The Student Room Group

can i do the ukcat even though i have a medicine offer??

Scroll to see replies

What's wrong with BSMS?
Feel free to drop out anyway, you are just making yourself look stupid.
I'm just going to ignore nosaer now since he seems incapable of reading what I write, responding to something I actually said, being honest about what he actually said or responding with any sort of maturity.

As for the rest of the comments, I agree with some of your sentiments, I just personally feel it would be a great shame not to say anything about the risks or (even worse) encourage OP given the importance of the decision he's making. I'm sure other applicants can sympathise :rolleyes:. I think OPs general question has been answered at this point, so without further response from OP we might have said all we can at this point regarding the feasibility of his plan of action.
Reply 82
OP
I got an unconditional offer in 2008 for Aberdeen but when my finances fell apart I had to withdraw. I just couldnt find a way to fund my course (graduate here!)

I reapplied for 2010 entry, only to Glasgow Uni, as that was the only place I could afford to go. I got rejected when they increased their UKCAT cut off.

I reapplied in 2011, thinking that although I money was tough, I couldn't put all my eggs in one basket, so applied to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Manchester and St Andrews. I got 3 rejections and 1 offer. For Aberdeen, I never even got an interview.. My academics and UKCAT were the same as 2008, and I now had 2 years experience working as a staff nurse! So on paper I improved, but suddenly I never even got an interview!!

St Andrews was never a place I had considered before, and I have had to make a lot of changes and difficult decisions but I accepted my place and now am 4 weeks away from finishing 1st year. And I can honestly say it was the best thing I did!

So yes, you could turn down this place, and reapply next year. But you really are running the risk of being left with nothing, or a long wait to actually get back in again.. If I had gone in 2008, I would be finishing 4th year and almost there..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Davidragon
I'm just going to ignore nosaer now since he seems incapable of reading what I write, responding to something I actually said, being honest about what he actually said or responding with any sort of maturity.

As for the rest of the comments, I agree with some of your sentiments, I just personally feel it would be a great shame not to say anything about the risks or (even worse) encourage OP given the importance of the decision he's making. I'm sure other applicants can sympathise :rolleyes:. I think OPs general question has been answered at this point, so without further response from OP we might have said all we can at this point regarding the feasibility of his plan of action.

I don't see how I can be dishonest about anything I've said when its all there for everyone to see.

And if you're talking about me, please quote me. Thanks. :smile:

Feel free to ignore me though. It doesn't require another post.
Reply 84
medicine is such a risky subject that you may reject that offer and then not get in next year even if you applied to that place again.

anyway a high UKCAT doesn't even guarantee an interview at most places that use it and those that do it in no way guarantees you a place.

But yes you can take it.
Reply 85
Even if you don't really like the medical school- from having all rejections I've learnt I am applying to be a doctor NOT a medical student and so next year will apply where will take me rather than the campus of the uni. Unless it is a course that you absolutely cannot stand (and if thats the case I ask why did you apply- I knew the courses I was applying to inside out) would I even consider dropping out.
Reply 86
Original post by Bubble87
Once you firm our offer you are legally obliged to go to that institution unless they agree to release you and there's no guarantee they will do that.

where the hell you getting this from?
Original post by .eXe
where the hell you getting this from?

It says as much here

http://www.ucas.com/students/offers/replyingtoyouroffers

You'd need to contact the uni to see if they'll let you go if you have an offer and met your grades.
Reply 88
It says as much here

You'd need to contact the uni to see if they'll let you go if you have an offer and met your grades.

Not the case.. I have firmly accepted offers, once for medicine and when I was younger for a music degree, but pulled out in the month before I was due to start. They never turned up at my door to drag me away to uni, and it certainly never stopped me from applying after that.

Sorry, I should be clearer.. I never contacted the universities in question to ask if they would let me give up my offer. I made my decision then contacted them and said that unfortunately I was unable to start the course this year and was officially withdrawing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by polldoll
Not the case.. I have firmly accepted offers, once for medicine and when I was younger for a music degree, but pulled out in the month before I was due to start. They never turned up at my door to drag me away to uni, and it certainly never stopped me from applying after that.

Sorry, I should be clearer.. I never contacted the universities in question to ask if they would let me give up my offer. I made my decision then contacted them and said that unfortunately I was unable to start the course this year and was officially withdrawing.

I'm not saying they would, but officially firmly accepting an offer means you are committed to the course. If you meet the grades you are 'obliged' to begin.

In your case things turned out like so but we can't say that is true in all cases. We can't know if there would be 0 complications in every case, but yes a university obviously can't force you to attend and would probably let it be.

And yes, it wouldn't stop you applying in the future. But unless you had a fairly good reason, you'd have a hard time explaining your actions at any future medical interviews, plus the increasing difficulty of getting a place at all. I'd say it's a scenario best avoided if possible, though obviously sometimes people don't necessarily have much of a choice.
Reply 90
I'm not saying they would, but officially firmly accepting an offer means you are committed to the course. If you meet the grades you are 'obliged' to begin.

In your case things turned out like so but we can't say that is true in all cases. We can't know if there would be 0 complications in every case, but yes a university obviously can't force you to attend and would probably let it be.

And yes, it wouldn't stop you applying in the future. But unless you had a fairly good reason, you'd have a hard time explaining your actions at any future medical interviews, plus the increasing difficulty of getting a place at all. I'd say it's a scenario best avoided if possible, though obviously sometimes people don't necessarily have much of a choice.

Fair enough. Just one thing though, when I reapplied for medicine, the universities were not aware that I applied before, or that I had help a place and withdrawn prior to starting. So I guess it is up to you if you choose to mention it in your interview or not. I know I did in my St Andrews interview, and that obviously didn't put them off!
Original post by polldoll
Fair enough. Just one thing though, when I reapplied for medicine, the universities were not aware that I applied before, or that I had help a place and withdrawn prior to starting. So I guess it is up to you if you choose to mention it in your interview or not. I know I did in my St Andrews interview, and that obviously didn't put them off!

Hhm, okay then. I thought universities were likely to enquire a lot about "why you think you were rejected from medicine last year" or expect you to reflect on it in your personal statement or something (which would be harder to do if you didn't actually get 4 rejections). I suppose like you said, it does depend on the individual.
Reply 92
It says as much here

thanks, I was just surprised that a firm = you were committed because I can think of a whole host of things that might prevent someone from attending even a firmed course. But I guess it' all up to the university's discretion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending