worries. Makes me feel a bit better that I still haven't heard. Good luck for your interview :-)
Original post by Moo91
No worries. Makes me feel a bit better that I still haven't heard. Good luck for your interview :-)

Thank you very much! I wish you all the best too I'm sure you will get an interview soon x
Reply 1991
when do the start giving out pre interview rejections?
Reply 1992
So any other gap year students not heard back yet? Bit worried as I swear it says gap year students are interviewed in Jan? (Ahh!)
Reply 1993
Original post by Rachyy
So any other gap year students not heard back yet? Bit worried as I swear it says gap year students are interviewed in Jan? (Ahh!)

I'm a gap year and haven't heard either, constantly alternating between unrealistic optimism and suicidal pessimism :frown: a lot of gap year applicants have been interviewed and a lot of have been rejected. I have absolutely no idea what to make of that
I'm a gap year and haven't heard either, constantly alternating between unrealistic optimism and suicidal pessimism :frown: a lot of gap year applicants have been interviewed and a lot of have been rejected. I have absolutely no idea what to make of that

Do you know if a lot of school leavers have also been rejected? Or do they normally get rejected later on in the process?
Reply 1995
Original post by smiles123123
Do you know if a lot of school leavers have also been rejected? Or do they normally get rejected later on in the process?

I know there have been a sizeable amount of posts on here about school leavers being rejected pre interview, not sure if there have been a lot though
Reply 1996

Oh! None of my friends on gap years applying for medicine have applied to UCL so I didn't realise rejections for gappies had been sent out yet, I'm just glad that I haven't been rejected for now!
Reply 1997
Original post by Rachyy
Oh! None of my friends on gap years applying for medicine have applied to UCL so I didn't realise rejections for gappies had been sent out yet, I'm just glad that I haven't been rejected for now!

I still haven't heard from anywhere yet so am starting to get slightly desperate for an interview now :frown:
Hello, anybody interviewed on 24th Jan received a reply yet? Apparently they contact successful applicants within 24 hours and unsuccessful after that- any validity to this?
Reply 1999
Original post by Anhedonia
Hello, anybody interviewed on 24th Jan received a reply yet? Apparently they contact successful applicants within 24 hours and unsuccessful after that- any validity to this?

That's not true. I know someone who waited over a week for a response and she was successful :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending