The Student Room Group

Parents earn enough to not qualify for larger loan - but wont help out

I'm sure that this topic has been discussed many times before, but I used the search function and searched google for quite a while and couldn't find relevant information. I couldn't work out any good specific keywords to use or anything. Sorry if this is a common question that everyone is bored of answering!

As I say in the title, my parents earn enough for me to only qualify for the smallest maintenance loan. However, they are refusing to pay any money towards me going to university.

Currently I have a job and am working a lot of hours to save up money for living so my maintenance loan can go on my accommodation. The course that I am (hopefully) going to be taking also extends in to the summer and I will have only a few weeks of time off the entire year. It also involves shifts at a hospital which cycle, meaning what free time I do have will change in a manner that makes getting a regular job very difficult.

I don't think that I will be able to save enough money to fund all of my years at university. Saving enough for the first year will not be a problem, but even for the second year it may be difficult. Is there any way to get a larger student loan despite my parents' high earnings? Perhaps declaring independence some how?

Other possibilities I have considered are:

Begging the bank for a loan. I don't want to do this particularly because of interest.

Working for a call centre from home while at university. I may have to do this as it seem like the only job with flexible hours that I can work. Ideally I will not have to resort to this as my course will be very time consuming, but I recognise that it may be my only option.

Not go to university. Obviously this is the option I am trying to avoid.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help here.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by roast cat
Perhaps declaring independence some how?

You would have to be over 25 or self supporting for the last 3 years or married or have a child.
Reply 2
Thanks for the prompt response! I guess I will have to contact Student Finance, as I probably should have before making this thread

I feel like there must be a way through this, though. It doesn't make sense for the government to assume your parents are willing to pay. I feel privileged that my parents have money and am thankful for that, but purely in the context of student loans isn't this policy a bit discriminatory? For my bank account, my parents refusing to pay is effectively the same as my parents being unable to pay. Why the discrepancy?
Work and be thankful for the comfortable lifestyle your parents have given you so far, if you were from a broken home and under the 25k limit chances are you wouldn't even be considering university anyway! See this is a chance to break away from your middle class chains. :biggrin:

Edit: Come on people, are you really disagreeing that less poor than rich people go to university? Show me how many 16 year olds drop out of independent education at 16 to do a carpentry course? Compare that to the number of children who drop out of state education then can't even get an apprenticeship and sign on.

Double Edit: Lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I certainly am thankful for the comfortable lifestyle. Looking like I will need to defer and keep working then. Thanks a lot, both of you. :smile:
Original post by marshymarsh
Work and be thankful for the comfortable lifestyle your parents have given you so far, if you were from a broken home and under the 25k limit chances are you wouldn't even be considering university anyway! See this is a chance to break away from your middle class chains. :biggrin:

Not true.

This is a pretty small-minded response. A person should not be punished for having rich parents any more than they should be punished for having poor parents. Equal opportunities actually means allowing people from all backgrounds the same chances to succeed; it doesn't mean giving those with poorer backgrounds help and ignoring those with richer parents. I think you've fallen into the trap of assuming that 'fairness' means normalising opportunities over the course of a person's, so that having a privileged childhood means a person deserves less than others for the rest of their life in order to 'balance things out'.
Original post by Chumbaniya
This is a pretty small-minded response. A person should not be punished for having rich parents any more than they should be punished for having poor parents. Equal opportunities actually means allowing people from all backgrounds the same chances to succeed; it doesn't mean giving those with poorer backgrounds help and ignoring those with richer parents. I think you've fallen into the trap of assuming that 'fairness' means normalising opportunities over the course of a person's, so that having a privileged childhood means a person deserves less than others for the rest of their life in order to 'balance things out'.

I think you fail to realise equal opportunities in the respect you define fails to recognise that those who have lived through a 'poor' upbringing are less likely to even consider going to university and are even less likely to get in (compare the percentage of students at top universities from Independent/State schools to the actual percentage of school division). Therefore financial incentives and the culture of awarding grants to those from poor family incomes rather than having a blanket loan given to all students regardless of background promotes equal opportunities more so. You need money to live, for the most part rich parents are compassionate enough to support their children through university (this case is exceptional), and poor students need the money more and the fairest thing to do in this case is give them that money to better themselves.

I also think you are rather brash to dismiss my small little quip (mostly joking) as a 'small minded response', I don't see these part of the forums a chance to exercise my thinking prowess nor do I seek to promote debate and discussion. I was merely using my own perverse sense of humour to make light of the situation the OP finds themselves in. Congratulations on derailing a post in an effort to demonstrate to those on TSR how excellent you are at thinking and dishing out artful insight to less mentally able members.

TL;DR Stop being a pompous ass and get back on topic.

Back on topic, show your parents this post from me, someone who is at university and realises how expensive living away from home can be.

OI PARENTS STOP BEING INCOMPASSIONATE BASTARDS AND SUPPORT YOUR SPAWN IN ATTEMPTING TO BETTER THEMSELVES.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think you fail to realise equal opportunities in the respect you define fails to recognise that those who have lived through a 'poor' upbringing are less likely to even consider going to university and are even less likely to get in (compare the percentage of students at top universities from Independent/State schools to the actual percentage of school division). Therefore financial incentives and the culture of awarding grants to those from poor family incomes rather than having a blanket loan given to all students regardless of background promotes equal opportunities more so. You need money to live, for the most part rich parents are compassionate enough to support their children through university (this case is exceptional), and poor students need the money more and the fairest thing to do in this case is give them that money to better themselves.

I also think you are rather brash to dismiss my small little quip (mostly joking) as a 'small minded response', I don't see these part of the forums a chance to exercise my thinking prowess nor do I seek to promote debate and discussion. I was merely using my own perverse sense of humour to make light of the situation the OP finds themselves in. Congratulations on derailing a post in an effort to demonstrate to those on TSR how excellent you are at thinking and dishing out artful insight to less mentally able members.

TL;DR Stop being a pompous ass and get back on topic.

Perhaps the expression 'small-minded' was rather strong, but it bears remembering that you were dismissive of the original poster before I was dismissive of you. Not that this anything like justifies the ad-hominem attacks contained in the quoted post, of course. I am a little confused that you would include so much material unrelated to the topic designed to make me look inferior, the subject of which is that I am derailing the topic and that I am attempting to make you look inferior. Of course I won't continue the discussion on these lines as it will begin to overshadow the concerns of the original poster.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you that students from poorer backgrounds are under-represented at universities - particularly those that are most academically selective. But that has nothing to do with the issue raised by the original poster. There are no individuals from poorer families involved here - only a young man who may not be able to attend university because the government expects his parents to provide support that they will not provide.

It is of course anecdotal, but having received the maximum government grant for the majority of my degree, my financial situation was vastly more comfortable during my university career than that of friends whose parents earned over the limit for additional grant/loan but did not contribute financially to their degrees.
Perhaps the expression 'small-minded' was rather strong, but it bears remembering that you were dismissive of the original poster before I was dismissive of you. Not that this anything like justifies the ad-hominem attacks contained in the quoted post, of course. I am a little confused that you would include so much material unrelated to the topic designed to make me look inferior, the subject of which is that I am derailing the topic and that I am attempting to make you look inferior. Of course I won't continue the discussion on these lines as it will begin to overshadow the concerns of the original poster.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you that students from poorer backgrounds are under-represented at universities - particularly those that are most academically selective. But that has nothing to do with the issue raised by the original poster. There are no individuals from poorer families involved here - only a young man who may not be able to attend university because the government expects his parents to provide support that they will not provide.

It is of course anecdotal, but having received the maximum government grant for the majority of my degree, my financial situation was vastly more comfortable during my university career than that of friends whose parents earned over the limit for additional grant/loan but did not contribute financially to their degrees.

I was being ironic in my post.
I have no relevent reponce, but you seem like a lovely greatfull person, i'm sure you'l fiure it out!
Also, depending on the university you go too, i know you would hate it, but you can get some REALLY cheap accomidation, particularly if you go private to save some pennies!

So I can assume you agree that public schools should be abolished then? :smile:

Your final statement is absolutely ridiculous. No one thinks like that. People with rich parents are by no means 'ignored', they have a massive advantage over those from working class backgrounds. How many millionaires do you think went to state schools? How many people in the very top jobs went to state schools? How many cabinet members went to state schools? Etc etc.

I feel sorry for the OP, but in general middle class students are much much better off than working class students when it comes to education. Please don't try to pretend otherwise.
Original post by SleepySheep
So I can assume you agree that public schools should be abolished then? :smile:

Your final statement is absolutely ridiculous. No one thinks like that. People with rich parents are by no means 'ignored', they have a massive advantage over those from working class backgrounds. How many millionaires do you think went to state schools? How many people in the very top jobs went to state schools? How many cabinet members went to state schools? Etc etc.

I feel sorry for the OP, but in general middle class students are much much better off than working class students when it comes to education. Please don't try to pretend otherwise.

Why must all of my posts in this thread be so wilfully misinterpreted? It's quite frustrating.

Allow me to be clear: I don't think that middle class students are better off than poorer students when it comes to attending universities. I never stated, implied, or even hinted at this. In this isolated case of an individual student struggling with one particular aspect of the university experience (his finances) he is at a disadvantage compared to students who receive a government grant. For this reason I resent the suggestion that because his parents are better off than some, his entirely legitimate concerns should be ignored.

I'm not sure what relevance public schools have to this discussion, but if it's of vital importance, my view would be that whilst I dislike the public school system and would prefer to live in a society without them, abolishing public schools would be difficult and dramatic, so we should focus on allowing brighter students the opportunity to excel in state schools and (perhaps more importantly) seek to alter university application criteria to favour students with the most potential rather than those who have been afforded the opportunity (often by attending fee-paying schools) to build a more impressive resume.
Why must all of my posts in this thread be so wilfully misinterpreted? It's quite frustrating.

Allow me to be clear: I don't think that middle class students are better off than poorer students when it comes to attending universities. I never stated, implied, or even hinted at this. In this isolated case of an individual student struggling with one particular aspect of the university experience (his finances) he is at a disadvantage compared to students who receive a government grant. For this reason I resent the suggestion that because his parents are better off than some, his entirely legitimate concerns should be ignored.

I'm not sure what relevance public schools have to this discussion, but if it's of vital importance, my view would be that whilst I dislike the public school system and would prefer to live in a society without them, abolishing public schools would be difficult and dramatic, so we should focus on allowing brighter students the opportunity to excel in state schools and (perhaps more importantly) seek to alter university application criteria to favour students with the most potential rather than those who have been afforded the opportunity (often by attending fee-paying schools) to build a more impressive resume.

Huh? I thought you said the opposite. Now I'm confused. :lolwut:

If you were just talking about this isolated case then okay, but it seemed as though you were talking about rich and poor students as a whole in your earlier post.

I brought public schools into the conversation because you were talking about the rich/poor divide in education, and public schools are a pretty good example of one aspect of it.
You're not the only one, OP. This is one of the many problems with student loans - they generate expectations (rightly or wrongly) and assume that everbody's supposedly 'rich' parents can or are willing to support them financially at university.

You could start off with an interest free overdraft (you could probably get £1000+ in your first year), along with the other suggestions on this thread.
Original post by Zottula
It is perfectly doable and I'm sure you will find a way. I manage on my loan and from money I earned from working part time during college. Just make sure you opt for cheap accommodation and budget carefully. Taking a year out to work might be an option.

The thing is though, living expenses vary vastly across the country so for some it's more "doable" than others.

In Leicester, for example, my friend is paying £90 per week for her ensuite room. I, on the other hand, am paying £130 pw for more or less the same room in Southampton.
Reply 17
Sorry, I've just skim read, but it basically boils down to the fact if your household income is high and your parents don't help you, you're on your own. We've seen many students ask very similar questions, and there literally is no other help out there.

The only other type of student loan is a career development loan, but this is not on the same terms as loans from student finance and usually for courses lasting a maximum of 2 years (usually used for post grad study).

Universities do have hardship funds, but it would be irresponsible of anyone entering uni intending to use this fund long term as its by no way guaranteed.
Reply 18

I couldn't disagree with this anymore.

Divorce is happening among many families from all areas of society. Money doesn't also result in a comfortable lifestyle.
Original post by SleepySheep
Huh? I thought you said the opposite. Now I'm confused. :lolwut:

If you were just talking about this isolated case then okay, but it seemed as though you were talking about rich and poor students as a whole in your earlier post.

I brought public schools into the conversation because you were talking about the rich/poor divide in education, and public schools are a pretty good example of one aspect of it.

There isn't anything in any of my posts that suggests I believe poorer students have a better timing getting into universities that richer students. The reverse is provably the case. I have suggested that, in terms of finances alone, it is entirely possible for students with richer parents who don't contribute to their degree financially to struggle in a way that poorer students who receive a full grant won't (unless they are reckless with their money).

I understand your confusion, as it's easy for the terminology 'rich student' to be applied to both students of personal wealth (who clearly won't struggle) and students with rich parents, who - if they aren't financially supported by said parents - may actually struggle very significantly once they are at university supporting themselves on the basic loan alone. Once you get into a reasonably lengthy discussion on the subject, it's easy to forget that parental wealth and student wealth aren't necessarily related - and indeed in the case of the original poster they aren't.

The reason I feel public schools aren't relevant to the discussion is because they are a factor in the inequality of university places offered, whereas financial support is something that affects students while they are at university, but does not influence a university's decision to accept a student.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending