The Student Room Group

Choosing between Glasgow School of Art, Dundee and Strathclyde for architecture

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nickvswild
Aye mate I'm from Sydney how are ya. I'm going to do architecture in Strathclyde too in 2017. I got an offer from GSA but I chose to go Strathclyde. I did heaps of research online and both of them really go neck and neck, it's so hard to choose. I went to Glasgow to have a look at the campuses which helped me to make my decision. GSA at the time was under renovation but from what I saw it was only one building and not part of a campus, plus the area looks really dodgy, especially at night. The Strathclyde architecture building is part of a campus and it's pretty big, the studios looks alright as well, and the uni is in a pretty safe location so I went with Strathclyde. These only threads and reviews really scared me though saying Strathclyde is poop, but student surveys said the uni is ****en great so..... see u there mate. Cheers.

My advice is don't touch this course with a barge pole if you are intelligent, logical and need to earn a living. Read my blog http://theappealofarchitecture.blogspot.co.uk/ or read this article http://www.standard.co.uk/news/work/special-report-a-degree-in-architecture-but-all-i-can-get-are-menial-jobs-8159842.html Architecture schools will tell you anything to fill places. Honestly, this course is not safe to study ANYWHERE
Reply 21
Original post by juste_j
Hello,
I've got offers from Strathclyde, Dundee and unconditional offer from Glasgow School of Art. I started thinking about which uni I shall put as my firm and insurance choice.

Dundee (it takes 18th place) is ranked higher in studying architecture than Glasgow School of Art(23) but the latter is more globally recognised (top 60 uni in the world) plus it is a beautiful and historical city that I quite like. What do you think about Strathclyde for architecture?

Could you all give me some advice please? Thanks in advance :smile:

I have studied architecture at Glasgow School of Art and Dundee University and Dundee has a far better set up for architecture students if you are sporty, but I agree with ddeedee's comments - architecture schools pretend to be caring and will say anything to fill their courses but once in, if you run into trouble, you'll see a very different side. He/she is also right about the weird marking system but this weird, 100% subjective marking system, which defies any logic, is the same on all RIBA accedited courses in the world. Strathclyde is not unique.

My experience of studying architecture was so bad I wrote a book about it to try to warn others, it is called Brick Wall. I've received nothing but positive feedback (from PRACTISING ARCHITECTS). I've also written a mega short one called 15 Reason NOT to Study Architecture. These have been bought by academics in the UK and abroad by those concerned with the high drop-out rates.

THE GSoA library recently purchased, in paperback, my book titled, Architecture "Education" by Moira M. Malcolm which includes both books so if you're in Glasgow you could pop in there to have a read. Each book includes, in an appendix, opinions of architecture students and practising architects and I would advise you read them before embarking on this lengthy course.

Only 18% of those beginning architecture will ever qualify as architects and I feel a duty to warn students. Just do some research before you go and research architects salaries too. Of the 18% how many can support their families? You need to know this before taking on debt. Architecture is the most expensive university course and 30 years ago students received a materials grant of £100 per year. You need to buy materials, books, a laptop & software etc. and find the money to go on a study trip each year. Good fun but it all costs. GOOD LUCK!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by juste_j
Hello,
I've got offers from Strathclyde, Dundee and unconditional offer from Glasgow School of Art. I started thinking about which uni I shall put as my firm and insurance choice.

Dundee (it takes 18th place) is ranked higher in studying architecture than Glasgow School of Art(23) but the latter is more globally recognised (top 60 uni in the world) plus it is a beautiful and historical city that I quite like. What do you think about Strathclyde for architecture?

Could you all give me some advice please? Thanks in advance :smile:

I know this was years ago you asked about this but I’m now in the same position. I have offers for all of these unis but im deciding between GSA and Strathclyde. What one did u choose? Did u feel like u chose the right uni because I feel like Strathclyde is actually better but GSA is so prestigious I feel like I want to go there. Please help :smile:) :smile:)))
Original post by Nickvswild
Aye mate I'm from Sydney how are ya. I'm going to do architecture in Strathclyde too in 2017. I got an offer from GSA but I chose to go Strathclyde. I did heaps of research online and both of them really go neck and neck, it's so hard to choose. I went to Glasgow to have a look at the campuses which helped me to make my decision. GSA at the time was under renovation but from what I saw it was only one building and not part of a campus, plus the area looks really dodgy, especially at night. The Strathclyde architecture building is part of a campus and it's pretty big, the studios looks alright as well, and the uni is in a pretty safe location so I went with Strathclyde. These only threads and reviews really scared me though saying Strathclyde is poop, but student surveys said the uni is ****en great so..... see u there mate. Cheers.

Do you like the course now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending