The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grad_dentist
You'll have to ask the girls that.

I'm Muslim and I see girls with hijabs wearing skinny jeans or jeggings, and I think ''What's the point in wearing a hijab?''.

Original post by Chloe xxx
Lol. Loads of muslim women wear make up.

Maybe because it improves their self confidence?

Is that a bad thing to you?

Urrrghhhh.

It shows hypocrisy. You wear a hijab to show that you need men to see you as "sexy hot etc"
But on you as a person.
By wearing LOADS of makeup you are saying, people will judge me on my face and the same above principle will apply.

How people can't see this is beyond me.
Original post by King-Panther
No, mithra is not connected to the old testament...

Zoastrians is a monotheistic religion, so the prophet of that religion could well have been a prophet of god (more than likely)..

Mithra was an archangel in zoastrian mythology. The romans adopted Mithra as a demi god - which probably explains the similarity to the story of jesus stemming from the byzantine and holy roman empire.

In additon babylonian/greek/sumerian religious stories and characters are replicated in some form or another in the OT and bible and quran, do some research , you will see many if not most of the stories have their roots in those from 4000 year old polyeithist religons. this is all common knowledge.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
Mithra was an archangel in zoastrian mythology. The romans adopted Mithra as a demi god - which probably explains the similarity to the story of jesus stemming from the byzantine and holy roman empire.

In additon babylonian/greek/sumerian religious stories and characters are replicated in some form or another in the OT and bible and quran, do some research , you will see many if not most of the stories have their roots in those from 4000 year old polyeithist religons. this is all common knowledge.

Give me some examples of the latter in the Quran.

There isn't any..
Typical Islam trying to install its agenda through appeal to concerned plebs in populist cases

Original post by xXxiKillxXx
There isn't any..

the Qur'an has a story with similarities to the Biblical story of the Tower of Babel In Suras 28:38 and 40:36-37, Pharaoh asks Haman to build him a stone, or clay tower so that he can mount up to heaven and confront the God of Moses. - relates to orignal Etemananki Baylonian tower that probably existed in within baylonain mythology.

Quranic creation of man from a "drop of blood" was originally written in the 6th cent bc Babylonian Enuma Elish tablet

Story of baby moses floated down the nile to escape evil pharoah -Birth of Sargon abandoned to be floated down the Euphrates in a basket to escape death by king

Great flood = Babylonian great flood, greek , roman versions

Noahs ark, adam & eve & tree of life,= Epic of Gilgamesh & Enuma

Cane & Abel = Sumerian story of Emesh and Enten

quranic idea of meteorites arriving on earth = 4000 y/o Sumerian tablets describing metorites colliding with earth and releasing water

story of the first man adam = The tale of Adapa

various other concepts such as virgin birth, resurection, and sacrificing own children stories as well as sciences like embryology, astrology also oringinated from pre islamic religions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Elipsis
Muslims don't float? :wink:

"and Mo Mo said, ye who swimmeth become fisheth, and thoseth who donteth stay humaneth. Also, deatheth to fageths" - Quaran 12:4

Ha. Ha. Ass. :rolleyes:
535388_3671383187595_1365336380_3515534_915926862_n.jpg
MediaBlackout.jpg
Shahid_Kriss_Donald_702106a.jpg

What Islamic vestment can I don for the above victims? Should I consult my local mosque?

Or is there not enough media attention in these cases to interest opportunistic Islam?
But what about all the women that are being forced to wear it, EVERYDAY?

I think they should have chosen to wear a different symbol, one that also represents the opression of women by their strict families wasn't a very good option IMO.
Reply 129
Original post by Clare~Bear
But what about all the women that are being forced to wear it, EVERYDAY?

I think they should have chosen to wear a different symbol, one that also represents the opression of women by their strict families wasn't a very good option IMO.

This. I can guarantee more women in the world are forced to wear full muslim head gear/niqab than are forced to wear very little.

Infact, I've never heard of the latter occurring but have heard plenty of the former.
(edited 12 years ago)
That must be one of the worst things about being a muslim woman. Being unable to swim, or have a proper day at the beach. Theres some things that you just have to wear less clothing to participate in.

They'll swim when they get to heaven.

I don't think not being able to have a swim or a proper day at the beach affects their life significantly. :tongue:
Reply 131
Original post by sevenbooks
They'll swim when they get to heaven.

I don't think not being able to have a swim or a proper day at the beach affects their life significantly. :tongue:

Right.

How do you know that? Are all women mindless drones who all dislike swimming and have the exact same interests?

Sorry, this argument is without merit.
Original post by TRS-T
How many Muslims would wear a Crucifix as a symbol of solidarity?

None.

I think it's because these non-Muslim women are not doing anything wrong or inappropriate (in their religion) by wearing a headscarf for this "symbol of solidarity".

Whereas if Muslim women are to remove their hijab, it'll be sinning (in their religion) so the probability of this happening is much less than non-Muslims donning the headscarf.

The same with wearing the Crucifix too. In their religion, it'll be inappropriate for Muslims to wear so.

That's one of logical reasons I can think of, I guess.:smile:

(oh, and don't just assume that "none" of the Muslims would wear Crucifix)
Right.

How do you know that? Are all women mindless drones who all dislike swimming and have the exact same interests?

Sorry, this argument is without merit.

I'm not arguing. I'm just stating a simple fact.

Will anyone die from not swimming/going to the beach everyday?

I'm just saying it's not an important thing you absolutely have to do to survive.
(Unlike eating, having water to drink, breathing)

Where did the "mindless drones who all dislike swimming and..." come from? :confused:

What does liking or disliking swimming have anything to do with having a mind and being an interesting person?

For those women who do like to swim, obviously they can do so but most of them can't leisurely go to the beach, put on a bikini and just dive in.

(not saying that no Muslims women do this. Some do.)

But to the other women who are unwilling to do so, they can rent a private swimming pool or go to a female friend's house and swim in a secluded area.

The point is, yeah, Muslim women can go swimming, AND if they also want their privacy, planning must be done. If they think it's too troublesome to go through all these obstacles for just a swim, they'll either be a bit upset and dismiss the idea of going for a swim, but still able to go on live their lives normally, or just go down to the beach and risk men looking at their bodies they wanted to keep hidden.

It's their choice really.
(edited 12 years ago)
This. I can guarantee more women in the world are forced to wear full muslim head gear/niqab than are forced to wear very little.

Infact, I've never heard of the latter occurring but have heard plenty of the former.

Precisely. Sure there are women that choose to wear it but god knows how many are forced to. I'd either find it comical or probably plain idiotic at how a symbol of my and many other womens oppression is being used as such a symbol.
Most women in the UK 100 years ago would have agreed that women shouldn't be allowed to vote or hold positions of importance and that men should do everything while they stay inside and cook, clean and bring up the kids.

It's the same principle as that it was only a small minority of women who began campaigning for more womens rights and their number grew from there. Besides even if those Muslim women wanted to wear revealing clothes they wouldn't be allowed too they would be imprisoned maybe even tortured especially in strict muslim countries.
Reply 136
Another thing that will do **** all. It'll all be forgotten about after a few days and everyone will just carry on as normal, as if it never happened in the first place just like with every other idealistic 'symbol of solidarity' or 'campaign' or whatever the **** you want to call it.
It may not even be a hate crime

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/05/shaima-alawadi-iraqi-beaten-death-hate-crime_n_1406798.html

Why do Muslims make things harder for other Muslims!!
Reply 138
Very sweet and thoughtful of them, and for a good cause.

However, I cannot see in 1 million years muslim women going without hijab for a murdered western woman.

Shaima was a western woman.
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
the Qur'an has a story with similarities to the Biblical story of the Tower of Babel In Suras 28:38 and 40:36-37, Pharaoh asks Haman to build him a stone, or clay tower so that he can mount up to heaven and confront the God of Moses. - relates to orignal Etemananki Baylonian tower that probably existed in within baylonain mythology.

Etemananki Baylonian actually existed, so Quran was referring to what actually is.

Quranic creation of man from a "drop of blood" was originally written in the 6th cent bc Babylonian Enuma Elish tablet

Can't find a source for that, that isn't a christian website.

Story of baby moses floated down the nile to escape evil pharoah -Birth of Sargon abandoned to be floated down the Euphrates in a basket to escape death by king

Is that story really in the Quran?

Great flood = Babylonian great flood, greek , roman versions
Noahs ark, adam & eve & tree of life,= Epic of Gilgamesh & Enuma

The first story of a flood is nothing like the story of mosses, it is of Gods and lesser gods, and the Gods created man the help the gods.... However, the story below (The Epic of Gilgameš) is also very different but similar. However, the story came after the time of moses (pbh), thus could have been copied from his teachings (Moses (pbh) being a prophet of Islam, the jews will confirm that).

"The Epic of Gilgameš

The second Babylonian text is the Epic of Gilgameš (text), which was composed in c.1100 BCE"

http://www.livius.org/fa-fn/flood/flood3.html

Best guess for Moses Date of birth is 1526 BC

(google)

The story of Enuma is very different to that of the Quran and Moses is also older.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enûma_Eliš

Cane & Abel = Sumerian story of Emesh and Enten

Story is similar but not the same and actually quite different, god has sex with the earth??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panbabylonism

quranic idea of meteorites arriving on earth = 4000 y/o Sumerian tablets describing metorites colliding with earth and releasing water

Can you show me?

story of the first man adam = The tale of Adapa

Another story after the time of moses (pbh)....

The story is first attested in the Kassite period (14th century BCE).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adapa

various other concepts such as virgin birth, resurection, and sacrificing own children stories as well as sciences like embryology, astrology also oringinated from pre islamic religions.

Just because other people have similar traditions, doesn't mean they copied one another, does it??? The difference is, Mithra and the christian Jesus are identical, with that case its more like spot the difference, and the examples you've given me, its very hard the spot the similarities, if at all any.

I'm afraid you've been reading too many anti-islamic websites, but go ahead and bring your argument.

God sent prophets to all nations on earth,

"And for every nation there is a messenger." (10:47)
"And there is not a people but a warner has gone among them." (35:24)

So, people from different parts of the world may have some truth in their beliefs but because of human corruption, the message has been distorted and deviated. God promised that this will never happen to the message of muhammed (pbh) and it hasn't, the Quran hasn't changed, nor will it.

Surely, if people from different parts of the world have similar ideas, surely there might be some truth in it, like jinns, from far east asia, europe and america, how can these people have the same idea about this creature, if there was no truth in it?

Original post by xXxiKillxXx
There isn't any..

Indeed, check out that guys desperate attempt.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending