The Student Room Group

What things do you want to see made legal/illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrogInABog
Funnily enough, although I used it, the 'naturalistic' argument isn't the thought that crosses my mind when I sit down to eat some meat. The only two things that I think are: it tastes good (I know, not a reasonable argument), and it provides good sustenance.

Besides, it's not a naturalistic fallacy at all. I know that I could eat beans and pulses for protein, and I frequently do, but I also believe in having variation. Meat is a very natural thing to eat, as it is an excellent source of essential nutrients, so I personally see it as an important part of my diet. I am sure, before you do, that you could quote many vegetarian nutritionists who say that meat is totally unnecessary/unhealthy, but I think it's far better for me to eat meat than to take the numerous vitamin/mineral supplements I would probably otherwise need.

Edit: I don't want to hijack this thread, and I'm sure we've both heard all the arguments for and against meat a million times before, so that's it from me! Don't bother telling me that I'm admitting defeat, I know you're thinking it :tongue:

Lol, you really don't understand the naturalistic fallacy at all, do you?
I think that consent should be absolute - the defence of consent should be available to any crime (although obviously a written statement should be required for euthanasia).
Intellectual property law should be relaxed considerably, as it's currently far too restrictive and cuts down unfairly on the public domain.
Really awful sporting conduct should be criminally prosecutable (i.e. well outside the laws of the game in question).
Private schools should be abolished.
Redundancy payments should be made much higher.
Original post by oo00oo
Is there really a difference? From where does the government derive its right to my money, and the money of anybody else?

I have never signed anything waiving my right to certain proportions of my money. I have never voted for any party that supports taxing individuals.

This is because as a new born you were not of sufficient intelligence to 'sign' anything, and so your parents entered you into the social contract by using their powers of custody to decide that this country would be your place of residence. As an adult you are 100% free to renounce your citizenship at any time thus voiding the contract but obviously you'll no longer be entitled to the protections and services of the state and you'll be forced to leave. I believe the country that comes closest to resembling your ideal is Somalia. Feel free to move.
Reply 83
Yes to legalizing cannabis and mushrooms, a no brainer for sure.
I dream of a day when mushrooms are used in therapy... I wont hold my breath though.

As for criminalizing something? Idk.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
I would like to see the legalisation of weed and the delegalisation of alcohol

Being a fond drinker myself at social events such as parties has always been fine, no huge disputes or anything of the sort. But you get the alcohol abuse, which is why alcohol should not be allowed, the effects of alcohol is not important on the individual, but on the social aspects. The long prison terms for drink driving, a large cause of family breakdown (or what I believe to be the main cause) and the causation of death.

And my points for the legalisation of weed, being under the influence of weed is less viable for harm to others, the classic weed smoker is a hobo sitting down in an alley drowsy and starving as hell! It has no where near as much harm to large social group, however the implication of smoking weed by law are huge, and what I see as unneeded, that money could be used to crack down on higher category drugs and rehabilitation of those who have done drugs and cannot stop.

Oh and seeing as I haven't mentioned it the delegalising of the terrorist laws, I hate it went officers carry out "random" checks when I walk past a park because I am an Asian/ White British teenager. There is no reason that you can't take pictures of certain areas of London as it is seen as a threat, that a load of BS that Officers of the law make up.

Sources myself and some YouTube videos.
Reply 85
I would legalize that isn't already......

Gun ownership
Drugs
Prostitution
Assisted suicide

are just a few that come to mind.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Captain Haddock
This is because as a new born you were not of sufficient intelligence to 'sign' anything, and so your parents entered you into the social contract by using their powers of custody to decide that this country would be your place of residence. As an adult you are 100% free to renounce your citizenship at any time thus voiding the contract but obviously you'll no longer be entitled to the protections and services of the state and you'll be forced to leave. I believe the country that comes closest to resembling your ideal is Somalia. Feel free to move.

I don't want to renounce my citizenship, I just don't want to pay for things I don't want and won't use through coercion, and since I don't see where any government derives its right to uplift my capital, I don't see why there should even have to be a debate about it.

I own my goods and capital. They derive no moral right to take it. Therefore, I should exercise choice over whether or not I should keep it or give it to them.
Original post by hamijack
Driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal yet alcohol is legal. I imagine similar sorts of laws would be implemented for weed.

True!
Original post by oo00oo
I don't want to renounce my citizenship,

Well then stop complaining.
Reply 89
Original post by Captain Haddock
Well then stop complaining.

Eh? So if you see flaws in your country, you should either emigrate or stop complaining?

That's not the way things work in a so called "democracy" (or so I'm told). If you see things you don't like, then you should complain about them, raise awareness, and do your damndest to affect change.

If that's your attitude then why don't we do away with elections and freedom of choice and let people just "like or lump" whater comes their way.

Don't be so ridiculous.

In case you didn't realise, the whole point of this thread was to tell the forum what changes you'd like to see made in law so as to bring society closer to your own personal ideals. Hence, your presence in the thread, telling people to "stop complaining" is completely and utterly redundant.
Original post by Davethedavedave
I would legalize that isn't already......

Gun ownership
Drugs
Prostitution
Assisted suicide

are just a few that come to mind.

Seriously gun ownership :lolwut: Way too risky in my eyes
I think infant circumcision should be illegal (for both genders) in keeping with the laws on all other non-therapeutic body modifications. Should only be legal for consenting adults making decisions about their own bodies.
Reply 92
Original post by Multitalented me
Seriously gun ownership :lolwut: Way too risky in my eyes

Fair enough. I don't want it because I have a gun fetish or anything like that. But I can't see how it is fair that the state gets to dictate to people what they can and can not own.

So if someone wants own a fire arm, no problem. If they want to use it for sporting reasons, no problem. Etc etc

If some wants to use to inflict harm on others, big problem. However Many countries around the world allow gun ownership without problems. Also the fact that we ban so much is a symbol of our governments lack of trust in us.
Original post by the-snail

Smoking in pubs (not a smoker myself but think this is one of the reasons alot of pubs are losing money/shutting down)

But why should non-smokers have to put up with someone's dirty habit? And what about those with chest / lung diseases?
Reply 94
Legal:

Cannabis
Smoking in pubs (not a smoker myself but think this is one of the reasons alot of pubs are losing money/shutting down)
Handguns

Doing 80 mph on dual carriageways/motorways

Illegal:

Speed cameras (both temporary and permanent)Doorstep lending
No win-no fee legal services

Actually, a lot of pubs gained money from making smoking inside illegal, as more people would go in there...and those who do insist on smoking just pop outside for a minute.

Oh why the **** would you want handguns made legal???

And Speedcameras help to catch a hell of a lot of people speeding, and they can also be used to track peoples movements if they are missing/ wanted by the police. I can see that somepeople may think this is an invasion of their privacy, but surely the benefits outweigh the harms they do.
Reply 95
Original post by OU Student
But why should non-smokers have to put up with someone's dirty habit? And what about those with chest / lung diseases?

As I said I'm not a smoker myself but think the ban caused alot of pubs to lose money. I know it's annoying but personally I would rather have a smoky pub than no pub at all. At the very least I think it should be up to the landlord to decide whether they want to allow smoking in their pub or not.

Original post by Fward
Actually, a lot of pubs gained money from making smoking inside illegal, as more people would go in there...and those who do insist on smoking just pop outside for a minute.

What about the smokers who stay at home because they can't smoke in the pub?

Original post by Fward
Oh why the **** would you want handguns made legal???

For self-defence and freedom reasons - would rather have the freedom to own one for self-defence than the security (or sometimes, illusion of security - some criminals will get their hands on weapons no matter what you do) that comes from them being illegal.

Original post by Fward
And Speedcameras help to catch a hell of a lot of people speeding, and they can also be used to track peoples movements if they are missing/ wanted by the police. I can see that somepeople may think this is an invasion of their privacy, but surely the benefits outweigh the harms they do.

I think temporary speed cameras and similar devices (eg. the speed vans, cops with the 'speed gun' etc) can be a bit underhand - they are supposed to be visible but to be honest, sometimes they aren't. Think this borders on entrapment sometimes. Also even permanent speed cameras have a problem in my view; they're a scam. It's not about safety, it's about making money. They are also a distraction to drivers - the driver isn't thinking about other traffic etc like he/she should be, they're thinking 'am I going too fast' and watching the speedo instead. So not sure they bring much in the way of benefits.
Reply 96

What about the smokers who stay at home because they can't smoke in the pub?

For self-defence and freedom reasons - would rather have the freedom to own one for self-defence than the security (or sometimes, illusion of security - some criminals will get their hands on weapons no matter what you do) that comes from them being illegal.

I think temporary speed cameras and similar devices (eg. the speed vans, cops with the 'speed gun' etc) can be a bit underhand - they are supposed to be visible but to be honest, sometimes they aren't. Think this borders on entrapment sometimes. Also even permanent speed cameras have a problem in my view; they're a scam. It's not about safety, it's about making money. They are also a distraction to drivers - the driver isn't thinking about other traffic etc like he/she should be, they're thinking 'am I going too fast' and watching the speedo instead. So not sure they bring much in the way of benefits.

Well i haven't heard of anyone not going to the pub cos they can't smoke, and to be honest if they do it's their problem, as a much larger proportion of the population are happy its illegal.

But think about it, allowing guns to be legal would cause much more trouble than already exists. Just because you may use it for self defence, it doesnt mean everyone would....

I have heard before that speedtraps that aren't visible can't be used to prosectute, but not sure on that....also the drivers should always be conscious of their speed and the surrounding traffic....if they're not then they shouldnt really be on the roads anyway
Oh, finally, there should be no defence for 'defence of property'. If you have a choice between hurting someone and letting them take your property, it really should be the latter.

Gun ownership is fine so long as we bump up sentences for firing them inappropriately six or seven times. If you shoot at someone, it should be a mandatory life sentence.
Reply 98
For those suggesting that the legalization of cannabis and regulation of prostitution would be the destruction of our society quite a few countries have already done the same and continue to function properly. The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium all have legal and regulated prostitution and everyone knows about Amsterdam's reputation concerning weed, when I was there basically everyone smoking are tourists.
Original post by 08rbut
Do you not see that as a slippery slope? I mean active involuntary euthanasia is basically just murder, is it not? And how many murders could be claimed to be assisted suicides?
It's pretty daft to consider the "legalisation of euthanasia" to mean some free-for-all get out of murder charge option. You don't go from one extreme to the other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending