The Student Room Group

Where is the best beer from?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Germany, Belgium and the Czech Republic :smile:

I find American and British beer rather unpleasant :colonhash:
Reply 21
I genuinely don't think there is a single good American Beer... not even vaguely good... they're all terrible
Debatable. I think the UK, Germany and Belgium all draw for first place. For me Germany is the king of the lager and the Bavarian breweries make by far the best of them (Augustiner Helles = :coma:) and of course they make some exceptional wheat beers, my favourite being Augustiner/Hacker. Having schwarzbier, kölsch and altbier as region-specific specialities is great as well. Nothing better in summer than sitting in a garden and knocking back a litre of helles.

UK ale is obviously warmer and therefore reminds me more of cozy winter days. Think British beer is much more of an acquired taste than German, but it's still drinkable and you can have quite a good session without getting too drunk. Unlike in Germany. I quite like light ales, like Sambrook's Wandle and Fuller's Discovery, and the odd best bitter, like London Pride, Cains Finest or Adnams Broadside. Not so much a fan of the stronger stuff like Abbot/Hobgoblin.

Belgian beer just reminds me of getting drunk! Their beers taste amazing (Bush Blonde = love) but I can barely handle one or two without flying off the handle. Absolutely love Kwak for the taste and glass. Much better than pilsners and great for parties.

Feel bad for leaving the Czech Republic so far back as it's been revolutionary in beer evolution, but pilsners don't do much for me. Can drink them, and I'd say the CR has the best of them, like Staropramen, Budvar and Urquell. But the more famous, popular ones are terrible.

Finally, the US. Mixed bag. Underrated in that it has some great breweries (Goose Island, Blue Moon, Brooklyn!) but overrated in that hardly anyone knows about them and too many people drink crap like Coors and Budweiser. A shame that the bad beer sells well!
Reply 23
I've heard that German firms can't add 'junk' chemicals to the beer unlike every other country. Don't know whether this is true though.
I met someone who had worked in a pub that served Harvey's Sussex Bitter and had never tried it. Sad but true.

UK has some lovely beers for a session, Belgium the best choice but a lot are strong.
Reply 25
Original post by MancStudent098
It definitely has to be between the UK and Germany, personally I would say the UK on the basis that there is simply more variety in the British brewing tradition - that said British ales can be an acquired taste and if your palette veers more towards the lager and wheat beer spectrum I can see why you'd pick Germany.

I think Belgium strolls a third. Brewing in the USA is not the joke it once was - there's certainly a greater variety than there once was but they need to learn not to make everything so damn sweet and they lose points for the fact that good beer is still a niche market there, not a standard fact of life as in most of Europe. Therefore the Netherlands, the Czech Republic and Ireland can play off for 4th, 5th and 6th place.

More variety in Britain? You reckon? Possibly in the last few years, but until recently the beer being brewed over him was very limited. Commercial lager aside, we have porter, stout, and mild (all very similar). bitter and brown ale, and IPA and pale ale. All served luke warm, all using pretty much the same grassy flavoured hops, just some are darker and more bitter than others.

Whereas Germany has always had helles and pilsners and hefeweissen and krystalweissen and berlinerweissen and dunkels and schwartzbiers and marzen and koelsh and altbiers and rauchbiers and etc etc etc.
Reply 26
Original post by rockrunride
(Augustiner Helles = :coma:) and of course they make some exceptional wheat beers, my favourite being Augustiner/Hacker.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! A fan of Augustiner!!! Best Beer in the world by a long way :P
Reply 28
Original post by Fusion
I've heard that German firms can't add 'junk' chemicals to the beer unlike every other country. Don't know whether this is true though.

They do have a reigensvehbotenvoten or whatever its called, which is basically a stringent set of rules.

However: most brewers in other companies also obey pretty strict purity laws simply to produce a good quality of beer.

The obvious exception being stella artois which prides itself on "4 ingredients: barley, water, hops and maize". Of course lager SHOULD only have 4 ingredients, but those ingredients should be water barley hops and yeast. Stella ignore the yeast (so they're basically lying). Maize is simply a cost saving adjunct.
Reply 29
Beer Purity Law of 1516 (Germany)

I voted Czech, though i'm a little biased :wink:
I love going to Munich though (aside from the opportunity to don my Lederhosen) - Paulaner, Augustiner, HB...i don't discriminate!
There's a lot to be said for all the countries on that list, but stay away from the American owned megabrews.

Prost/Nazdravi
Reply 30
Remember to join the group everyone here who likes a beer of whatever description, which should be everyone in this thread. We can't let wine beat us, thats just ****ed up.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1912
Britain personally.
I do love Weissbeer (sp) but for me it's got to be a traditional english ale. Mainly that of Oxfordshire (Hook Norton, Brakspear)
Reply 33
Original post by Fusion

Technically, there are several ways a German brewery could add other ingredients, but just as rare exceptions. The rule dates back to 1516.

Original post by py0alb
They do have a reigensvehbotenvoten or whatever its called, which is basically a stringent set of rules.

As a German I really had to laugh reading this word :biggrin: It is actually the Reinheitsgebot (Reinheit meaning purity and Gebot meaning rule/imperative).
Reply 34
Original post by Sir Fox
Technically, there are several ways a German brewery could add other ingredients, but just as rare exceptions. The rule dates back to 1516.

As a German I really had to laugh reading this word :biggrin: It is actually the Reinheitsgebot (Reinheit meaning purity and Gebot meaning rule/imperative).

As a german, what do you think of British beer? As a separate question, what do you think of serving beer warm?
Original post by py0alb
More variety in Britain? You reckon? Possibly in the last few years, but until recently the beer being brewed over him was very limited. Commercial lager aside, we have porter, stout, and mild (all very similar). bitter and brown ale, and IPA and pale ale. All served luke warm, all using pretty much the same grassy flavoured hops, just some are darker and more bitter than others.

Whereas Germany has always had helles and pilsners and hefeweissen and krystalweissen and berlinerweissen and dunkels and schwartzbiers and marzen and koelsh and altbiers and rauchbiers and etc etc etc.

I think we come a little bit into the US category in that although we brew a lot of good beers most people drink generic crap - or drink Brahma and Coors and tell you that they're 'into beer'.

That said the range over here is actually extremely wide - there's all the traditional beers (the stouts, porters, bitters etc) that have been available for ages, plus the new wave of micro brewing doing everything from lagers and witbier to fruit beers and bocks.

Basically I just think that you'd probably find it easier to get a German wheat beer brewed in the UK than a British porter brewed in Germany.
Reply 36
Original post by Barden
USA? Really?

I had an APA once (american pale ale) which was actually pretty decent.
Not mind blowing, but I was expecting much worse and better than a fair few English pale ales I've had.

My vote goes to England though, as ale is my thing. My experience of Scottish ales is limited but Deuchars is a good pint. My experience with Welsh wasn't good and my experience with northern irish ale is non-existent. Generally the darker the better - the taste is usually more intense.

What's the matter, lagerboy, afraid you might taste something?

That said, I've been drinking a lot of Hobgoblin from tinnies recently and even that has started to taste a bit bland for me.
Reply 37
Original post by MancStudent098
I think we come a little bit into the US category in that although we brew a lot of good beers most people drink generic crap - or drink Brahma and Coors and tell you that they're 'into beer'.

That said the range over here is actually extremely wide - there's all the traditional beers (the stouts, porters, bitters etc) that have been available for ages, plus the new wave of micro brewing doing everything from lagers and witbier to fruit beers and bocks.

Basically I just think that you'd probably find it easier to get a German wheat beer brewed in the UK than a British porter brewed in Germany.

That last point is a good one (also applies to food). Although the UK may not be the best brewer in the world (although its right up there), it is easy to get good foreign beer.

Any microbreweries and microbrewed beers that you would particularly recommend?
Original post by Manitude
My vote goes to England though, as ale is my thing.

Same. So, so many really great breweries around Yorkshire too. My staple ale is Fursty Ferret. I couldn't name a favourite... tried far too many types to remember. Doom Bar is by far the easiest ale I've ever drunk. It just goes down like water...
Reply 39
Original post by mikeyd85
Same. So, so many really great breweries around Yorkshire too. My staple ale is Fursty Ferret. I couldn't name a favourite... tried far too many types to remember. Doom Bar is by far the easiest ale I've ever drunk. It just goes down like water...

Ferret's a good family favourite here. My father has been known to clear ASDA of their stock when it's £1 a bottle :colone:
Doom bar is decent enough, though the most 'quaffable' ale I can think of is Robinson's Double Hop. Robinson's aren't renowned as a great brewer, but this was genuinely very good.

Quick Reply

Latest