The Student Room Group

Feeling like complete crap about my life...

Today I woke up and decided to make today a good day. I wore my new nice clothes and put effort into my hair and make-up. I was feeling confident and feminine.

Fast forward a few hours and my brother is sat in front of me picking out all of my flaws in my face features - big nose, facial hair (I'm a girl), 'scary eyes', etc. He said this in front of my brothers and in hearing distance of my parents. I felt so embarrassed but just laughed it off then went to my room and cried.

Just when I thought today couldn't get any worse my Mum comes in and slags off my personality, calling be boring. I can't argue with that because I am boring, my life is one big disaster. I'm fat, ugly, have facial hair, no friends, no job, etc. The only thing going for me is good grades which are just a product of having nothing better to do in my spare time.

There's constant tension in my family. Neither of my parents work for medical reasons that are personal and I don't wish to disclose; they're not just lazy. My Dad is always angry, constantly shouting at my mum to tell my brothers off, etc. My Mum comes to me with all her problems about my Dad because she can never actually talk to him about them because he just won't listen and instead will just shout and it's embarassing when our neighbours can hear everything.

To top it all off, the only guy at my sixth form who makes the week bearable during our 5 minute conversations we have occasionally (less than once a week usually) is now in a relationship.

I just want to quit sixth form and just do nothing. I have no desire for life anymore, no excitement, nothing. In fact the only thing I'm looking forward to right now is how I'm going to go downstairs and binge on food and watch TV. Someone help me, please.
Reply 1
I'm pretty sure your brother is just joking around and doesn't mean it, it can be hard sometimes but often have to take it on the chin. Don't call yourself boring, everyone is unique and I'm sure your personality is great your mum is probably just having a hard time at the minute and doesn't mean it. Self confidence problems are very difficult, I myself suffer from it, but you have to remember that you are great and constantly putting yourself down is not healthy. Your giving yourself a hard time, just sit back and realise you deserve better from yourself. Don't call yourself ugly or fat, and if you feel that way try exercising and doing things to make yourself feel better, studies show exercising greatly increases our happiness. I'm sorry to hear about your parents arguing, it's always a difficult thing to go through but keep strong. Although at this moment of your life you feel hopeless you have to find that hope and realise that things will get better. Don't quit sixth form, keep going and make something of yourself, go to university and find yourself, make great new friends and enjoy life. As far as we are certain we only have one life, and we have to make the most of it. I know how you feel, I have been there but keep going. And if you constantly feel depressed you need to speak to someone about it, a teacher, your mother and if it really is serious a doctor. I really do wish you the best! Hope I have helped at least a bit.
Original post by Anonymous
Today I woke up and decided to make today a good day. I wore my new nice clothes and put effort into my hair and make-up. I was feeling confident and feminine.

Fast forward a few hours and my brother is sat in front of me picking out all of my flaws in my face features - big nose, facial hair (I'm a girl), 'scary eyes', etc. He said this in front of my brothers and in hearing distance of my parents. I felt so embarrassed but just laughed it off then went to my room and cried.

Just when I thought today couldn't get any worse my Mum comes in and slags off my personality, calling be boring. I can't argue with that because I am boring, my life is one big disaster. I'm fat, ugly, have facial hair, no friends, no job, etc. The only thing going for me is good grades which are just a product of having nothing better to do in my spare time.

There's constant tension in my family. Neither of my parents work for medical reasons that are personal and I don't wish to disclose; they're not just lazy. My Dad is always angry, constantly shouting at my mum to tell my brothers off, etc. My Mum comes to me with all her problems about my Dad because she can never actually talk to him about them because he just won't listen and instead will just shout and it's embarassing when our neighbours can hear everything.

To top it all off, the only guy at my sixth form who makes the week bearable during our 5 minute conversations we have occasionally (less than once a week usually) is now in a relationship.

I just want to quit sixth form and just do nothing. I have no desire for life anymore, no excitement, nothing. In fact the only thing I'm looking forward to right now is how I'm going to go downstairs and binge on food and watch TV. Someone help me, please.

I've been through similar stuff to this, I know its not nice at all. I cant give you any advice cause I dont know how to deal withit myself, I constantly just wish I was back at my uni halls. But I just wanted to say, your education will be your ticket out of the situation youre in, getting into uni, and moving away from home is the best thing ive done for myself.

I hope things improve for you soon. if you want to pm me feel free :smile:.
Reply 3
Hey- from an outsiders POV it seems that your home environment seems to be affecting you and your life the most rather than the way you look/are. I would definately not quit 6th form especially if you are getting good grades, because from personal experience i just worked hard through that so that i could start afresh at university (or college/job etc) and being away from that environment changes you a lot.

Sounds like you cant really talk to anyone specifically about the crap at home etc- in the short term, i guess you have all of us here and that should help in a way. I know its hard, but try and use that rubbish environment to work harder and get into uni to live a completely different life.

and without sounding patronising (if thats even possible lol) pretty brave letting it all out
Reply 4
I'm fat, ugly, have facial hair, no friends, no job, etc.

I bet you're not that bad! Anyway you can change all these things. The only thing holding yourself back is you. Eat healthier, get to the gym, work on your CV, apply for jobs, join job hunting classes, do more social activities, meet people, get out there but most importantly BE HAPPY. Nobody likes people who mope around, if you're happy you will naturally attract people. Try it even for one day and you will feel better! If you put in the hard work now in the future You will look back on these days and laugh at the things that are getting you down now.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm fat, ugly, have facial hair, no friends, no job, etc.

Go on a diet, use make-up, get rid of your facial hair, go out/join clubs/whatever, look for a job. Doing any of these things will be more useful than bitching on the internet.
Reply 6
Original post by MancBoy
BE HAPPY. Nobody likes people who mope around, if you're happy you will naturally attract people. Try it even for one day and you will feel better!

Truth. So many people have to remind me 'be happy' ..and it actually works! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by OK Computer
Truth. So many people have to remind me 'be happy' ..and it actually works! :biggrin:

Does it? :confused: I'd have thought if you weren't happy or were annoyed or something, someone saying "Be happy!" would just annoy the hell out of you.
Or were you being sarcastic? I can't tell over the internet.
Original post by MancBoy
I bet you're not that bad! Anyway you can change all these things. The only thing holding yourself back is you. Eat healthier, get to the gym, work on your CV, apply for jobs, join job hunting classes, do more social activities, meet people, get out there but most importantly BE HAPPY. Nobody likes people who mope around, if you're happy you will naturally attract people. Try it even for one day and you will feel better! If you put in the hard work now in the future You will look back on these days and laugh at the things that are getting you down now.

This. Don't just glance at it, think 'oh yeah, I could do that stuff', switch off and forget about it and continue to feel rubbish. If you want things to change, YOU have to do the work. You have to do things that are out of your comfort zone if you want to see real change.

I know it can be hard to value yourself when your family don't seem to. But this is your whole life we're talking about. Habitual patterns that you fall into now may still with you you're whole life, and it's not fair that these should be decided by circumstances that are out of your control i.e. your home environment.

Don't quit sixth form whatever you do, because it's your passport away from all that badness. Make sure you get to uni, because once you're there, you'll be in complete control of your circumstances. Imagine that! No bickering family to come home to! And you just won't get away as easily if it's not through uni.

Uni is a godsent for everyone from a difficult home.

Do those things on the list. Do as much of it as you can - and I'm sure there's a way to do ALL of them.

However big you think your problems are now, there's a whole wide world out there, and when you're away from home for the first time, I want you to meet it with an open mind, not one contorted with mistrust and insecurity. That is no way to live!
Reply 9
Original post by Piko_Piko
Does it? :confused: I'd have thought if you weren't happy or were annoyed or something, someone saying "Be happy!" would just annoy the hell out of you.
Or were you being sarcastic? I can't tell over the internet.

Haha no it wasn't sarcasm! It does work for me, and it got annoying until I actually tried it. When I smile it automatically makes me feel a bit happier :tongue:
You need to make a change.

1) Get a healthy diet, meaning no junk.
2) Do exercise.
3) Apply for and go to university.

When you get to 3), you will be happy. Trust me. It sounds like your family is dragging you down. Ignore them and spend as little time with them as possible. When I was in the end of 5th form and beginning of 6th form there were family issues making me very unhappy. I basically cut myself off from my family as much as possible while still living in the same house as them, now the most contact I have with them when I'm not at uni is eating meals and when we go out for something, I can almost pretend I'm not living with these problems. You CAN do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending